4Sevens Quark AA body problem

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I had my Quark AA2 R5 Tactical for about a year and a half now and have enjoyed it very much. But due to it's size I didn't carry it as much as I'd liked so I decided to order an AA body for it. It arrived today and I'm not happy. I can't use it. I can't screw the tailcap on the AA body, the head screws on either end just fiine but tailcap cannot be screwed on the AA body (it is locking after 1/2 turn). Did anyone have such a problem? Shouldn't these all be compatible? The famous 4sevens Lego? :confused: Is there a solution? What should I do? I wanted to order the cr123 body next but am now very hesitant about it.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on yours are screwed up. That happened to me once about 2 years ago. I have 9 quarks and yes they ALL lego with each other (even the new Turbo X and the AA2 X fit my other quark bodies & tails etc.) Two years ago I bought an 18650 body (now discontinued,) and a couple of my other quarks would sort of screw onto it but others didn't fit a all. I had to send it back for an exchange which worked out well....I was dealing with 4sevens.com who has always had great customer service. So you'll need to send yours back.

By the way, I like your avatar picture...funny, and welcome to CPF.

Last edited:

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, I've sent them a message. Let's see what they say. The thing that was strange to me was that the head could be screwed on just fine. :thinking:

And thanks for the welcome, but I've been here for some time now, almost two years. Just haven't been that active here (more on CPFMP) and I just lost some posts in the big crash.

bbb74

Enlightened
I've had similar issues before with Quarks too. I had to get a part replaced and still not all the threads are 100% compatible - some are pretty stiff.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
As advised here I sent 47s an e-mail.

Here was their response:

It sounds like you may have received a AA body with a manufacturer defect. We will ship you out a replacement AA body today. I apologize for the inconvenience.Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Nice service, right? Well... Yesterday I received that replacement body, and again same problem. :mad: Let's say I was a bit peeved. I didn't feel like going through one more cycle of this so I tried to fix it myself. I succeeded and now have a perfectly functioning flashlight but that shouldn't have been my job as a paying customer, right?

Here is the e-mail I sent them yesterday evening explaining the case and what I did to fix it. Doesn't seem to harsh, does it?

Hi, Gary,

I received the replacement AA body today and again it was one with the manufacturer defect. Did you check if it would fit before sending it? I got mad and tired of it and decided to take a closer look. I noticed that the threads were broader and thicker than on my original AA2 and so I filed them down, removed the excess metal and polished it with some 1200 grit sandpaper. With some trial and error and brute force I managed to fix it. It now works perfectly and I'll leave it at that but I'm not too happy with the service I got. It was nice of you to send me a replacement after the first one was defective but for the second one to be defective too, I didn't expect that from a company for which I always had the utmost respect and have often recommended to people on various forums like EDCForums and Multitool.org.

Regards,

Nikola

Last edited:

PerttiK

Enlightened
I had similar problem with 18650 body and an extra tailcap I ordered some time ago.
IIRC the tailcap I received didn't have anodizing on threads and refused to screw on a body that had ano in threads.
But the tailcap that came with my QAA has ano and works nice with that 18650 body.
I ended up wiggling that cap with no ano on that 18650 body with lube and a lot of back and forth twisting.
Now that troublesome cap fits both bodies, although doesn't lock out in AA body.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive experience many threading problems with my quarks. lets just say i dont have any quark lights anymore, which hurts, cause i love the quark tacticals.
worst threads of any high-end manufacturers.

but its good to hear 4sevens took care of the problem.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
It sounds like 47s did NOT fix the problem, or at least was not given the opportunity to try again.

enki_ck

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like 47s did NOT fix the problem, or at least was not given the opportunity to try again.

No, they didn't and I didn't feel like going through the motions again. :rant: I did let them know of the problem and the CS guy wrote back that he did try it and he didn't have any problems screwing the head on my replacement body. If he had read my e-mail, he would have realised the head was never the problem. It was screwing the tailcap on.

The threads on the head have to be a bit looser than the ones on the tail section as the head is meant to be turned to change the mods. The tail is only unscrewed for changing batteries and has to be a much tighter fit. I did end up fixing the body myself and have been carrying it for the last two weeks now, no problems what so ever. Just don't think I'll be ordering the CR123 body or any of the Lego parts again. :( That makes me sad.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
^^^^^^^ I just got the AA2 X regular and an 1x AA body---and I LOVE this light!!! FWIW my AA body legoed just fine with my other Quark stuff, no issues at all.

Also, just so you know, if you want to tail stand a tactical, you need to get a turbo flat tailpiece---just changing the boot won't work because the switches themselves are different.

NP

kreisler

Banned
Also, just so you know, if you want to tail stand a tactical, you need to get a turbo flat tailpiece
That is very good info, thanks!!

i didnt know that the Turbo Accessories fit on the Regular Quark (or the Tactical Quark), because on the website their listed on different webpages (sections).

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didnt know that the Turbo Accessories fit on the Regular Quark (or the Tactical Quark), because on the website their listed on different webpages (sections).

It definitely fits. I use a turbo flat tail on one of my Quark AA2 all the time. I like that it is a forward clicky & can tailstand. It also fits on my quark 123, quark 123x2, quark AA, 18650 body, and of course the Turbo X.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
How does the turbo flat tail work with your non-tactical Quark AA2? I've heard mixed things about using tactical tailcaps on non-tactical Quarks, but I really like tail stand AND momentary on.....does the turbo tailpiece give you momentary on with a non-tactical Quark?

NP

It definitely fits. I use a turbo flat tail on one of my Quark AA2 all the time. I like that it is a forward clicky & can tailstand. It also fits on my quark 123, quark 123x2, quark AA, 18650 body, and of course the Turbo X.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the turbo flat tail work with your non-tactical Quark AA2? I've heard mixed things about using tactical tailcaps on non-tactical Quarks, but I really like tail stand AND momentary on.....does the turbo tailpiece give you momentary on with a non-tactical Quark?

NP

Yes you get momentary.
To choose modes, you simply half push (momentary), until you reach the desired mode, then click on.

I prefer mine this way, and have changed them all, excepting one Ti AA.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I'll be ordering some Turbo flat tails very soon!

NP

Yes you get momentary.
To choose modes, you simply half push (momentary), until you reach the desired mode, then click on.

I prefer mine this way, and have changed them all, excepting one Ti AA.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, it changes modes.

You need the Quark Tactical head for that.

I typically use my lights in short bursts, and don't always need to click on, so I prefer the forward switch.

Nonprophet

Newly Enlightened
That I'm aware of you can send morse code with practically any flashlight by turning the light on and then loosening and tightening the tailpiece. All the quarks have and SOS mode, but you can still use any non-flashing mode to send morse as described above.

NP

Can you send in morse code with this configuration? (That's the point of half push and why it's called "tactical momentary on". If the torch chooses modes by half push, then it's not called momentary activation afaik)