Wife is stealing E1DL, now I need a new light to replace it

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading around for two days, and I am to the point that I need some advice.

I don't have that many lights. I just have an E2DL, E1B body and a 6P incandescent. I just have what I use. My EDC is the E2DL with the E1B body. My wife has started to like the E1DL and now she wants it. So, of course, I am thinking about giving her the E1DL and getting something new for myself. I get an upgrade, and she gets her first light. I'd say that's fair! So, of course, I want something better. When I say better, I mean BRIGHTER!!! I just need a little help with the options.

I really like the strong spot of the E2DL. So, I want a single cell RCR123 light that is spotty, but still has some flood and has even more throw than what I have now. I am considering the Thrunite Neutron 1C. Or, maybe a Quark MiniX 123. But I really want noticeable difference, as I am already immune to the light of the E2DL! I have learned that the listed specs can't always be trusted, so I am hoping someone has experience with the E1DL to compare it to some of the newer options. I need a real upgrade here!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minix and 1c is brighter, but has a bigger and dimmer hotspot. If you want a bright hotspot, you won't like a xm-l led in a small light.

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
And both of those lights use a XM-L.

Hmmmm, but how is the throw? I would sacrifice distance for the hot spot. Do I need a powerful brighter spot to get more distance? That is why I like the hot spot, mostly for distance. If I can get good throw with a floodier light, I'd try it out.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
its going to be hard beating the throw of your E1DL for the equivilent size. i have a E2DL 200 lumen version, and have tried it out with the E1E body. and its similar to a E1B in terms of beam and brightness.

the lights you mentioned are using XM-L emitters. and although will produce more lumens, the reflector to LED ratio will cause a floody beam, and not much throw. of course its range is still efficient solely based on the raw power of the XM-L.

since you have surefires already, i would suggest sticking with surefire.

my suggestion.... Surefire L1. single cell. it runs really bright with RCR123 li-ion. if i remember correctly, it was measured over 250 OTF lumens. but dont quote me on that.
it has a great 2 stage tactical interface. has the same TIR optics of your E2DL and will produce the same beam, or similar.

ive had a RRT-0 R2, the throw is pretty good, and about equal but different to the E1DL, the RRT-0 hotspot is tighter, but its spill was brighter, and narrower.
the RRT-0 XP-G version might be a better choice. i dont have experience with it though. but it does not throw as well as the older R2 version i had. the XP-G versions hotspot is a bit broader, and its spill is a bit brighter, compared to the R2.

since you mentioned the RRT-0, im going to suggest taking a look at the Sunwayman V10R. theres also a titanium version, which is my main EDC. and they annouced a limited run version using a neutral tint XM-L. its being sold at batteryjunction.com and maybe other dealers, but im not sure.

good luck, and your wife has good tastes.

Last edited:

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
its going to be hard beating the throw of your E1DL for the equivilent size. i have a E2DL 200 lumen version, and have tried it out with the E1E body. and its similar to a E1B in terms of beam and brightness.

the lights you mentioned are using XM-L emitters. and although will produce more lumens, the reflector to LED ratio will cause a floody beam, and not much throw. of course its range is still efficient solely based on the raw power of the XM-L.

since you have surefires already, i would suggest sticking with surefire.

my suggestion.... Surefire L1. single cell. it runs really bright with RCR123 li-ion. if i remember correctly, it was measured over 250 OTF lumens. but dont quote me on that.
it has a great 2 stage tactical interface. has the same TIR optics of your E2DL and will produce the same beam, or similar.

ive had a RRT-0 R2, the throw is pretty good, and about equal but different to the E1DL, the RRT-0 hotspot is tighter, but its spill was brighter, and narrower.
the RRT-0 XP-G version might be a better choice. i dont have experience with it though. but it does not throw as well as the older R2 version i had. the XP-G versions hotspot is a bit broader, and its spill is a bit brighter, compared to the R2.

since you mentioned the RRT-0, im going to suggest taking a look at the Sunwayman V10R. theres also a titanium version, which is my main EDC. and they annouced a limited run version using a neutral tint XM-L. its being sold at batteryjunction.com and maybe other dealers, but im not sure.

good luck, and your wife has good tastes.

Excellent, thanks for the tips. The L1 looks good, I'll look into it. I have thought a lot about how I like the tight hot spot of the E2DL, and I realized that I might like a more floody light. So, I ordered a Neutron 1C. If I don't like it, maybe the Mrs. will like it and want it. If neither of us like it........we get another torch until we like something! I'll post back when the 1C arrives.

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
Neutron 1C arrived today. I have to say, this little thing is quite a torch! Compared to my E2DL running on one cell, the light is actually comparable. I gave the 1C to my wife, because I think it is even better than the E2DL. So good, I am thinking about replacing mine with a Thrunite too. I am debating about maybe getting the 2C, but not sure I want the extra length. I might end up getting myself another 1C as my new EDC, and put the E2DL in the drawer for awhile. The XM-L is definitely a flood compared to the E2DL, but I think I like it. I wish it had a little more throw, not a lot, just a little more. But what it lacks in distance, it makes up for by lighting everything up very well.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like the Neutron.

Someday I expect to see a thread on this forum "Wife is stealing my Surefire... now I need a new wife"

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
Glad you like the Neutron.

Someday I expect to see a thread on this forum "Wife is stealing my Surefire... now I need a new wife"

Guess I would have gotten more views if I said "Wife is stealing E1DL, now I need a new one"

DM51

Flashaholic
You are lucky to have a wife who has given you such a perfect excuse to buy another light! I think you should get Mrs. hcm to sign up here - there are plenty of members whose wives have also joined (not Mrs. DM51 though, as she would almost certainly have problems with Rules 4 & 8, lol).

Elemeno

Newly Enlightened
Ok folks, since I am getting another light now, I am trying to make up my mind. Since receiving the Neutron 1C, I have decided that floods are good. I thought I wouldn't like it, but I do! So, I am considering another 1C, or something like it. I would like a little more throw, but I really like the UI of the 1C. From what I have read, the Quark 123 tactical is about the same UI and similar specs. I have also read that the Quark has a little more throw, so it can seem brighter at longer range than the 1C. Does anyone agree or disagree with that? I am really pretty satisfied with the 1C, and would just get another one, but I really like forward clicky and belt clip (mostly to keep it from rolling, because I don't really clip it on anything!). Is the Quark going to be as bright as the 1C? I don't want to be disappointed and wish I'd have just gotten another 1C. And I really like the first click=turbo, second=strobe, loosen=low mode. Seems the Quark and 1C are exact in that UI.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
quark tactical are 2 mode programmable. bezel tight, and loose, are the 2 modes. any of those can be programmed from the 8 different set brightness, or blinkies.

the quark regular models are the ones similar to the neutron UI. these come with a reverse clicky. i think you can use a foward momentary clicky, but dont remember in detail how it functions with it.

some fenix models, such as the pd31, PD20, LD20, LD10 are also use similar UI

i never owned the newer quark X series, or any neutrons, can i cant comment on the beams or output.