Nitecore & Jetbeam opinions

twicksisted

Newly Enlightened
My first proper LED flashlight was a LED Lenser P7 which is a fantastic bit of kit with a very long battery life, I still have it and its still going with its first set of batterys! After that I decided it was time to check out some other flashlight brands and came across offerings by Jetbeam & Nitecore. Anyways I have bought a couple of really nice ones yesterday (Jetbeam RRT-3 XML, M1X, RRT-0 XML) and was wondering what the general opinion of these are and if theres some other reccomended brands worth having a look into as well.

Rawk

Newly Enlightened
Greetings, i own three Nitecore flashlights, D10 Tribute, D11.2, D20.
I recently got the D11.2 - but overall I'm disappointed when I compare it to the D10T.

First thing is, when you turn it on, you have to wait for just a second till the light is on.
And when you turn it off, the light is gone after one second.
It is slow ! And i don't like to wait for the flashlight, i want it to respond instantly.
The interface of the D11.2 gives you a strobe mode - but it turns on after 2 seconds, that's just to slow for me.
Another thing is - my AW 14500 (button top) fits into the D11.2 - but i can't turn it off or switch through modes anymore.
But it works fine in the D10T.
The tint is kind of neutral, but compared to the D10T, i like the cool white more.
And while you dim the light up from lower modes, the D11.2 is flickering.

I guess the D11.2 is my first flashlight that will stay in the drawer.

If you like to look at some other brands, i enjoy my ThruNite 2A as backup.
The moonlight mode is great !

When it was available, i was lucky to buy a Quark AA2 Tactical Warm White.
Recently i got the AA tube from 4Sevens accessoires, now i use it with an AW 14500 cell.
It became my favorite flashlight and edc since then. It's a very bright and wide spot, the tint is just beautiful in my eyes.
This thing is just awesome - i'd like to call it my 'pocket sun'.

fyrstormer

Banned
Jetbeam and Nitecore are both good brands. Chances are, the Jetbeam RRT-0 will satisfy your EDC needs just fine.

I can't comment on the new Nitecore EX11.2/D11.2, but if you want the original EX10, Flashaholics.uk still has some.

davecroft

Enlightened
I like Nitecore. Don't really know why though! I have an EZAA R5 which took 3 returns to get one with a properly working UI. Normally I would give up on a brand before that, but for some reason I persevered with this one. I'd really like a D11 v.2 as well, but I have read a lot of negative posts on the thread on this forum. I think if you get a good Nitecore it can easily become your favourite light, it just seems more of a lottery than with some other manufacturers.

I haven't read of as many issues with Jetbeam, even though Jetbeam and Nitecore are owned by the same company.

BBQ Mike

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of JetBeam lights with the RRT-0 being my favorite. I have both battery configurations, CR123 and AA. I tend to favor the CR123 as an EDC. It is about .5 inches shorter and just fits into my pocket better. It is probably just me but I also prefer the light the CR123 produces. It seems to be brighter. From an economic perspective, the AA is much cheaper to run. Using an Eneloop rechargable I can get over 3 hours of run time at full intensity. Compared to RCR 123 where I get about 40 minutes. Single use 123's give me about 2 hours, where I get similar run times on alkaline AA as I do with the Eneloops.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had some great Nitecore products: EZAAw, SR3, NEX and some s***** ones (EX10, EX11.2, etc...). They are generally good products but lack some quality control.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought id chime in here, im the other way round, i have 4 nitecores - Extreme, Infilux 1, D10 SP, EX11.2. and no jetbeams although i am always looking at them its taking me time to take the plunge due to 'funds'
for what its worth i have had no problems with any of mine, they all work perfectly.
interesting what Rawk said as when i recieved my ex11.2 i was unsure weather it was a dud because i was expecting things to happen instantly and they dont - but you get used to that.

Let me know what you think of the M1x, im seriously considering this although it is now 'underpowered' to some its Ui is nice and is still a thrower which i do not have yet.

yowzer

Enlightened
I think they both used to be good brands that are going downhill. Old Nitecores are great; my D10 R2 is still one of my favorite EDC lights, but with the exception of the IFE2, all their newer lights just seem to get nothing but reports of problems here. Jetbeam's lineup seems to be shifting towards more of a budget line, without the looks or nifty features they used to have (Like the programmable IBS UI giving way to predefined output modes.) The RRT series, still their higher end line, is getting less distinctive looking and loosing features (Less heatsinking, for example) with every new model or update to an existing one. Control rings are a nice UI, though.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a nearly ancient by CPF standards Fenix P2D. I like it so much I got another with a 2AA and 1AA bodies. My 1AA body is gone but I have another complete P2D should something happen to this one.

