M6, where do I go from here?

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I am new here so let me give a few of my personal traits away so hopefully some of you guys and gals can help me. I live in the outskirts of town in a nice area. However I often venture outside sububian whenever possible into the deep woods not too far from here.In the weekends and such. I'm gone VERY DEEP into the woods. Miles away from the nearest dirt road. The type of place your lucky if you survive the simple rattler bite and make it back to your truck. Anyway I have a M6 and it works like a super bowl champ. I do want a step up and hate the X990 size and look. What should I be lookin at for some real power?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the KumKang? Also HID, rechargable Li Ion battery, 2.5 hr runtime off one charge. It's on my "things to waste money on" list, just trying to justify spending $900 on a light...

KumKang HID : http://tinyurl.com/q3w5

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you should have this thread moved to the HID forum! Either way, go there and read about HID lights. It's a lot of fun. I have to agree with you about the aesthetics of the X990. I like the look of the KK much better. But $900 is WAY out there! My wife would move out of the house....er....no. She'd throw me out and lock the door, but keep the KK inside and return it. Nope. Just not happening. It's a SF M6 or TigerLight for me. Sigh.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, without spending $3000, the KumKang seems to be "the one". I have yet to get my grubby paws on one, but when I do, I hope to let everyone know about it.

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
This is my worst nightmare!!. I see that M6 and say, "No, save it. Don't buy the ultimate now! Don't peak out too soon." Now I hear, (as I should know by now), it's just another step on an endless ladder. Am I going to have to start buying $3000 flashlights to feed this habit? Crack cocaine might be cheaper.

paulr

Flashaholic
I assume you're talking about a Surefire M6 and not a Pelican M6. There was also just a nice thread about the Kenrad HID lights. But those lights are all pretty heavy, just like the X990. Aside from something like that, though, it's hard to think of anything with significantly more output than the M6. You could try the SF 10X, which on high power is a little bit brighter than the M6; its main advantages are it has a low beam and it's rechargeable. But it doesn't really out-power the M6, it's just about equal.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The thread about the KenRad UDL-35
is here

The problem is runtime here, you get max. about 70min and in the deep scary woods you would probably not find a plug to charge it. The KumKang has 150min though if you do not mind the danger of Li-Ions and the lack of water resistance .... not too cool either IMHO. In addition to that, those HIDs are all about 2kg and bulky to carry, not ideal for the woods either.

What about those "tank-lamps" dive-light HIDs where you carry a battery pack of your choise as a backpack-accesory and only the head of the light in you hand? Gives you the choice of variable power sources and easier carry options AND it is watertight.
Look here:
www.latalco.be - GreenForce DiveLights
www.treble-light.com
I cannot tell you anything about those though, except that they should be quite expensive, of course ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernhard