Drop ins for SureFire G2

Bullyson

Enlightened
I've seen the Solarforce Cree 820 lumen and Ultrafire SST-50 1000 lumen drop ins for the G2 on eBay and would like opinions on them and if there's other drop ins that fit the G2 with high lumens?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 with a Malkoff M91. If you install and LED, change the bezel to metal. Metal will help conduct the heat away from the LED. Malkoff is a well-known reliable manufacturer with excellent customer support (should you ever need it).

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
"High lumens" and "Surefire G2" should never be used in the same sentence. The Nitrolon body will retain the heat even if you change the bezel to an aluminum one. The end result would be an overheated light engine and the "high lumens" will end up being low lumens due to heat soaking the drop-in and the LED's life will be reduced as well. The only drive level I would feel comfortable with to use with a Nitrolon flashlight body with an aluminum bezel would be about 500mA. At that drive current you'll get around 200 OTF lumens using an XM-L. If you really want high lumens from your light then I would suggest that you buy a 6P and work on that one.

Last edited:

FPSRelic

Enlightened
"High lumens" and "Surefire G2" should never be used in the same sentence. The Nitrolon body will retain the heat even if you change the bezel to an aluminum one. The end result would be an overheated light engine and the "high lumens" will end up being low lumens due to heat soaking the drop-in and the LED's life will be reduced as well. The only drive level I would feel comfortable with to use with a Nitrolon flashlight body with an aluminum bezel would be about 500mA. At that drive current you'll get around 200 OTF lumens using an XM-L. If you really want high lumens from your light then I would suggest that you buy a 6P and work on that one.

+1.

Buy a bored 6P or C2 and go a nice Nailbender Dropin. But on't throw away the G2. For that, I would humbly suggest a Malkoff M61L or M61LL drop in. Both will work happily in a G2 from when you switch it on until the batteries run out. The M61L will give you 175 lumes for 5 hours, the M61LL will give you 100 lumens for 10 hours. And don't let the lumens fool you! The beam on the M61L IMO is better than some of the 800 lumen screamers I have.

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
+1.

Buy a bored 6P or C2 and go a nice Nailbender Dropin. But on't throw away the G2. For that, I would humbly suggest a Malkoff M61L or M61LL drop in. Both will work happily in a G2 from when you switch it on until the batteries run out. The M61L will give you 175 lumes for 5 hours, the M61LL will give you 100 lumens for 10 hours. And don't let the lumens fool you! The beam on the M61L IMO is better than some of the 800 lumen screamers I have.

I agree with FPSRelic in that you should look into the Malkoff M61L or M61LL series as they are bright and will work without danger of overheating, don't get me wrong as there are most definately other manufacturers out there but Malkoff is the only brand that I have used with Surefire's

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have another G2 with a 3.7v Chinese bulb using a 17670. It is not as bright as a P60 on 2 Surefire batteries, but with the rechargeable batter, it runs for free!

Rawhide

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce aint so bad. I wrapped some with aluminum tape and heatsink is great.