It has a nice tint and is bright enough that I still get WOW a lot. I absolutely LOVE the UI! Click on LOW. Bump MED. Bump Hi. Bump SOS (never use). Twist head tight click TURBO. Bump strobe (hardly ever use).

I used it quite a lot as a truck driver. Still don't use up a 123 in less than 2 months.

I don't like the body of the PD20, but if it retains the great UI and you like the body I HIGHLY recommend you get one!

BTW: The Fenix I talk about doesn't have a really low low. But it also doesn't have any PWM and this is yet another thing that I dearly love about the light!

Last edited:

haley1

Enlightened
I've had 2 D10's for almost 3 years. The first worked so well the first month I had it, I ordered another. The second's operation was not up to the first's. I thought about returning it but finally got it working, for a time.
Then the first I bought started having issues. After about 6 months I spent more time screwing around with them trying to get them to work than using them. Now they sit on my shelf. I do not recommend. Others may have had better luck. But in my opinion it's a crap shoot.

davyro

Enlightened
Jetbeam & nitecore are now owned by the same company,so i think you should have a look at some other brands 4sevens, olight, fenix & thrunite lights are all easy to find
& you can have a good look at the choices available.Personaly i like both jetbeam & nitecore & my next light is either a jetbeam rrt 0,or a nitecore IFE1

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I forgot something.
I have a Jetbeam MKII-X. In any other mode but full blast it drives me absolutely crazy with PWM.

I STILL recommend a Fenix L or P series light. No whiz bang super duper light but a good solid performer!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think they make better than decent lights. I also think they are over priced for what you get.
ive owned 1 nitecore. which was the older ramping D10 R2. it was decent, fit and finish was OK. i ended up selling it.
jetbeams ive had, RRT-0 R2, Jet M III, M1X. the M1X had a driver problem, construction on the RRT-0 i felt was not worth the $100 i paid, same with the M1X.
not to mention when the RRT-0 first came out it had some very obvious problems, wobbly tailstand, and flickering. why we're these released to consumers with these obvious flaws? are we their test subjects?
some of their higher end lights such as the RRT-3 is quite expensive, and with no lifetime warranty is definitely not worth it to me.
i feel Jetbeam designs have gone downhill.
nitecore/jetbeam seems to design a product on paper, produce it without any real research, development and testing, and pass it along to consumers.
nitecore IFE2, a light i was very interested in. it has the semi tail shroud simliar to fenix models. done for tailstanding, as well as easier access to the switch. but the IFE2 does NOT tailstand. why have the shroud then? for self defense?
it also doesnt work with flat top 18650 cells. why?? these are 2 very easy fixes, but nitecore doesnt seem to care about putting out a well designed product, they seem more interested in selling a gimmick.

customer service. lacking. but on par with many other chinese based manufacturers. fenix, to me is the only exception, i have gotten excellent service from fenix. 4sevens, zebralight, eagletac are US based, manufactured in china. so those are different.

just my opinion based on what ive seen and experienced....

twicksisted

Newly Enlightened
Hey Thanks for all the replys!
(wasnt subscribed to this thread so diddnt see them till now).
Just reading through all of the suggestions now :)

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
I own
Nitecore: D10 camo, 2 sr3 with xml upgrades, infinity, IFE1, and a TM11
Jetbeam:rrt3 (SST-50)

Nitecore has great ideas for flashlights but never seem to fully test them before releasing. Every nitecore I own has some quirk to it even the brand new TM-11.
The Jetbeam works perfectly but I only own one.
I try not to buy nitecores anymore but they always seem to come up with new products that I HAVE to check out. If you want reliability I would have to say Jetbeam. Of course, Jetbeam owns nitecore now so maybe we'll see better QC checks in the future. I would hate to see nitecore disappear.

okwchin

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore PDs have always had an issue with the greasing of the pistons. They were always classically greased with the blue thick grease that would totally ruin the switching feel. This was the primary cause of this "quality control" issue, just a re-greasing and it was fine.

