Recommendation for rechargeable flashlight for rural/ranch?

brewthunda

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for a rechargeable flashlight for use in a largely rural/ranch area. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here are my criteria:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X__I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in _Powell Butte, Oregon_____________.
__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
__X__Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
__?__Holster carry.
__?__Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
__?__I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
__?__Incandescent (known for superior color rendition) - I'D LIKE SOMETHING WITH DECENT COLOR. THE BLUE-ISH LIGHT I'VE SEEN ON OLDER LED LIGHTS IS SOMETIMES HARD ON THE EYES.
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights) - THIS IS WHAT I'M REALLY LOOKING FOR - SOMETHING THAT WE CAN KEEP PLUGGED IN IN A CHARGING BASE IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM AND HAVE READY TO GO AT ALL TIMES. I HAVE A 5 YEAR OLD AND FLASHLIGHTS AROUND HERE ALWAYS SEEM TO BE DEAD WHEN I NEED THEM.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens). THIS IS FOR OUR 10 ACRE PROPERTY IN THE MIDDLE OF RURAL LAND. THE CLOSEST NEIGHBOR IS 1/2 MILE AWAY AND WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO CHECK ON OUR ANIMALS AT NIGHT WHEN THE COYOTES ARE COMING THROUGH THE PROPERTY.
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces) I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING THAT CAN ILLUMINATE A REASONABLY WIDE AREA. I'VE HAD LIGHTS IN THE PAST (INOVA, FENIX) THAT TENDED TO THROW A VERY NARROW SPOT OF LIGHT THAT MADE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFICULT.
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
__X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed) THIS IS MOSTLY FOR CHECKING OUT THE PROPERTY AT NIGHT. 60 MINUTES SOUNDS PERFECT. RECHARGEABLE IS KEY.
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
__X__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
__X__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__?__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Again, thanks for the help!

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Sounds like you need an XM-L LED, they have great output and tend to be floody. As for power your options are for rechargable NiMH (eneloops, duracell or energizer ect) or a Lithium 18650. These are the most popular here. Check out the Battery section of this forum and decide on a type of battery and charger. Then pick out a light to match. GoingGear.com has a great Youtube sight with reviews on alomst everything and is a great help in deciding what light will work best for you.

BVH

Flashaholic
Many might disagree with me but here goes. For 14 years, I lived on a 10 acre parcel out in the middle of nowhere. On a well, propane, septic system. I did have utility electrical. Exceptionally dark nights and nearest neighbor, about 1800 feet away. Nobody left outside lighting on unless there was a specific need and of course, the nearest streetlight was miles away.

In my opinion, even a strong, commercially available (not a custom modded light) LED light in your price range is not going to provide much usable identifying light beyond 300'. Sure, it will provide some reflecting glow off of an object, but will you really be able to identify what it is you are looking at. Maybe, maybe not.

HID's are king for distance. They provide both long distance throw and floody spill at the same time. One drawback though, is their short lag in warm-up time. However, even during warm up, they are providing more than 1,000 Lumens - more than most commercial LED lights. So it is really a "perceived" drawback.

Might I suggest a Stanley HID. A 35 Watt, pistol grip style, hand held light. It incorporates a "boosted" start-up so there is no typical HID warm-up lag. It is rechargeable, can be operated endlessly off of a cigarette lighter adapter and stays charged even when not plugged in for quite some time - months. It will run about 25 minutes on a charge. It will easily throw a bright beam 1,000 feet and provide significant wide peripheral lighting at the same time. They run around $75.00 give or take last I knew. Google "Stanley HID". They're cheap enough to buy two, then you have redundancy and up to 50 minutes of light.

varmint

Enlightened
I had the same question a few months ago, I live in Texas and raise cattle, I bought a Streamlight Strion and could not be happier with it. I have used Streamlight in Law Enforcement for years and admit I am brand loyal, never a problem, want a larger one try a Stinger LED.
Larry

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A HID might be best, but they usually cost over $100. The Stanley HID is under $100, but only runs for half an hour and doesn't have great color rendering (8000K, blue lighting). The next best is probably the Titanium N30, better color (4200K, the sun is 6000K and Incan bulbs are around 3000K), more runtime, and has 7 5mm LEDs for close range illumination, but that is $180.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Stanley HID is a good suggestion for the money and for spotting things outside the house...not very practical for anything other than spotting things at a distance though. So, maybe consider a couple of lights or something in between. If you get something like the Stanley then also get something for general use as well.

I know you asked for something that stays plugged into the wall on the ready, but I do not know of any lights like that are of any real quality & provides enough output for your uses. I'd suggest getting a light that uses rechargeable batteries like NiMH rechargeables (like AA size eneloops.) My favorite general use 2 x AA light that works great on 2 eneloops is the Quark AA2. So use the Stanley HID for spotting things outdoors & use the Quark AA2 for general uses.

If you'd rather just have one light that is good for spotting things outdoors, and has good general use lower light levels as well then I'd suggest one of these - EagleTac M3C4 XML, or the Olight M3X, or the Thrunite Catapult V3 XML (all three of these run on Rechargeable 18650 Li-ion batteries.) Or maybe a light that runs on AA batteries like eneloop rechargeable then take a look at the 800 lumen Fenix TK41. Check out these beamshots of several LED throwers done by a CPF reviewer named selfbuilt - Click Here and Click Here as well

brewthunda

Newly Enlightened
You guys are great - thanks for the recommendations! I know I've presented a tricky mix of criteria and I appreciate the brainstorming. Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

I know it's tough to find something that stays plugged in rather than simply having rechargeable batteries - but I think this makes the most sense for us. My 5 year old loves flashlights and hasn't quite figured out why they need to be turned off. He also loves taking things apart and forgetting where the parts are. So with our current flashlights there's a 50/50 chance that they'll be dead or the batteries will be missing whenever I need to use it. Plus, I don't want my wife to have to load rechargeable batteries from a charger every time she needs to use the flashlight. A dedicated charging cradle up on the wall will solve most of these issues.

I bought my dad an INOVA T4 3 or 4 years ago and he loves it - and he lives on a farm. I like it, too, but the beam is a bit narrow and the color is a bit cold. I could just go with one of those. The Streamlight Stinger and Strion are catching my eye, too.

Where would you guys recommend that I buy a light online? I've been looking at BrightGuy.com.

Also, I just want to say that this site is great. I'm a knife nut, homebrewing nut, DIY hi fi nut and a bit of a car nut and this site is right up in the top 2 or 3 forums that I follow.

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Another thing you could do is get the mag-lite mag charger and then get the terralux LED drop in for it. Maybe wall mount it near a door etc. that way everyone knows where it is and has access to it.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xtar A01 has an internal charge circuit. It can be left plugged in. It is a good light...Try Jake at SB flashlights. Under $50.

FOr a bit more and great throw...try the Xeno X42. Powerful throw....just reviewed a few days ago. Cannot be plugged in.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I'm going to agree with the people suggesting HID, 10 acres is quite a bit and for less than 100 dollars HID will do a much better job of lighting up your property, I live on 5 acres and LED's just don't cut the mustard (maybe something big like an olight sr90 would but I'm not spending that much on an LED light).

cummins4x4

Enlightened
I live in rural Alberta, 5 acres fenced right in the middle of cattle and grain country. I have 6 xxxfire 250 lumens that run on 18650's with charged spares always ready. My Magcharger stays in the shop because it can take the extreme cold without damaging the battery pack. My goto light is an Olight SR51 running on 2 18650's and 6 CR123's in the winter. Also have 200 lumens keychain lights. I am starting to see the value in good headlamps and am currently researching these. You can never have too many good lights IMO (not likely to get any argument here) No experience with HID's, looking for a killer light like an SR90 but without the proprietary battery pack. The new big Surefires intrigue me, like SF, have used their weapon lights for decades on shotguns.
Just want to share what is working for me. Buy lots of good batteries, I keep about a dozen 18650's and several dozen CR123's for backup and in subzero conditions.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out my comparison review of many rechargeable systems, link is here.

You said that you want to keep it plugged in all the time? Unless it's really necessary, I wouldn't recommend doing so as it will shorten the life of the battery.

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
This goes over your budget but Sunwayman V60C plus charging cradle. 728 lumens XML so quite wide beam, variable brightness, uses 3x18650s BUT you can buy cradle charger for light. Other than that I think cheap HIDs are your best bet.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where would you guys recommend that I buy a light online? I've been looking at BrightGuy.com.

BrightGuy.com seems good, but I've never ordered from them. Check out Goingear.com, 4Sevens.com, Batteryjunction.com, FenixTactical.com, and LightJunction.com to name some of the best that I've dealt with over the years. Goingear and 4sevens are my two favorites because their customer service has been outstanding 100% of the time, and returns have never been an issue.

I am starting to see the value in good headlamps and am currently researching these.

Cummins4x4 - You should check out headlamps from zebralight...best in the business for the price in my opinion. I use a ZL H51 for running before sun up...fantastic light with the best UI around. ZL is releasing an 18650 based headlamp that has outputs that range from 750 lumens all the way down to 0.1 lumen in a lightweight package....worth a look.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Rechargeable flashlights- the notion bothers me because I haven't seen any that are not a compromise and tied to the supplied battery packs. So I'm just going to throw in a thought here- if you're in a rural area that is also prone to power outages (and I don't know of many that aren't), you may want to consider that it would be best to make sure you get a unit that also takes regular batteries and you may also find that you don't need a specifically need a rechargeable unit at all. You might find that it would be better to, for instance, get something like a Quark AA that takes both regular and eneloops AA batteries. Eco-minded CPFers who use eneloops refer to their 'guilt free lumens' but those same lumens are also practically cost free after the initial investment, and you end up with a truly long lived, effective, and versitile flashlight.

EDIT: oops I did it again. I meant to post 'something like a Quark AA2' but left off the '2. (CPF has, since I started posting, exposed an unsuspected and thankful trivial dyslexia in me, related to model letters and numbers). Not that the AA is not a fine light, just a mite small and a tiny bit less desirable for everyday use when compared to the AA2.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable flashlights- the notion bothers me because I haven't seen any that are not a compromise and tied to the supplied battery packs. So I'm just going to throw in a thought here- if you're in a rural area that is also prone to power outages (and I don't know of many that aren't), you may want to consider that it would be best to make sure you get a unit that also takes regular batteries and you may also find that you don't need a specifically need a rechargeable unit at all. You might find that it would be better to, for instance, get something like a Quark AA that takes both regular and eneloops AA batteries. Eco-minded CPFers who use eneloops refer to their 'guilt free lumens' but those same lumens are also practically cost free after the initial investment, and you end up with a truly long lived, effective, and versitile flashlight.
excelent point, ml125 takes either provided rechargable pack, or alkaline C cells.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
I have decided on lights that use 18650's or CR123's, the rechargeables don't like subzero temps so if the light is subject to this I load it up with primaries.
I have looked at the zebra headlamps, leaning towards the Sparks right at the moment.

Last edited: