Arnold Wins!!!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, because it was just dandy before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

i'm just glad the hufflepuff chick didn't make it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Can't be.

You must be mistaken Sasha, I can't believe Democrat voters would support a Republican scheme, and given their numbers it couldn't succeed without their cooperation.

Davis said (frequently) that this was just a Republican fringe attempt at a power grab. Now since Democrat voters in California outnumber Republicans by at least 2-1 then a Republican power grab that relied upon a vote of the people couldn't possibly succeed.

Greta

Flashaholic
How did I get dragged into this?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Tomas

Banned
Well, they needed someone kicking and screaming as they were dragged across the stage ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I figured Arnold would win. After all, he's been in movies, and the other candidates have not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
The returns are still coming in but I have a few thoughts as the evening develops.

1. The Democratic big guns (Bill, all the presidential wannabes, both of our senators) didn't make a significant dent, if at all. Having a beauty parade wasn't what the people wanted: they wanted change and they got it.

2. Bustamonte is finished in any significant politics. With Davis being so unpopular and Busta Monte really blowing it with his pandering and Indian gaming contributions, he won't find a sympathetic ear in 2004 especially if the voters resoundingly rejected him too. If Ahh-nuld doesn't turn things around the voters will instead look to our AG Bill Lockyear. I think he's somewhat of a mental twit but he's very media savy and may be a formidable candidate.

3. Once the post election wrangling is over and the dust settles, I predict that the Demo controlled legislature will purposefully send bills to Ahh-nuld just so he'll have to veto them. They are going to set him up as an extremist and portray him early as idealogically out of touch with the voters.

4. Ahh-nuld doesn't know his way around Sacramento but given time he will. Although the legislature will have to tread cautiously until they figure just what the election means, Ahh-nuld will have to take his case to the people every time. I don't think he's savy enough at this point and he has to use the bully pulpit and the press to effect change. If he doesn't speak to the people he'll be a dismal failure.

5. This is also a message to the rest of the nation that the citizens will only be pushed so far. When a public employees union isn't satisfied with a near 100% pension at a given age and want it lowered or even more benefits (taxpayers be damned), or that drivers licenses for illegals is a good idea and that policy will be shaped based on contributions and that business is a never ending source of funds who won't leave, it's time for a deep change. I have the feeling that the good citizens of California would have liked to recalled the entire legislature if they could have. It'll be tough and we're going to have rough time of it.

And the bloodless revolution has begun...

PS - I'm watching Cruz give his confusing concession speech. At least I think that's what he's doing. He still doesn't get it.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My favorite interview of the night was early on before the polls had closed and it was with Jesse Jackson, he's great for a laugh.

He was going on about how 300,000 voters in LA were being disenfranchised by not being able to vote and many thousands of others couldn't vote across the state because of the low number of polling stations. He said there would be a lawsuit to fight the results because these people's votes weren't being counted. Then he was asked if there would be a lawsuit if the recall failed and Davis was left as Governor and his reply was simply, "No".

I finally understand the process:
You are only a disenfranchised voter if the person Jesse Jackson endorses is a loser. If Jesse's guy wins then you're not disenfranchised, you are a lazy voter that should have got off your butt and taken a bigger interest in the political process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Politics is a hoot.

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
My favorite interview of the night was early on before the polls had closed and it was with Jesse Jackson, he's great for a laugh...

Politics is a hoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I agree entirely. I was going for McClintock (the REAL republican in the gubernatorial race) but unfortunately he just doesn't have the popularity or name recognition that "Ahnuld" does.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LukeK said:
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
My favorite interview of the night was early on before the polls had closed and it was with Jesse Jackson, he's great for a laugh...

Politics is a hoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I agree entirely. I was going for McClintock (the REAL republican in the gubernatorial race) but unfortunately he just doesn't have the popularity or name recognition that "Ahnuld" does.

[/ QUOTE ] Me too, but a celebrity will always win in Kalifornia. They reap what they sew.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are Batman & Robin and Predator the only movies with two Governor/Actors in them?

ewick

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
...After all, he's been in movies, and the other candidates have not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ...I've seen the proof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah...and Ah-nold was elected by democrats!
even democratic latinos voted for him in surprising numbers.

amazing, huh?

so much for the theory of a republican mediated takeover.

californians must really be tired of poorly run government, absurd laws being placed upon individuals and businesses, and being taxed to death.

oh, wait--it is all Bush's fault!

Bob

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick quote from my good friend Bill Whittle

(well, he's my friend, but he doesn't know me from a stump /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

[ QUOTE ]

I just heard on the radio from a Democratic state senator who said that "the people were unable to figure out who they were really angry at," – that this was really a vote against George W Bush, only the people weren't smart enough to figure out how to go about it and blamed it on poor old Gray Davis. Yes, in their righteous fury and anger at the Republican President, the People of California elected… a Republican governor! That'll show him!

The day will come when we will lose a big election. On that day, we should say that we lost because we failed – we failed to articulate our message, we failed because we ran corrupt and uninspiring candidates, we failed because we didn't listen to the wisdom of the electorate – we failed because we thought four or five political hacks in a campaign room somewhere knew what was better for the nation or the state than the millions and millions of people who actually live and work in it. And on that day, we should pledge to do better, to try harder to get the message across, and most importantly, to listen to what the people are saying. And we should accept that loss, congratulate the winners, accept defeat with grace and dignity – like adults -- and then look under the hood with a very cold and unemotional eye, fix the mistakes, and get a better product out there. This would mean giving up the infantile pleasures of moaning and crying about the Lost Cause. But that is what you have to do in order to win. And with stakes this high, winning matters. It matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
So are Batman & Robin and Predator the only movies with two Governor/Actors in them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's the other governer in Batman & Robin?