Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do LEOs in your area use?

Default What do LEOs in your area use?

What do Police Officers in your area use as a duty light. I'm sure many LEOs carry their own lights, and there is probably multiple ones in your area. But what do you see most often?

In my area, I've seen just about all of them using a MagCharger. I guess, a rechargeable works best for them.

"You're 4D Maglite is brighter?" *pulls out M30 Triton* "Let's take a walk outside, shall we?"

Enlightened

Default Re: What do LEOs in your area use?

Its maglite's an magchargers here.

Flashaholic*

Maglights in Saint Louis County, Missouri when I lived there. They are Department issued & the Officer must take their training coarse to be allowed to carry one.

In my town they were all using Streamlight Stingers on their belts and rechargeable incan streamlights in the vehicles. 85% of them have now upgraded to at least one, and in most cases a combination of, Fenix TK11's & 12's, 4Sevens G5, G7, S12, S18 and EagleTac T20s as well as more than a few LF upgrades on their SF weapons lights...
    Did I have anything to do with this....HELL YEAH!!
    SOme of the neighboring towns have also started taking notice when they roll up on a mutual aid scene and see these lights deloyed.

In my area of central NC, we use mostly Streamlights and Surefires. A few older Maglites by a small percentage of Officers.

My agnecy issues Streamlight SL20XPs, and a Surefire G2Z on the belt, which doubles for a carbine light. Due to the poor track record of battery replacements in the SLs, are looking to combine lights into one. I've got 4 lights in my bag, plus a pocket EDC and a Maxabeam.
    And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
    Isaiah 6:1-8

Flashaholic*

I've never actually seen what the cops use out here but I've read that maglites are standard issue except in wales where they get given LED lenser 3AAA flood to throw lights.
    I think the police need to higher some flashaholics to decide what equipment to use
    Last edited by JacobJones; 10-15-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Flashaholic

The last time I looked, law Enforcement in my area (Los Angeles County Sheriff) used Streamlight SL20s and Streamilight Stingers (both LED and incandescent).

Flashaholic

Streamlight Stingers, And rechargeable incan Streamlights in car. Barrie Ontario Canada.

A few Officers after seeing my lights, carry a Thrunite Scorpion V1, Armytek v1.

Flashaholic*

Stingers, Peli. 7060's....AFew of us still carry a full size duty light (SL20x)...
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Flashaholic*

Because of my job I have had some contact with police officers in my city, and asked them what flashlight they use.
    The Surefire 6Ps are gone and they now use Ledlenser 3AAA lights, provided by the police authority. I tried to sell some better lights, like Fenix TK10, but they didn't want to spend money for better lights. I spoked with several police officers, and none of them were interested in getting a better light than the 3AAA Ledlenser, ~$50 was too much...

Flashaholic*

Lot of Mags, Streamlights and Pelicans, the odd SF G2, and one department seems to have gone to 5.11 Light For Lifes.

Flashaholic*

I see a lot of stingers and 6Ps sometime both on one belt. Only noticed one strion so far. I assume they have larger lights in their cars but dont see those as often.

I actually saw a mini mag a couple weeks ago and told the guy that once I get to know him better I'm gonna make fun of him. I only hope he had some kind of upgrade in it

I see mostly Streamlight and MagLite being carried by local LEOs... I'm trying to convert them to Surefire w/ LED P60-style drop-ins though!

Naughty Re: What do LEOs in your area use?

In Richmond VA mostly Stingers. Bro-in-law had me get a AA backup, Dreelight. When it croaked, the engine died but switch was ok I put in a Malkoff M31! Nice little setup with the cells wrapped so they don't rattle.

LED Lensers ... Issued by the department.

I have sold a few Fenix LD20s to some local LEOs at my pistol club though.

