When is your next public holiday?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I am feeling a little board. What is your upcoming public holiday, and when is it? Are you looking forward to it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GeoffChan said:
November 4, Melbourne Cup Day.

I Always look forward to any public holiday.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh.. the memories... used to love Cup day, not because of the race but more because its a day off!! Wish I was back in good ol' Melb... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We've got lots coming up... there's the Indian festival of lights, Deepavali (or I think its known as Deepav elsewhere) in a couple of weeks (24th Oct), then the Muslim 'New Year' so to speak, at end of November, then there's Christmas as well, of course... and then its New Year!! Geez, lots of em' coming up, 1 every month actually... I'm happy now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Ahh.. the memories... used to love Cup day, not because of the race but more because its a day off!! Wish I was back in good ol' Melb... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We've got lots coming up... there's the Indian festival of lights, Deepavali (or I think its known as Deepav elsewhere) in a couple of weeks (24th Oct), then the Muslim 'New Year' so to speak, at end of November, then there's Christmas as well, of course... and then its New Year!! Geez, lots of em' coming up, 1 every month actually... I'm happy now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Festival of lights... hmm.... that reminds me, shall we make that an excuse to buy more lights for ourselves? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. thats a good excuse for buying more lights... didn't realise that!! No thanks to you Spango... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next public holiday in old UK is December 25th. Yeah, I know, ages away. We suck at public holidays in this country!

But we do have Bonfire Night (November 5th) though it isn`t a holiday, just an evening of fun kind of like Halloween is in the States. A distinctively British affair celebrating the foiled plot to blow up the houses of Parliament (home of UK government) back in the 1600s. It`s basically a July Fourth style explosion of fireworks, and an excuse for irresponsible teenage kids to be more dangerous than normal for a night. I love the fireworks and will sit up all night watching the countless private and proffessional shows light up the night, but have no time for idiots who f*** around with them, cos they`ll end up getting it all banned. Right now, home fireworks are still legal here and I hope it`ll stay like that.

Google "Gunpowder Plot" for more info on the history of this evening of madness. Incidentally, Halloween is largely a non-event here. Mainly for little kiddies and those same older kids who`ll abuse fireworks a week later, who use it as an excuse to attack people.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
November 11th. Veterans Day.

This year it's on a Tuesday. I'll bet several people take Monday off.

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
This coming Monday! (the 13th) It's Thanksgiving in Canada. Traditionally, this would be the weekend a lot of Canadians who live near the border would go shopping in the U.S. (as our stores would be closed but yours would be open). When the Canadian dollar starting dropping to a low exchange rate, it pretty well killed off most of the cross border traffic. Now that our dollar is now on the rise again (over 75 cents) it may be time to make a trip.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monday, Columbus day. But I'll give thanks to the Canadians as well. I like these Monday holidays this time of year. Can watch football, playoff baseball and pound beers without guilt of getting up on Monday. Can you tell I'm not married?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I don't like about US holidays at least in my company. We get ten paid holidays and five of them come within a 6 or 7 week period between Thanksgiving and New Years Day. I'd sacrifice a couple of them for the warmer months.