Surefire LX2 Clip Fragility

Southpawtact

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had problems with Surefire LX2 pocket clips breaking? I'm on my fourth one which is surprising for such an expensive light. They always break at a visible line right under the attachment point to the light. Is that line suppose to be a "Break away" point? Any insight into this would help.

Thanks,
Southpaw

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I've already been through a few myself. I have to keep calling surefire and they keep sending me a replacement. I had to stop using this light as my EDC. I would love to keep on with this one as an EDC light but the fragile clip makes that impossible. Mine usually break as I am entering the car.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I broke one very early on. After the replacement arrived it didn't break again.
The newer one didn't have that line that appears to be a break-away. Maybe mine is a weirdo and should of had that but I'm happy!
I guess it's a bother to call them but as long as it's free I wouldn't really mind too much.
As long as I didn't loose the light that is!!! Keepem clipped in the pocket fellas'!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip was designed to break in case it got snagged onto something. I am curious how you guys broke it. I have had my LX2 for about two years and the clip hasn't broken off.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The door-frame at work. It's metal and I was in a hurry. It's when I tried to bend it back that it died.
You clipped it on the side pocket of your slacks when it happened? I always have my light clipped to the rear pocket of my jeans or tactical pants. I figure it is better this way since being behind there is lesser chance of it snagging onto say a door frame, cabinet or anything that might potentially snag the clip. I am more concerned about tearing my pants when it snag onto something.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone had problems with Surefire LX2 pocket clips breaking? I'm on my fourth one which is surprising for such an expensive light. They always break at a visible line right under the attachment point to the light. Is that line suppose to be a "Break away" point? Any insight into this would help.

Thanks,
Southpaw

Yep, I've already been through a few myself. I have to keep calling surefire and they keep sending me a replacement. I had to stop using this light as my EDC. I would love to keep on with this one as an EDC light but the fragile clip makes that impossible. Mine usually break as I am entering the car.

Yeah I've been struggling with this myself. Of course it's by design, & they do replace them (I'd rather lose a clip than an entire light or get clipped to something moving I don't want to be). If you remove the clips their wp'ness is compromised, and last time they advised me if I keep breaking them, they will eventually request that I sent my lights in for examination. That's completely reasonable- I wouldn't want to keel replacing them either if I were S.F. Still, something I want to avoid. Think I'm going to get on last replacement, so I can then dump all my clipped s.f.'s.

O.T. But does there exist a good marketplace strategy for making sure that if one sells, they all sell? pretty much the only thing I can think of is grouping them together all in one package, which likely isn't something anyone's going to want. I'll likely have to give them away.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done both front & rear pockets. Just keep in mind rear pocket can scratch nice leather if that's a factor for you.

Shooter21

Enlightened
i like how i didnt have to call them for a replacement clip i just emailed them since my brother's e2dl defender clip broke

Jakpro

Newly Enlightened
You can put a regular "C" Surefire clip on it. It would be bezel up and would not ride as deep, however.

Machete God

Enlightened
I just got a replacement clip for my LX2 in the mail today (talk about overkill packaging, lol).

It's the first time mine has broken, but then I've only had the LX2 for less than a year. It broke while sitting inside the pocket. I had put it in (without clipping) while in a hurry and when I went to take it out to clip on the pocket I realised it had snapped off.

I inspected the newly arrived clip before putting it on, and noticed that the clip is made in such a way that the part near the clip mounting point (where breaks usually happen) is constantly under stress from the other end of the clip pushing against the tailcap. Could this be a factor in why so many clips are breaking, besides the fact that clips are actually designed to break?

P.S. There are a few other threads about the LX2's breaky clip, there's some useful info in those as well, IIRC.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I wonder what SF felt about the frequent reports of clips breaking, and will SF be doing something about it? I mean it wouldn't make economic sense if everyone is having their clips breaking away a few times and asking for replacements. It will be high costs involved on SF right?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
poop!
It is

Thanks for that reminder man! U saved me, lol.

Yeah just be aware when sitting in for instance seats with high bolsters, or deep soft couches that sink a lot, it can scuff.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I wonder what SF felt about the frequent reports of clips breaking, and will SF be doing something about it? I mean it wouldn't make economic sense if everyone is having their clips breaking away a few times and asking for replacements. It will be high costs involved on SF right?

I'm sure we'll be told by the SF marketing department bloggers that the LX2 clip is brilliantly designed as a frangible link to protect the light. :)

I inspected the newly arrived clip before putting it on, and noticed that the clip is made in such a way that the part near the clip mounting point (where breaks usually happen) is constantly under stress from the other end of the clip pushing against the tailcap. Could this be a factor in why so many clips are breaking, besides the fact that clips are actually designed to break?

It looks to me like that area around the mounting point is indeed spring loaded for metal fatigue, that is where mine failed also.

When I called SF customer service to get the LX2 clip replaced, they didn't seem at all surprised. If you're really careful with the clip it might not break but it sure feels flimsy compared to clips on other lights including SF's. I hardly use the clip anyway but I do keep it on to stop the light from rolling. I see on another thread that a special edition LX2 comes with a short clip.

Viper715

Enlightened
I've broke many many surefire clips including E1E, E2E and C2 clips. I've always caught them on something usually when getting out of the car. I've only broke one lX2 clip so far and that was when I was futsing with it putting it on and taking it off a couple different lights. I guess I have been more careful with it knowing it has a tendency to break. When looking at the point where the clip meets the light it does look like that is a week point designed that way or not having the metal cut in the way it does makes for a week point. I've been trying to find a local machine shop to make a custom clip for SF lights but haven't had any luck.

Best Regard,
Eric

arek98

Enlightened
I broke 2 LX2 clips, both exactly the same way. I had light clipped in front jeans packed close to outside end. Then when reaching for car keys that I had in the same packet I broke clip when taking my hand out.

Now I carry it in packet without clipping which has at least three disadvantages: turns on momentarily when I bend (like squatting for example), bezel makes holes in packet, need to be careful what else is in packed so it will not scratch lens.

I think that clip is to week. Even if designed to break at some point it should not break that easily.

nbp

Flashaholic
Can you guys be more careful please? All these replacement clips SF is sending out is really driving up the cost of the lights for the rest of us.

;)

Latest posts