• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired E-series xpg drop-in with 1.4 amp 3-mode driver and copper heatsink

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
(CLOSED) E-series xpg drop-in with 1.4 amp 3-mode driver and copper heatsink

This sales thread is now closed, I will be starting a new sales thread once I am able to resume workshop activities.

This is the sales post for my copper version of the E-series led drop-in, with an xpg emitter and 1.4 amp 3-mode driver. The thread introducing my version of this mod is http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mode-driver-gauging-interest-and-availability. Based on the replies I have received I am starting a first wave of (up to) 20 drop-ins, with the buyer's choice of cool, neutral, or high-CRI warm tint.

Led bins available now:

Cool: R5 flux 1C tint
Neutral: R3 flux 3A-D tint
Warm/Hi-CRI: Q2 flux 90 CRI 3000K 7B tint

NEW: Neutral/Hi-CRI Nichia 219 4500K

The picture in this thread is of an aluminum version, these drop-ins will have a copper heatsink. Also, I have designed and printed thin pcbs (0.010" thick) for mounting the emitter on the post. The pcb's have a hole under the emitter heat pad to allow direct surface mounting of the emitter to the heatsink, with the pcb providing insulation and a soldering point for the electrical leads (the wires will not have to be soldered to the emitter as in the drop-in pictured).

Also, in order to accommodate flat-top cells the bottom of the driver will have a solder blob added upon request (Thanks BigC).

Another note (thanks Bugsy): these drivers require 3.7V batteries to run, so a single primary will not work. However, two primaries will work just fine, so this drop-in can be used with either a single rechargeable or two primaries in E2 lights, while a rechargeable is required for single cell E1 series lights. I am in the process of trying to find drivers with a lower Vin capability.

Fit of the drop-ins is adjustable with copper tape.

Price: $75+paypal fees including insured shipping in CONUS.

Paypal address: [email protected]

If you require international shipping please PM me so we can figure out any extra shipping costs before you order.

To order, please find the next available number in the list below and post a reply to this thread stating:

- number of drop-ins requested
- tint preference for each drop-in
- "paypal sent" notice

An order will be considered submitted once a post to this thread containing the above information has been made, and a paypal payment has been received.

You must include your CPF username in the comments of the paypal payment so I can keep track of who is who.

If you have any questions please PM me and I will get back to you.

Thanks.

Order List:

1. Seahunt........Cool Shipped
2. Seahunt........Cool Shipped
3. Seahunt........Cool Shipped
4. Indadark.......Neutral potted driver Shipped
5. nfetterly.......High CRI Warm Shipped
6. LEDadd1ct....High CRI Warm Single Mode Body Received Shipped
7. dkman..........Neutral Shipped
8. dkman..........High CRI Warm Body received Shipped
9. helios123.......High CRI Warm potted driver Shipped
10. euroken........High CRI Warm Shipped
11. mikesantor....Cool (Custom solution)
12. yankeefist......Neutral Single Mode Shipped
13. chrisdm..........High CRI Shipped
14. seahunt............Cool Shipped
15. seahunt.............Cool Shipped
16. seahunt.............Cool * Shipped
17. ryanj52............High CRI Single Mode Potted Shipped
18. sparklite...........Neutral Shipped
19. thekwyjibo........ Neutral Shipped
20. hkowboy..........Cool potted driver Shipped

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E1E xpg drop-in with 1.4 amp 3-mode driver and copper heatsink

these look really good.

Some flat top cells might need a nipple or spring to make contact with the battery possitive. Maybe a nipple of solder on the bottom of the driver..thats what I do.

best,
bigC

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty cool!

What is the input voltage?

I would love to see an e1e dropin that involved removing the stock reflector and replacing the entire head cavity with a solid copper mule style integrated reflector/heatsink!

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Yes that's important thank you for bringing it up: I'm not sure what the minimum voltage is but it does require an RCR123, a primary CR123 does not work. So, you will lose the ability to use primaries with this driver. I will look into a driver that has a lower input voltage.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Link to original thread fixed.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there a physical or mechanical limitation to running these in an E2E with 17670?

Last edited:

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

These drop-ins should run fine in any E-series with one 3.7V cell, or two 3 volt primary cells (input voltage range is 2.8-6 volts according to Shiningbeam). I have not tested these in anything but an E1E but if you find there is a problem you can always return it, I would refund your return shipping if you're the first to try it in an E2E and it doesn't work.

-Jon

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

1) If running on one 17670, what percentage of the runtime will be in regulation, i.e., how long will it run at the same output before dropping?

2) Is it possible to get this with just one mode, 1.4 amps only? That would be the one I would want.

Thank you!

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

LEDaddict,

Sure, I can make you a drop-in with a single-mode 1.4a driver, just order as per instructions and specify preferred tint and that you want the single mode.

