Small self defense flashlight

yazovyet

Enlightened
depends on how small you want it. it isnt hard to do in a 1D mag (or anything else that takes 3xAA). but anything smaller than that and i think your asking a lot of power from a small battery. would something the size of a 2xAA maglite be too big?

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Possibly a triple XPG Oveready dropin (1100) lumens in a Surefire 6P Defender host w/ Mclicky?
Depends on your idea of small and your budget; I EDC a Z2 with another small multimode light every day comfortably.

cdrake261

Enlightened
depends on how small you want it. it isnt hard to do in a 1D mag (or anything else that takes 3xAA). but anything smaller than that and i think your asking a lot of power from a small battery. would something the size of a 2xAA maglite be too big?

1D is too large for this case

Possibly a triple XPG Oveready dropin (1100) lumens in a Surefire 6P Defender host w/ Mclicky?
Depends on your idea of small and your budget; I EDC a Z2 with another small multimode light every day comfortably.

My plan is to have a to go with my pistol I plan on picking up, in case I need to search a dark area. You know, typical cop holding light in one hand and hand holding pistol sitting on top of wrist that has light... Whatever this position is called.

How big is a p6? How much to have one of those made? Where to find them?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
My plan is to have a to go with my pistol I plan on picking up, in case I need to search a dark area. You know, typical cop holding light in one hand and hand holding pistol sitting on top of wrist that has light... Whatever this position is called.

Sounds like a Z2 with Rogers technique would do. Same as the 6P but designed for the 'gun grip'.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
nevermind, misread

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The over ready drop in with a surefire z2? Which battery to get most power out of the flashlight?

The Triple is regulated and provides full power from either pair of cells. The choice is about the value or detriment of protection circuits, which IMRs don't have.

LiCo (black cell) 18500's provide more runtime. But the protection cuts power during use when voltage is low. Circuits can also fail. IMRs (red cell) 18490's provide less runtime, but don't have protection circuits that may prevent flashlight operation at a key moment.

cdrake261

Enlightened
The Triple is regulated and provides full power from either pair of cells. The choice is about the value or detriment of protection circuits, which IMRs don't have.

LiCo (black cell) 18500's provide more runtime. But the protection cuts power during use when voltage is low. Circuits can also fail. IMRs (red cell) 18490's provide less runtime, but don't have protection circuits that may prevent flashlight operation at a key moment.

So a surefire z2, the aftermarket clicker, overready triple xpg single mode 1100 lumens, and pair of aw IMR's...sure is an expensive investment.

Are there any more affordable options?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2P with single mode XM-L drop-in 3.1 amps potted from Nailbender.

Cheap bright and reliable.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens X10 though its only 640lm the throw is unmatched by something that fits in the hand
Not a clicky - its momentary tailcap with hi/low cycle and memory

And at 20 ft the triple xp-g is all flood though its brighter in the 1m beamshots

psychbeat has a good idea if you have a 6P style host

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
Does it need to be 1000 lumens?

I like my Wolf-Eyes Krait when playing airsoft in the dark. When set to throw theres nearly no spill so its hard to see where the beam is comming from.

cdrake261

Enlightened
Do not have any suitable surefire host... I do like the z2s and the triple xpg for a total of 1100 lumens... Brighter the better, but within small package. Floody light is ok...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Do not have any suitable surefire host... I do like the z2s and the triple xpg for a total of 1100 lumens... Brighter the better, but within small package. Floody light is ok...

Generally speaking: small, bright, cheap. pick any two.

In this case, a low amp XML setup will push 600 lumens for not much cash.

BTW, Z2's are discontinued and supply is drying up. Prices will be higher next year.

cdrake261

Enlightened
Generally speaking: small, bright, cheap. pick any two.

In this case, a low amp XML setup will push 600 lumens for not much cash.

BTW, Z2's are discontinued and supply is drying up. Prices will be higher next year.

Three z2 models are listed on surefires website, two says they are discontinued.... You saying the third one(z2-s) is going to be discontinued as well?

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Is there a particular reason you explicitly need over 1000 lumens? It really does cut down on a lot of options and adds a lot of cost.
If you're using 1000 lumens to search small rooms at night (if the need arises) it might actually be too bright and blind you a little too.
Another thing to think about is: do you want a clicky switch or a tactical momentary only switch (ala the Surefire Z2). It's discussed that click switches are a liability in tactical/firearm encounters as it will give away your position (if you leave it on too long) and is difficult to operate with finesse under heavy stress.

I am in no way a LEO or military, so I've only gathered this information from logic reasoning and reading about it on here. Hope it makes sense and helps to make your decision!

cdrake261

Enlightened
Is there a particular reason you explicitly need over 1000 lumens? It really does cut down on a lot of options and adds a lot of cost.
If you're using 1000 lumens to search small rooms at night (if the need arises) it might actually be too bright and blind you a little too.
Another thing to think about is: do you want a clicky switch or a tactical momentary only switch (ala the Surefire Z2). It's discussed that click switches are a liability in tactical/firearm encounters as it will give away your position (if you leave it on too long) and is difficult to operate with finesse under heavy stress.

I am in no way a LEO or military, so I've only gathered this information from logic reasoning and reading about it on here. Hope it makes sense and helps to make your decision!

Ok... So if we change it to 600+ lumens, does that open up more options? I would really to be at least as bright as my tk30(rated at 630 lumens according to website) or my single cell XML mini mag. Momentary tailcap switch is a must, but I do not see why a toggle switch with an ability to halfway pressed in for momentary could not be used.

cdrake261

Enlightened

Ok... So if we change it to 600+ lumens, does that open up more options? I would really to be at least as bright as my tk30(rated at 630 lumens according to website) or my single cell XML mini mag. Momentary tailcap switch is a must, but I do not see why a toggle switch with an ability to halfway pressed in for momentary could not be used.