LED EDC comparison - Surefire E2D(L) LED vs. Klarus XT10

Which would you pick? ED2 LED or XT10?

• Total voters

gringolatino7

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I am a new user, and apparently I have to make 3 posts before I can "edit" my profile so I thought I would talk about my EDCs.
I will be comparing the Surefire E2D(L) LED Defender and the Klarus XT10.

Here are the links:
Surefire E2D LED - http://www.surefire.com/E2DL
Klarus XT10 - http://www.klaruslight.com/products/Flash_light/76.html

Surefire E2D(L) LED Defender:
Pros:
- great size..not too wide like the Klarus XT10
- love the striking bezel
- 200 max lumen out-put is more than sufficient for EDC
- GREAT clip!
- rugged body

Cons:
- no strobe mode
- a 3-level output would be nice (it has a low setting 5lm/76 hr or max 200lm for 1.9 hours)
NOTE: my Klarus XT10 has 3 settings (LOW: 10lm/300hrs, MID: 150lm/7.3hrs, HIGH: 470/2.3 hrs) so as you can see the XT10 low setting runs for 223 more hours! and 0.4 more hours with an additional 270 lumens
- price ($189 retail) the XT10 is ($89 retail!)

Klarus XT10:
Pros:
- the power of 470lm in you hand is powerful!
- LOVE the strobe
- LOVE the secondary button
- LOVE the 3 settings
- Battery life lasts for days compared to the E2D

Cons:
- Hate the width of the light vs the E2D
- No clip like the E2D

Conclusion:
Despite having more power, a strobe, being cheaper, having much longer battery life, having 3 modes..I have to go with the E2D because it's slim and of the pocket clip!

MrSypher

Newly Enlightened
It's funny that you mentioned this because my edc light was always the E2DL even on my weapon lights I run SF Scouts. But I bought the Klarus XT10 over a month ago and since then the E2DL hasn't seen much use. IMO the X10 is just more versatile than the E2D and you definitely get more for your buck (alot more).

gringolatino7

Newly Enlightened
@MrSypher:

I'm new to CPF so thanks for the reply and making me feel welcomed.
If the features of the XT10 were available in the E2DL size then I would carry it more often.
I don't have a black gun so weapons mount is not a selling point for me at this juncture.

Besides the XT10, do you or does anyone know of a EDC with the features of the XT10 in a thinner body?

MrSypher

Newly Enlightened
Thinner I had a Fenix PD30 that might work for you.. But you can always checkout Jetbeam, they lean towards the tactical side but they might have what you're looking for.. You can always build something yourself so then it totally fits all your needs..

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
🔦 Re: LED EDC comparison - Surefire E2D(L) LED vs. Klarus XT10

Despite having more power, a strobe, being cheaper, having much longer battery life, having 3 modes..I have to go with the E2D because it's slim and of the pocket clip!
Well, while being slim and having a pocket clip are certainly good reasons for carry, I'd take the Klarus XT-10 because I've been in dire need of a light and didn't have one because of bad runtime. It was on top of the Palm Springs tram in 1972. A few friends and I were camping and the guy who was supposed to bring the flashlight showed up at dusk with a plastic, storebought thing with two silver batteries. We got about 35 minutes out of it on a dark trail and I swore that night that I would never entrust my light to anyone else for the rest of my life. So my lights now are really great in quality, are bright, have modes and superb runtimes. And this is true especially if there's a storm or emergency. I would also go with many other models than any Surefire, which for the most part offers less for more all the way up its line. I acknowledge Surefire's quality (the first decent light I ever owned was a Surefire), but I don't see that its quality is any better than my Klarus, Nitecore, Fenix or Olight lights, all of which offer far more in quality and features at similar prices than Surefire. As for size and weight, I like the Klarus XT2C.

I will never buy Surefire again until it lowers its prices and gives better output at longer runtimes with more modes.

Last edited:

Destiny

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a EDC with the features of the XT10 in a thinner body?
Yep, the aforementioned Klarus XT2C. Having a thinner body it offers great flood, which I need more than throw these days. Mine lights up my entire back yard and most of my neighbor's. Very reasonably priced, too.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time gringolantino asked the question the XT2C wasn't available, actually it hadn't been announced yet. It was only at the end of 2011 that Klarus released the other lights in the XT series.