I don't know how long it will run at 1.4 amps before dropping (actually the led will start to blink to warn of low voltage). I can run mine down from a full charge this evening (I have an AW li-ion RCR123 cell). I'm sure there is info elsewhere on CPF on runtimes for that driver on 1 RCR123.

-Jon

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jon, thanks for the quick responses. I have a few more questions for clarification:

1) To clarify, you can build a 1.4 amp model, with only one mode. The momentary on the Surefire clicky will work as intended, and will only activate the light momentarily, without changing modes?

2) The light will blink to signal low voltage, so the conscientious user of unprotected 17670 cells does not need to worry about depleting them in this light?

3) On the Surefire E1E and E2E, batteries are changed solely from the head, correct? If so, when changing cells, you must unscrew the head. Is the module secured by the bezel, or, is it possible for the module to fall out when changing cells?

Thank you!

LEDAdd1ct

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Hi LEDaddict,

Yes, I can build a single mode 1.4amp version of the drop-in, and yes, the clicky switch can by cycled or momentarily pressed without changing modes, as there are no other modes to change to.

As far as I know the single-mode drivers also blink when the cell voltage becomes low, I will have to confirm this once I obtain one of these drivers, however most work this way. All of them seem to give some indication of low battery, whether by blinking or dimming the output. I probably won't order the driver unless you place an order but if it doesn't end up working the way you want it to I will refund your order (I can check it out before shipping it to you).

The battery will still need to be changed by taking off the head, and removing the drop-in which is a snug slip fit into the top of the body. When you unscrew the head the drop-in remains securely in the body. The drop-in shouldn't fall out when the head is removed, and should be snug enough for good contact but not too hard to remove. Since there is a tolerance range for manufacture of the lights, the fit will vary slightly from light to light, so I err on the snug side. If it doesn't fit, I will make it right. If you have calipers or a micrometer and can measure the inside diameter of the body to the nearest 0.001" I can ensure you get the absolute best fit, but this shouldn't be necessary.

I recommend removing the tailcap before placing or removing the drop-in to relieve any pressure from the battery on the drop-in, to make installation/removal as easy as possible.

I hope this answers everything, if not let me know.

Thanks for the questions, I'm sure this will help others who may be wondering about these issues. I will continue to add whatever information I can. These drop-ins really extend the utility of these little lights.

-Jon

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, Jon, and thanks again for the quick responses. Selfish as it may seem, I find asking questions publicly allows others who may have the same question to find their answers quickly.

:)

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be planning on probably running on a 17670 as well. I'm torn between neutral & HiCRI. For the HiCRI is it the 3000K, 90 minimum High CRI, XP-G, Q2 bin LED you are looking at?

I've got two of those in Malkoff drop-ins and one going into a LS20. Let me know - if that's what it is then I'm in for HiCRI.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

nfetterly,

Should have included this from the beginning:

Cool: R5 1C tint
Neutral: R3 3A-D tint
Warm: Q2 90 CRI 3000K 7B tint

Other details are in the original thread linked at the top.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

- number of drop-ins requested = One
- tint preference for each drop-in = Warm: Q2 flux 90 CRI 3000K 7B tint
- "paypal sent" notice = :paypal:

Thank you!

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, I have designed and printed thin pcbs (0.010" thick) for mounting the emitter on the post. The pcb's have a hole under the emitter heat pad to allow direct surface mounting of the emitter to the heatsink, with the pcb providing insulation and a soldering point for the electrical leads (the wires will not have to be soldered to the emitter as in the drop-in pictured).

I'm a little confused with this PCB. It has a rectangular cutout to expose the XP-G's thermal pad, with the XP-G's LED+ and LED- pads reflowed onto this PCB? So then the XP-G's thermal pad is essentially 0.01" above the surface of the copper heat sink? That's a fairly large bond line. Have you tested this tower with extended runs to check for any thermal issues? The small XP-G thermal pad size (1.3mm x 3.3mm) and large bond line result in a very high calculated thermal resistance if you use something like Arctic Alumina epoxy. I'd probably use Arctic Silver epoxy or something comparable. When you say that the hole in the PCB allows "direct surface mounting of the emitter to the heatsink", does that mean you've reflowed the emitter directly to the copper heat sink? That would be ideal.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the confusion: by surface mount I mean that there is a solder joint between the emitter heat pad and the copper heatsink, through the hole in the pcb. In fact, that is what holds the emitter/pcb assembly to the heatsink. I considered using arctic alumina to attach the pcb, but the solder joint between the emitter and heatsink pins the pcb down nicely, and I don't think (although I don't know) that there would be any significant added benefit to epoxying the pcb down, especially if the emitter/pcb need to be removed for any reason. I hope this is more clear; I will try to get a picture of the pcb up, although when I tried before it couldn't get my camera to focus on such a small target.

-Jon

Latest posts