Any AA lights that can take 3.6v AA?

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
J: I see that some lights' LEDs have a voltage range rating.

H: Has anyone ever tried using a higher voltage AA size cell in one?

J: Such as a 3.6v AA lithium primary cell? Or a pair of them?

H: Or one of the higher voltage AA size rechargeable Lithiums? Or a pair?

J: In other words, can one run at 3.6v instead of 1.5? Or 7.2v instead of 3v? etc etc.

H: Many TIA.

J&H

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes there are several lights that can run on Lion 14500, lithium AA primary nimh, AA Alk. LumaPower Connexion, EagleTac Angel A for example.
I dont know of any double 14500 flashlights.

Imon

Enlightened
Many Zebralights that take 1.5V AAs can also take 14500s.

The problem J&H is that manufacturers flashlight have drivers tuned to the specific voltage range at which they are expected to operate. It would be inefficient and/or impractical to make a flashlight with such a large voltage range.

That is my understanding.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
the xeno eo3 AA lights can. I prefer the light on 1.5 volt Batteries though. THe 3 levels are better spaced....and I have lots of powerful lights, so I really don't need my AA lights to output 400 lumens! Xeno does make an xml model especially for the 3.7 volt lithium battery. I have one and it's great. I still prefer the regular AA model for most indoor use...and it's great for camping. They run all night on low.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a few E03's and they can take 14500 lions (4.2V fully charged). It's nice for when you want a lot of light in a small package, but like Lighthouse_one said, I don't use them too often. I find eneloops (1.2V) to be just great in this package.

I've got a Sunwayman V10R on the way, and with the adapter it can take the 4.2V 14500 lion. I'm looking forward to that, to have both very and and very low available from the same light on the same battery ;).

ico

Enlightened
Zebralight`s old SC50 models can take 14500/ AA lithium ion batteries. The Xeno EO3 can also takes AA Li ion and it really is a WOW light to show off.

Zebralight is now coming up with lights that can reach 300 lumens by using only a single AA meaning you can get the amount of light the same as a 14500 using NiMH/Alkaline/Lithium batteries.

Jackasper

Enlightened
There are hundreds of lights that can run on 14500's. Some manufacturers state that they can run on Li-Ion and some simply don't. I just assume that they are not compatible with the higher voltage batteries if they dont. I always check and re-check the input voltage just to make sure. It is quite rare, like tsask mentioned, to see a two cell AA configuration designed to run @ 8.4v unless you are using adapters or sleeves. I have bought quite a few single cell lights though and have been pretty happy with the upgrade in output when using the rechargeables. I just wish they could find a way to squeeze a bit more capacity out of them.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you can run a 14500 in an AA light, you more than double its output, but be wary, as the temp will rise quicker, if you do not allow it to cool in between blasts, you will end up with premature flashlight failure.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Nuetron 1a can take an AA or a 14500 (4.2volts max) so can the Crelant 7G1
Solarforce L2r takes 2aa and with the right dropin can take a wide range of voltages

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quark mini aa will thrill you. Put in a 14500 and the light goes direct drive on hi (Mr Hyde mode). Should be close to 300 lumens, impressive little bugger. But Hyde mode will be mean to the little light and torture the led with heat if you unleesh him for too long.:devil: Its the smallest and one of the brightest "aa" light out there. You loose warranty doing this, but what the heck, it's more fun.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I picked up an iTP C7 that will use either AA or 14500. I also have a Xeno E03 that takes both. Using 14500 battery, the Xeno is brighter but doesn't have near the throw or run time that the iTP does. Using an AA NiMh battery, the iTP seems brighter than the Xeno. The iTP C7 doesn't seem to have as large a drop off between 14500 and AA NiMh. The iTP has unlimited adjustable between High and Low mode and it also has strobe and SOS if you want. The Xeno is smaller and a lot lighter as the iTP is built like a tank. The Xeno gets very hot on high with 14500 in about 5 minutes but the iTP never really gets very hot, even with a 14500 battery. The Xeno has lots of light with lots of spill/flood. The iTP doesn't have much spill but is a great throw light for such a small light. Lights things up out at 75-100 yards.
The iTP has been discontinued since the Olight merger but shiningbeam still has some for about $26. Both have been great little lights. I just find that the iTP works better in more ways than the Xeno. The Xeno is fun when I really want to blow someones mind with it's brightness but I find I use the iTP more.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Sorry, duplicate post. Just in case any of you are wondering, I didn't do this to get my post count up. LOL

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
J: Thanks for the info and suggestions everyone.

H: I will probably stick to the "Manuf Recommended" batteries for now.

J: I might get brave in the future and see how far I can push one of these lights.

H: I do like the idea of Li rechargeables.

J&H