The current D11.2s though, do suffer from poorer QC with variations in body length, and just have a suckier design on the driver (narrow voltage range in which it can maintain regulation), and the delayed turn-on/off which is result of moving strobe/sos to the off side of the switching cycle. UI is much improved now, but just doesn't Feel right IMO.

I am a little reluctant to recommend the D11.2, and I'm a big fan of the nitecore PDs, I've got a total of 16 PD torches from nitecore, but only 2 are D11.2s, and I won't be buying anymore D11.2s, but I'm still looking for D10s

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Ive gone through many a light this past year and I have not been impressed nor kept any of the nitecore's or jetbeams I got. Tried the M1X RRT0 ezaa and Jet III Pro SB. I liked the Jet III the best, was a really nice light but the output just wasn't there. If youre looking for quality go with an HDS or Surefire/Malkoff combos. Or just Surefire E1l or E1b. They can be found on the MP for better prices than you see at retail. I also have had some 4Sevens lights and they, in my opinion are comparable to nitecore/jetbeam. I think the fit and finish of them is a little below jetbeam but above nightcore. But their reliability has been better than both. Therefore I would go with 4 sevens, get a neutral while they are still available. Or just save yourself all the hassle and spend a few more dollars and get an HDS.

michman

Newly Enlightened
This being my first post, I figure that I should thank you all for all of the discussions that you have put forth over the years. I have been reading these forums off and on (depending on what light has recently caught my attention) since 2005 or so... I have been a bit of a flashlight nerd since I was a kid, building my own micro lights from christmas tree lights, AAA, paperclips, and electrical tape. I have been a big fan of the Photon Microlights since 2001, and the CMG Infinity (green, which I still use as an EDC), and two Gerber Infinities (2005). Other lights have come and gone over the years, but the Infinities and Photons have always been my go-tos over the years for EDC

This all said, recently I was saddened by the loss of my green LED CMG Infinity, and my EDC white(ish) LED Gerber Infinity (within a week of each other, and a week before a three day camping trip - My Tikka XP played full duty, with Photons in reserve).

My wife quickly became annoyed as I have been looking for a reason to get some new lights over the years, and she just doesn't get it. I like the small lights. Looking at what is available in AA and AAA (youtube has been great for this), I came across the D10 R2. I thought to myself, this is the light for me! About the same size as the Infinity, has some range, etc., BUT has now been discontinued. Then I come across the D11.2. I read this thread, other threads, contact some people, and I am not sure what to think. I decided to play it safe and bought the new EZ AA R5 from goinggear. I couldn't sleep at night. Despite all that has been written about this light, there seems to be some people who are having some luck with it. I decided to be one of those people myself, and have recently purchased the D11.2 (again from goinggear). They are both in the mail, the EZ AA R5 to be here a few days before the D11.2.

I some times think that I am making myself paranoid by continually reading the posts on the D11.2. In theory, to me this could be a great light as an EDC, but have I made a bad choice? What percent of these lights are faulty? Not too many people are raving about the lights, but.... :shrug: Now I wait for the mail man...

Anyways, that is where I am now. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the forum. It is good to know that there really are some really good flashlights available these days, as well as people who have an enthusiasm (not to mention budget) for some of these gems. I have just bought an E01 to replace my Infinity on my key ring. I never could justify the price of an Arc AAA.

Oh, one last thing. I managed to bring my CMG back from the dead (after I bought the EO1 and EZ AA R5), and managed to get my second GIU to work. It has had a weird connection since I bought it, and has sat in a drawer for seven years. Now that the other is fully dead, I am delighted that the other has finally decided to work.... AND I have new lights on the way!

fyrstormer

Banned
In response to the quality control issues, my best explanation is this: Chinese factories save money by allowing wider ranges of tolerances in the products they manufacture, and then they "filter" the units according to how well they meet the original specification. Their preferred clients get the best-made units for a somewhat higher price, and the remaining clients get the units that don't meet the spec as well. This way they can minimize overhead costs by not "wasting" time ensuring perfectly-consistent tolerances and by only throwing away parts that are too out-of-spec to be usable at all.

What all this means is, when you buy a Chinese product, you want to buy it at full-price from a highly-respected reseller of that product. If you buy it at a discount or from a reseller that also sells a wide array of unrelated or competing products, you will get a unit that falls short of the design spec in some way. Some people say this is wrong, but really it's just a difference in cultural expectation. Not everyone thinks that exacting perfectionism is something to be proud of.