Viva TL-3

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one today. I will post a full review and pictures in the next 24-36.

But let me say this - M3 just got it's rear kicked! TL3 is MUCH smaller, with MUCH better beam, pocket clip AND spare lamp!!! Oh and for the quarter price of M3./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

p.s. Please don't say that M3 I have is faulty - I had three of em....

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really have anything that I could personally compare to other than a 2 cell scorpion which would not be a fair assessment. I do have a few rechargeables that I might be able to compare with. I am quite please with mine, and the extra bulb coupled with the price, my oh my...

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
I just got one today too . . . really like it ALOT! It has an awesome beam that you could guide aircraft in with! I got it to replace the slot that my UK SL6 had and it fits that bill NICELY!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
FC is right, and I'm starting to wonder why I sold mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Great minds think alike, I too said it kicked M3's arse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any minute Al will come running........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me add for a few dollars more ($87) you can get a Pila G4 and smoke that TL3. I wish SL would make a TL4!!

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks dude. Where do you get those Pilas?

p.s. If you compare M3 and TL3 side-to-side, it is pretty obvious that TL3 is superior. The only advantage M3 has is shock-isolation, but according to a liitle birdie, TL3's LA is made to handle a 3ft drop...

p.p.s. HA is nice, but does not make a light. Actually, it does nothing to perfomance, just the looks.

richpalm

Banned
I have to agree with what Al said in a previous post that M3/TL-3 comparison isn't quite fair to either.... I'll probably get this thread shut down now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

I have both, in fact I have multiple M3's. I just love them. Yes, the TL-3 throws like crazy. But the M3 has a better *overall* pattern for, say, lighting up the whole back yard or the hallway at work as opposed to the TL3 having better throw and picking out far away subjects. And the M3 has a nice smooth transitioning from hotspot to corona, no defects.

When I do the 'white wall' test, the TL-3 has the pricklies around the hotspot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif even when it is focused to the tightest setting. So it doesn't have the 'perfect' beam but you don't see this in normal use anyway. It's as near as damn-all though.

I'd like to see a "turbo" TL3 version non-adjustable with a cleaned up hotspot-I'm not a fan of adjustable lights anyway. I always adjust them to the tightest and leave them there. I'd also like a ring grip, same as the NF-2, that would fit on the TL-3. Personal preference.

Streamlight really did get it right... makes my Stinger look yellow. And those bulbs aren't 25$. This one's a keeper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It just can't be beat for the $$$.

Rich

chumley

Enlightened
After getting a L4, I vowed to not buy another incandescent light, but I still get impressed when I use my PM6 outside. If the TL-3 (xenon) is even better than PM6, then I want one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

richpalm

Banned
Ahhhhh... I'm a sucker for long throw incandescents. When LED's do as well as my 10X and Tigerlight, *then* I'll be happy!

All in all, I love the LED lights I do have. (ARC LSH, L4, KL1, KL3, SL 3C propoly)

ARC gets used more than anything.

Rich

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
Ahhhhh... I'm a sucker for long throw incandescents. When LED's do as well as my 10X and Tigerlight, *then* I'll be happy!

All in all, I love the LED lights I do have. (ARC LSH, L4, KL1, KL3, SL 3C propoly)

ARC gets used more than anything.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, I think you'll be in for a little surprise at our flashaholic gathering this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chumley said:If the TL-3 (xenon) is even better than PM6, then I want one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Better get out yer wallet . . . FAST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done run time tests? I'm curious how quickly the TL-3 fades out. I know it's spec'd to run for an hour but how long until 75% output? 50%?

Jon