No love for the RRT-3 XML?

LichtAn!

Enlightened
Hi there, I'm just wondering why there's no active thread or any review about the RRT-3 tripple XML. Is it because it just has upgraded emitters and other lights like the Tiny Monster are completely new and fancy?
I got a good offer from my local dealer and I'm trying to find a good comprehensive review with measurements of all the important things to know. But neither HKJ nor selfbuilt or any other on the forums didn't make any review. :(
Just wondering what the reason is. :sssh:

P.S.: A question to the RRT-3 XML owners. How's the regulation of the light? Is there any noticeable dimming on turbo when using for a longer period?

Last edited:

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I am on the edge of purchasing this light and would like some input as well.

Enlightened
Too expensive. They should do something like sponsoring a RRT-3 torture test and beef up the marketing....like the Airsoft portal youtube on the RRT-2. Else no real +ve to get it.

Last edited:

BBQ Mike

Newly Enlightened
I brought one in this month. The standard RRT3 single LED not the XML. It is an absolute tank. Fully loaded with 3 18650's it probably weighs close to 3 pounds. Heck the grip has a nearly 6 inch diameter. It is pricey for sure, but I see no reason why I will not get years of service out it. The biggest downside that I have found it this not a unit designed for close in work the hot spot is too hot IMO. This limits its functionality in smaller spaces I suppose but who cares. I bought this baby for lighting up the night.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-3 XML is floodier with a "edge"chy beam profile
While it(RRT3) was intented to act as a thrower

TRK

Newly Enlightened
Can someone who owns the RRT 3 XML version comment on the beam pattern and whether there are any rings in the pattern from the smooth reflectors. I thought I may have seen some rings in the pattern in the GG video on this light but wasn't really sure. Any comments on this would be appreciated - thanks!

aau007

Enlightened
...Heck the grip has a nearly 6 inch diameter...

I have never seen one of these with my own eyes. Are you sure about the 6in "diameter"? That would make it wider than my coffee mug. :eek: Do you mind putting a ruler across the body and post a picture?

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Yes it is 6in in diameter. I have the SST-50 version.
2011-10-18_18-10-09_289.jpg

2011-10-18_18-09-44_896.jpg

2011-10-18_18-15-22_330.jpg

Here's a lil mod I did.
2011-10-18_18-10-19_993.jpg

LichtAn!

Enlightened
The diameter is a little more than 2 inches (56mm). I think there's some confusion here. Men tend to exaggerate when it comes down to size...but come on. ;)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think he means circumference lol.
if you see going gear's youtube channel(goingprepared) he has a 'review' or demonstration of the nitecore monster and this.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
i think he means circumference lol.
if you see going gear's youtube channel(goingprepared) he has a 'review' or demonstration of the nitecore monster and this.
And its not even 6" circumference...1.625 Dia is about 5.1" around...

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Can someone who owns the RRT 3 XML version comment on the beam pattern and whether there are any rings in the pattern from the smooth reflectors. I thought I may have seen some rings in the pattern in the GG video on this light but wasn't really sure. Any comments on this would be appreciated - thanks!

Here is a review from goingprepared on youtube:

The beam does have rings, no suprise with the smooth reflector. I don't like smooth reflectors, I only like op.

Last edited:

BBQ Mike

Newly Enlightened
My apologies for my vocabulary error! I was referring to its circumference not diameter. I just measured it again - its 5.75 inches.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine arrived today and... yes. The smooth reflector does give it about 4 distinct rings in the beam. A light OP would have taken care of that. In real world usage, probably not a big deal though.

TRK

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today and... yes. The smooth reflector does give it about 4 distinct rings in the beam. A light OP would have taken care of that. In real world usage, probably not a big deal though.

Please let us know what you think of your new RRT 3 XML once you take it for a spin! I, like probably others, are contemplating getting either the RRT 3 XML or the Nitecore TM11. From what I am seeing in the GG video on these two lights, I think I like the beam pattern of the RRT 3 better as it has a really nice transition from spot to spill. Since the XML lights starting coming out, I'm really liking the very large hot spots this emitter puts out. I tend to use my lights for more medium distances and like a "wall of light" rather than a more narrow brighter beam pattern.