Why Upgrade?

kid1000002000

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased my first >$50 light. (Quark X 123^2)

In three years, LED technology will continue to radically change.

I understand the desire to have a flashlight that can put out ever more light. Bright lights are great. But specifically speaking of today's handhelds, what is the primary reason I will be spending $70 three years from now for another light of the same form-factor? I can think of one reason — runtime, but what are yours?

It just seems like I'm struggling to understand if a brighter/better light three years from today's technology will have much to offer. I see lights almost at the point computers are today; more power is no longer a necessity for many. True/False?

And a related question- how often do you see a need to upgrade? Not meaning the upgrade to a trailer–sized light.

This post is serious, but a natural question out of protection towards my wallet. I'm a hard sway, but love this technology.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like the most recent advancement is LED lights that have the same color rendition as incandescents. That is the point where I don't know how much more I'll truly need from a flashlight. My next/last purchase for a while will be a Malkoff M61W, and that will probably quench my need for flashlight related items for quite some time.

I'm with you -- I love the latest and greatest, but when you compare a stock 3 D-cell maglite to a Malkoff/Surefire combo, flashlights have come so far in the last 10 years that you wonder how much better they can get and if it makes sense to keep spending good money on what (for me anyway) is a tool, not a hobby.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The first two posts seem to have it pretty well said and I agree, that the quality of the light coming out of the newer crops of LED's is definitely a plus. However, you don't have to buy a new light when you can swap emitters, but it still remains one of the grails of LED lights, to have a tint that fits your own personal preference.

Then there is UI and absolute range when talking about multi-level lights. There are many lights that can satisfy when it comes to absolute brightness, but sorry few that will go low enough. It would seem that having all multi-level lights capable of going low enough to satisfy all of us would be so easy, but it hasn't been on the play map of light makers until recently. One of the lights to really synthesize a wide range of the features to make many of us happy is the V10R/A interface and we can only hope for wide range of outputs and simple UI's to become the norm.

baragon

Newly Enlightened
Buying another flashlight of the same form factor doesn't just have to be because a newer one is brighter or longer runtime , some of my new lights i purchased were because they have a more flood beam instead of a thrower. For example Jetbeam have brought out the new RRT3 - XML which by having 3 XM-L leds is brighter but is much better at flooding compared to the old RRT3 that uses a single SST-50 led.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always buy lights that are able to accomplish certain tasks for me in a certain way. I buy high enough quality that the lights I purchase are able to perform their designated tasks for years and years. They still work fine in their intended uses long after technology has moved on.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
It's not just about brightness. All aspects of flashlights will continue to evolve, and even if they're not utterly transformed by that evolution, they will at least be refined by it.

I bought an Arc6 in 2008. (I think it was 2008, anyway.) It is a great light, now that I've fixed the problem of its small size by using it with a McGizmo PD Pak. I also bought several McGizmos over the past few years. But at the beginning of 2011, Jetbeam released the TC-R2, which has as much brightness as my Arc6, lots more runtime, plus infinitely-adjustable brightness, an all-titanium shell, brass threads, and a forward-clicky that gives me the same momentary action as the Arc6 with the ability to lock the light on with one finger. (and a clip that's almost as good as a McGizmo clip, mainly because it's a ripoff, but...) It's so effective as an EDC light, I've pretty much stopped using all the other lights I bought. And it cost $20 less than the Arc6.

Progress is not measured solely in lumens and runtime.

ssmtbracer

Newly Enlightened
I have had several surefire lights that I sold off to buy 4 sevens lights. Some mayday surefire is
Better than 4sevens. But I like the size and output of the 4sevens over the surefire. Is that crazy. Most may say I down graded but I don't see it that way.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Some of us are collectors. We don't just buy flashlights to use as tools, but to display as different examples in a collection.
With this mentality, it makes no difference whether form-factors are similar or not. We will continue to add to our collection when something that floats our boat catches our eye.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have had several surefire lights that I sold off to buy 4 sevens lights. Some may say surefire is better than 4sevens. But I like the size and output of the 4sevens over the surefire. Is that crazy. Most may say I down graded but I don't see it that way.
Well, the one who like Surefire better are right, just as the ones who prefer 4Sevens are also right. You're preference is what makes them better for one individual over another.
It may be possible to pick a single aspect and find one superior to the other, but generally it's going to be the whole package and it's strengths/weaknesses that makes a light better for you.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Some of us are collectors. We don't just buy flashlights to use as tools, but to display as different examples in a collection.
With this mentality, it makes no difference whether form-factors are similar or not. We will continue to add to our collection when something that floats our boat catches our eye.
Very well said.

reloadin10

Newly Enlightened
I usually approach these things from a standpoint of functionality. If a tool performs its function, and a new tool would not make the job easier, I'll tend to stick with what I have.

That said, sometimes emotion seeps in and "tools" before more like toys....:devil:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I fail to see why this is in /Flashlight Collecting/ rather than in /LED flashlights/, as the OP cited his new Quark 123^2 light in post #1 - which will perhaps take quite some time to become a collectible? Moving thread ...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reasons for upgrading (that would normally mean one of my work EDC's):
-Better runtime
-More suitable interface
-Better color rendition

The rest are reasons for collecting, since these will not necessarily make me send a torch to the shelf:
-More output
-More throw
-Different interface
-Smaller lights
-Different shape/look (especially if it can match one of my knives and even better if it can match one of my outfits too)