Here they issued pelican 7060 or magchargers.
    A lot of them carry their own personal lights too (like a surefire 6P or Z2)
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

Quote Originally Posted by wollie88 View Post
    Its maglite's an magchargers here.
    Here in Eindhoven they use the same maglites & magchargers.
    I know some cops bought smaller lights to carry on their belts, which they pay for themselves.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Flashaholic*

I currently carry a SF M3 with Lumensfactory hola and 17500's on my belt, a SF Lx2 in my back pocket and an Insight XTI Procyon weaponlight. I also have a streamlight Ultrastinger in my patrol bag along with a SF C2 with an M60w in it.

Other guys in my department carry streamlight stingers both LED and Incan. The sheriffs office carries some LED strions, ultra stingers and regular stingers. Troopers and other state cops are issued a SF 6p or 6z and carry those or pelican (yuck) lights. Streamlight definitely dominates in my area.
    1*

Quote Originally Posted by Richub View Post
    Here in Eindhoven they use the same maglites & magchargers.
    I know some cops bought smaller lights to carry on their belts, which they pay for themselves.
    In the Utrecht area they use the P3D and possibly it's replacement the PD30. I read an article about 2 years ago about the selection process and saw the light being carried by several cops in this area.
    Last edited by Ishango; 10-24-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Error on my behalf :-)
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

One LEO here had a Tigerlight OC. I don't know what the others use. I know they look me over real good when I'm walking dogs with a triple XM-L Mag mod. Haven't gotten checked yet though to start a flashlight conversation.

Rich

Last I knew (nigh on 2 yrs ago) Maglites were issue, Mag AA for uniformed personal carry, but most had a personal purchase Scorpion LED version, or in the case of the affluent and/or enthusiastic, a Surefire (quite expensive for working guys N of the big border). G 2s and 3s were particularly favoured. I had (and still have) an E2DL, was about the only one I think- that was considered going way too far in the expense department.
    It is better to light up one LED than to curse the darkness.

In our country it used to be Maglite, but the last few years LEO's started to buy a variety of small Tactical Lights for them self, the Maglite where far to big and heavy.
    Now slowly it is getting more organized.
    Fenix and Jetbeam and Sunwayman are the most common.
    Amsterdam Police Academy is starting with the special for our needs redesigned T20C Sunwayman.
    We had it special build for our (LEO's) purpose and worked on it for about 3 Years.
    Last edited by Grizzlyb; 10-25-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Great spirits have always encountered vigorous opposition from mediocre minds.(Ursus arctos horribilis)

In my department 98% carry Streamlight Stingers.
    The other 2% are a mix.
    Weapon mounted probably 98% Streamlight TLR's, 1.5% Surefire and 0.5% Blackhawk Xiphos
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

ITP Polarstar A6. I saw it and then he wrote me a ticket.

Let's see.....Tigerlight OC with terralux drop-in; Jetbeam BC40; Solarforce L95; Surefire/Laser Products 9N; and a just retired Surefire 6P used as a carbine light, replaced with a Solarforce L2 18650 host and vingnguyen 1000 lumen drop-in. In my pocket I have a Fenix P3D with aspheric lens. In the backseat I have a gen 1 Maxabeam.

I have a couple of Streamlight SL20XPs, but due to their crappy battery life those no longer get carried. I am modding them out with homemade NiMH battery packs. Cheaper than the crap NiCads they sell......
    And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
    Isaiah 6:1-8

You don't always see Police 'on the beat' here in London, England with any light at all, even if it's night duty! They aren't issued with any (according to the few ones I've chatted to) so mostly they have Minimags or Energiser or some other type of 2AA light.

There was one outside the Chinese Embassy (Armed Officer therefore) who had a holstered Surefire Z2 incandescant. But he had to pay for that himself - he was very pleased with it.

When I started 20 years ago it was a metal kel-light or a metal maglight, now it's a Pelican 7060

In NYC where I work the NYPD uses 2c Mag's.. Believe it or not....

In my city of Miami, I guess I have seen mostly what look like Inovas like the ones in Target, but thats in airports. In the patrols, maybe not maglites but according to my sister, when something not so good happened, LE came to check my room and my sister said they had skinny, and weak flashlights. Gee, would love to see one have a Maxabeam like philly here, don't have any HIDs yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast