JetBeam RRT-3 XM-L Performance Data Needed

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Hey folks,

I have been searching for some actual performance data on the new RRT-3 XML, but can't seem to locate much. Maybe the light is just too new for any comprehensive testing to have been done yet. In particular actual run time in turbo mode, thermal management, current readings for each mode, etc... Beam shots look great and I already have the RRT-3 SST-50 so I am fairly familiar with their high level of quality.

I was considering the NiteCore TM11, but they seem to be having some reliability issues in addition to only 5-7min run time in turbo. Not what I was hoping for out of $260 light.:shakehead Or maybe I'm just not being realistic. At any rate, if someone has this information and would kindly share it here or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Come on folks no body has anything to add? I find that hard to believe with all of the torch connoisseurs out there. :)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a decent subjective review of the new TM11 and RRT-3 XM-L from Marshall at goinggear.com:
1) TM11 vs RRT-3 XM-L: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24VSvRrN2hw
) RRT-3 XM-L vs RRT-3 SST-50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVxyB51ffQ&feature=related

F
or a more objective analysis, you must PM Selfbuilt.
In particular, email jetbeam to see if they are willing to submit an RRT-3 XM-L to Selfbuilt for objective testing.

I think it's just horses for courses.
You want something 135mm short and light @300 grams, and floody, not too throwy @ 283 meters of throw, then get the TM11.
If you want more throw @ 346 meters, more corona, and a narrower spill, and you don't mind something bigger @ 198mm and heavier at some 550 grams, get the RRT-3 Triple XM-L.
If you want something really big and heavy, for more throw, and great run time, then get the Fenix TK70.

If you have both the RRT-3 SST-50 and the Triple XM-L version, the latter may replace the former altogether.
This is probably because although the triple XM-L has diminished throw, it is only slightly diminished, yet it has vastly more flood.
I am beginning to grow into these triple XM-L's myself; the traditional throwers like my SST-50 has a small intense hot spot, with a dark spill of light...

I think the RRT-3 3x18650's 46mm diameter handle is too big already.
I think the TM11 4x18650 50mm diameter handle is way too big.
Unless you have big hands with long fingers.
The TM11 also has compromised throw.
And because the TM11 is smaller and lighter, it lacks the mass to absorb the heat build up, such that thermal protection kicks in quickly, reducing your actual run time on Turbo mode.

Sunwayman is coming out with a V60C Triple XM-L soon.
It is attractive, compact and light weight, with a nice short travel magnetic ring.
However, because it's bezel diameter is presently only 58mm, it may have a compromised throw too.
And because it has a light mass, thermal protection can kick in quickly too?

None of them are perfect...

Last edited:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have made contact with Andy at goinggear, but only got a very generic description of the RRT-3 XM-L performance. I have also seen some of Marshall's youtube clips which were very helpful qualitatively, but lacked in providing the quantitative information I am seeking.

As mentioned before I really like the TM11 look & form factor, but considering the price and performance it's a nonstarter. Judging from the amount of heat my RRT-3 SST-50 generates I'm guessing the triple XM-L will be quite a bit hotter causing issues with thermal management in turn decreasing run times. However, the floody property of its beam is appealing and makes the light more practical IMO. I agree that having both RRT-3s would basically render the SST-50 close to useless and then I'd have two identical $300 lights with one a virtual shelf queen. I like your idea about getting a RRT-3 XM-L into Selfbuilt's capable hands for a comprehensive review.

Fortunately for me I have big hands and long fingers so lights with that fatter or heavier form factor work fine for me. I also had my eye on the TK70 which reminds me a lot of my XTAR D30 Howitzer. But even for me the D30 is way too front heavy making it an ergonomic hurtle every time I use it. In spite of that the D30 defiantly delivers the lumens and with its large head gives a nice wall of light. If the TK70 can deliver a similar beam, but with more throw then I'm sold. The fact that it runs on Ni-MH batteries moving me away from the more expensive Li-ion is a real plus and Battery Junction is offering a nice package deal which is making it even more enticing.

I would also like to get a look at the Sunwayman V60C triple XM-L. Being that I already have a Sunwayman M40C and really the quality and function a 3x XM-L version sounds great, but unless the mass is increased I fear it to may end up hitting the thermal management wall as the rest. Compact lights are now at a point where they are going to need some sort of active cooling in order actually perform as advertised. Until then we are at the mercy of the individuals doing the reviews and hope they provide the answers we seek.

Thank you again for your input.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Jb BC25 just got a pure copper heatsink for a lusty 650 lumens and 189 meters of throw!
http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/bc25.aspx

This BC25 is actually the poor man's version of the RRT-21 with only 460 lumens and 155 meters of throw.

Hopefully all manufacturers of large flashlights like the RRT-3 and the V60C Triple XM-L can get their hands on these pure copper heat sinks quickly.
Afterall, the V60C is such an attractive, compact, and lightweight flashlight, with an excellent short travel ring for one handed operation.
The RRT-3's magnetic ring is great for two-handed operation, but has too much travel for one handed operation, and needs a micro-current standby like the V60C...

mbig

Newly Enlightened
I think it's just horses for courses.
You want something 135mm short and light @300 grams, and floody, not too throwy @ 283 meters of throw, then get the TM11.
If you want more throw @ 346 meters, more corona, and a narrower spill, and you don't mind something bigger @ 198mm and heavier at some 550 grams, get the RRT-3 Triple XM-L.
If you want something really big and heavy, for more throw, and great run time, then get the Fenix TK70.
I watched reviews of Both lights and it seems to me the RRT3 has more Spill and Flood than the TM11. (and of course throw).
Considering length of housing it seems counter-intuitive, but unmistakable.
I'm thinking strongly of getting one anyway...

Or the 'Dry' 3-XML at Less than 1/3 the Price.

Another Jetbeam issue, Price.
They pay the same for the 3-XMLs as 'Dry' does. So $235 More is alot to pay for 2 inches of aluminum.

Do these overseas manufacturers imagine all or even most Americans carry these larger lights Overhand/Shoulder height?
What's with the Tail switches on everything?

And, unlike 'Dry' there No Choice of Neutral or Warm White... and amazingly, unlike Zebra/Spark (which don't even need it) No even optional Diffuser Filter.

at $325, that's an astonishing Lack of Choice and convenience.

Last edited: