Keychain light smaller then Mine Quark 123

passive101

Enlightened
I have been using a Quark Mini 123 for a couple of years. It has been a fantastic light and it's saved me well many times. I'm not allowed to have cargo pockets where I work so I have more things in only 2 pockets now. I need something that is smaller then my Mini 123. It's becoming uncomfortable.

I'm guessing CR2/AA/AAA are my options. I'd ideally like this light to be AA/AAA to be able to take standard batteries I can easily find. I'd like to stay small and light weight, but be as bright as possible to have a backup light or sometimes my only light.

What ones are built decent that would at least be a smaller diameter. I'd like the length to be as short as possible. Selectable brightness is a plus, but not absolutely necessary.

Price definitely around 60 or less.
I'd like to be able to use Lithium batteries for increased brightness/length and alkalines in emergencies.
Modern or best LED's for their sizes would be nice as well.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I was running a 123 light and found it to large for pocket use. Changed to a 10280 light (shorter than AAA) and haven't looked back.

fyrstormer

Banned
Maybe a Peak Eiger QTC would suit you. It's longer than the Mini 123 though. If you want smaller in all dimensions, you'll have to go with CR2 if you want to be able to buy batteries for it anywhere but the internet. Lithium batteries smaller than CR2 (except for coin cells) are extreme specialty products and you'll never find them in stores.

passive101

Enlightened
I was running a 123 light and found it to large for pocket use. Changed to a 10280 light (shorter than AAA) and haven't looked back.

I'd like to stay away from this since I can't pick these up easily in department stores and gas stations even by the camera area.

passive101

Enlightened
How does the AAA ITP compare to the EIGER? I am unable to find ITP's website to look at their newest lights

fyrstormer

Banned
ITP is part of Olight.

I like the Eiger better. If you get it with the QTC module, it has infinite brightness control. Without that, it's just single mode, but it actually has knurling to make it easy to hold, whereas the ITP lights have no knurling.

passive101

Enlightened
I'm looking at the Eiger QTC HA for 49.95 on their website. What is the Key size and Lug size? I opened them all up side by side and the photo looks identical.

This light looks very interesting is now the one to beat... if possible

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm looking at the Eiger QTC HA for 49.95 on their website. What is the Key size and Lug size? I opened them all up side by side and the photo looks identical.

This light looks very interesting is now the one to beat... if possible

Lug is a bit shorter than Keychain body. The Keychain body does have two advantages, though - the lanyard attachment point can be unscrewed for tailstanding, and it can also be replaced with an optional momentary switch.

The Eiger will run AAA or 10440 (and will be VERY bright on Li-Ion). I know that you said you wanted to stick with "standard"-sized batteries, but you could get a very short alternate battery tube (10180 & 10280 are available) and use those with the same Eiger flashlight-head.

passive101

Enlightened
I don't need to be able to tail stand this light. So the LUG it is. I still am not sure what the sizes of the LUGS mean. Medium/Narrow/Wide. It looks like from my research this is the beam pattern. Are there beam shot comparisons for this anywhere? I was unable to find them. I'm guessing Medium or Wide would work the best for my needs as an EDC. I don't need a super tight spot like a tactical light.

I am also interested in the 10280 as an option if they can be used with the shorter LUG version. What would the run times be for the 10280 compared to an AAA Alkaline/Lithium/10440

Where is the best place to order one of these lights with an 10280 attachment? It looks like I'm finding the 10280 for around 30 dollars. Is it cheaper anywhere else?

Are these lights waterproof for a puddle or such?

Can I order primary cells in 10280 and 10440? I'm not big on recharging as the cells don't last as long when not being used and sitting in the light.

I'm sorry for all the questions :)

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maratac aaa is tiny, the DQG is even smaller.
Got the maratac aaa cu some days ago and its fantastic. I use 10440 in most of my aaa lights and the tiny copper light seems to be better heatsinked. The copper is good material for heat transfer and it looks and feels relly goood. A bit heavy for it's size but its tiny so its no big issue. The alu version must be superlight.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
If it's a small, AAA powered keychain light you're after, I suggest having a look at the Klarus Mi X5.

If it's smaller you want and are prepared to go with AAAA, then I'd suggest the Klarus Mi X6.

Both small, bright, awesome lights.

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
If it's a small, AAA powered keychain light you're after, I suggest having a look at the Klarus Mi X5.

If it's smaller you want and are prepared to go with AAAA, then I'd suggest the Klarus Mi X6.

Both small, bright, awesome lights.

J: Second the Klarus lights (Mi X6 is AAA, Mi X5 is AAAA). I have both in SS.

H: Got mine from GoingGear.

J: The Mi X6 (AAA) is rated at 85 lm (70 minutes on Alkaline). Three brightness levels (plus strobe).

H: The Mi X5 (AAAA) is super tiny (same 4 modes), but the X6 has more battery options (I like using Energizer "e2 Ultimate Lithium 8x" primary cells).

J: The Klarus are great little lights, and very classy (Ti and Gold-plated versions available). One-handed operation possible, and "Momentary On" is do-able.

H: Also really like my Preon 2 (2xAAA). It's larger (about the size of a "Sharpie" marker), but also brighter.

Good luck,
J&H

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't need to be able to tail stand this light. So the LUG it is. I still am not sure what the sizes of the LUGS mean. Medium/Narrow/Wide. It looks like from my research this is the beam pattern. Are there beam shot comparisons for this anywhere? I was unable to find them. I'm guessing Medium or Wide would work the best for my needs as an EDC. I don't need a super tight spot like a tactical light.

Narrow/Medium/Wide, as you guessed, is beamshape (not size). One factor to keep in mind is that this is a tiny light and the beam pattern will naturally tend more towards flood. Even the Narrow is rather floody, although does have a "hotspot". I personally prefer the Narrow Eiger for EDC. Although I don't have any Peak Wide's, others on the board have mentioned that this works well for use at very close range when NO hotspot is wanted (say, when lighting up the inside of a computer case, for example).

I am also interested in the 10280 as an option if they can be used with the shorter LUG version. What would the run times be for the 10280 compared to an AAA Alkaline/Lithium/10440

Runtimes for the 10280 will be VERY short, compared with AAA. It has been a while since I checked the charts on this, and it depends on the output level used (since it has a QTC-variable output), but maybe 10-20 minutes to 50% output would be a ballpark guess.

Where is the best place to order one of these lights with an 10280 attachment? It looks like I'm finding the 10280 for around 30 dollars. Is it cheaper anywhere else?

There are two main sales channels right now in the US, and international sales go primarily through Peak itself. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Are these lights waterproof for a puddle or such?

They are water-resistant, and the electronics are fully potted. "Waterproof" has a specific meaning, and I am not sure if this is tested.

Can I order primary cells in 10280 and 10440? I'm not big on recharging as the cells don't last as long when not being used and sitting in the light.

No. To my knowledge, all 10280 and 10440 cells are rechargeable Li-Ion. By the way, Li-Ion is a very different battery chemistry than the more common NiMH (or NiCd). It inherently has rather low self-discharge, although capacity will (slowly) permanently degrade over time. It is also much less tolerant to extremes of temperature. It requires special chargers, and has significantly greater safety concerns regarding proper handling, than other rechargeable battery chemistries.

You can, of course, use any type of AAA you like, however. L92 (1.5v Lithium AAA) are particularly preferred by many, but (1.2v Low Self Discharge NiMH) eneloops work fine, and I imagine that you could even use NiCd or NiZn AAA if you wanted to for some reason. Due to risk of leakage, few on the board here would use alkalines :sick2: , except in an emergency (although they would work, of course).

I'm sorry for all the questions :)

No problem, that is what CPF is all about ... !

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened

I think the DQG is all sold out at the moment.

Go with a AAA sized light if you want something small that uses regular batteries. You should note that by using 'normal' AAA batteries, the light isn't going to be as bright as your quark CR123. Probably get around 60-90 lumens. Value for money and something that has a smaller footprint would be the itp A3, olight I3 and maratac AAA.

I've never owned any peak lights but people swear by them in build construction. I find generally they tend to be a little bit bigger that some of the other options

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Klarus are nice small lights, the Peak lights are shorter, but thicker and requires LiIon batteries, The Klares has 3 brightness settings, the Peak is adjustable with a QTC pill (If you get the right model). The 38DD is a limited run, also with a QTC pill.

DSC_9703.jpg

For AAA lights, check my website I have compared many of them.

passive101

Enlightened
I think I might go with the Olight I3 for simplicity since I've already dealt with this company in the past and they had a great product. It's also 10 dollars cheaper then the ITP A3 which is what it is replacing from what I've found. The price is very good at 22 dollars!

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think I might go with the Olight I3 for simplicity since I've already dealt with this company in the past and they had a great product. It's also 10 dollars cheaper then the ITP A3 which is what it is replacing from what I've found. The price is very good at 22 dollars!

The I3 might not be the best light for a keychain. The split ring does come out of the side, not the back:
DSC_9115.jpg

passive101

Enlightened
That will be ok. I can put one of those little claws on it. My Quark Mini came with one. I wonder if anyone makes a smaller version of it?