Lx2/ Deft edc which one throws better

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEFT edc is being hot again,
It states 40k lux but im wondering whether lx2 or it is going to throw further

JacobJones

Enlightened
I found lux readings for the Surefire LX2 in one thread, 9280 lux. So yes the DEFT EDC will throw quite a lot further.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deft edc was 40k candlepower instead of lux
Would anyone do a 1m lux reading @@?

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deft edc was 40k candlepower instead of lux
Would anyone do a 1m lux reading @@?
40K cp = 40K lux @1meter. They are one and the same.

I have a Deft EDC and it is amazing how well it throws. It is so focused that it needs to be used at longer distances only because the hotspot is so small close up.

Have you read the original thread here? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?318156-The-DEFT-EDC-is-out!

Take a look at this quick video I shot showing a super easy and free way to diffuse the DEFT-edc beam. This method works on the DEFT-edc very very well to provide a full flood. Two things converge to make this work on the edc where it wouldn't on other lights so well. The small diameter head and the confined beam. Both of these features allow for only two fingers to reflect all the light. With a larger light you could not cover the whole beam and what shoots past could "blind" others . A reflectored light would also suffer from this as the spill would shoot out to the side.

I have been EDCing my DEFT-edc for many months now and find that it suits 95% of my flashlight needs incorporating this method. The only thing is the lack of low modes means it would not be suitable for low light needs and means the battery life would not be as good as using a small low power reflector light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing. Any plans for a version that will accept two cr123's also?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
You pretty much jump from 10k to 40k lux for anything less than 1 1/4" in diameter. Nothing in between. Too bad the upcoming 2x123 UNR is even longer than the three cell m3lt/ub3t, & the DEFT-EDC doesn't take 123's. Keeps you paying attention anyway.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
I have a Deft EDC and it is amazing how well it throws. It is so focused that it needs to be used at longer distances only because the hotspot is so small close up.

Grumpy, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. You said it needs to be used at longer distances because it's so focused. What distances are you guessing?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grumpy, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. You said it needs to be used at longer distances because it's so focused. What distances are you guessing?

In full throw mode I would say roughly 150'-200' is the minimum. With the diffuser in the full diffusion position I'd say the minimum comes down to about 50'.

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight discussion on my hog forum is really hopping. Give me those numbers as soon as you can--I want to tell the guys about your light, but need specs to back it up.