Recommendation: EDC light that'll disorient an angry dog while walking at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlebas

Newly Enlightened
Guys, the wife and I go for a brief walk around the neighborhood (suburban Chicago) after work each day. It's getting darker earlier now, so mid-way through we're in the dark. Every now and then there's a barking dog or other critter that surprises us b/c we can't see it coming as easily in the dark. I'd like to get something smallish that'll throw off a good amount of light with a nice strobe mode that might help disorient or scare off Cujo.

I currently EDC a photon freedom micro on my keychain, and a Fenix eo5 r2 on another keychain in a pocket. The Fenix is just a single mode twisty; the photon does have a strobe mode but it takes too long to get to it--hold down the button while it cycles. Probably takes a good 10-15 seconds. I want to get there quicker. So here's kinda what I'm looking for:

Price: $50ish, not much more unless it's unavoidable. Certainly under $100.

Size: Pocket size or smaller

Type: I think a clicky might be my best option. I'm open to a twisty, but speed is important.

Purpose: I hate to say 'tactical' but yeah, a strobe mode and/or bright enough to stun is the most important thing.

Materials: don't really care; I'm open to black or metal, smooth or rough, matte or shiny, Ti or other.

Batteries: not that important to me, whatever it takes

Suggestions?

Others have suggested that dogs are rarely affected by a light and that pepper spray might be a better option than a light. Still, I'm curious about what you might recommend. I'm told the Streamlight ProTac 2L is a possibility and it does have a lot of the characteristics I'm looking for.​

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than an HID or O light SR 90....lights won't bother a dog. Try a good loud whistle. Anything that surprises an animal can get them off mode. I usually carry a good stout walking stick...it can be enough to stop an attack...get the dog to bite on the stick.

edgar

Newly Enlightened
Whats up with all the people scared of the dog ?
Leave them domestic animal alone , dont go walking in the dark , stay at home with your wife :)

Take some sausage , throw them to the dog , make new friend ...

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Whats up with all the people scared of the dog ?
Leave them domestic animal alone , dont go walking in the dark , stay at home with your wife :)

Take some sausage , throw them to the dog , make new friend ...

some of us aren't afraid of the dark. I happen to enjoy walking/running at night, and rarely had to be wary of my surroundings. I am confident I can either avoid or neutralize any probable threat I encounter out there. The exception is if I get 'stopped and searched' by the police. I might be in a bit of trouble then :)

Juan334

Newly Enlightened
some of us aren't afraid of the dark. I happen to enjoy walking/running at night, and rarely had to be wary of my surroundings. I am confident I can either avoid or neutralize any probable threat I encounter out there. The exception is if I get 'stopped and searched' by the police. I might be in a bit of trouble then :)
Concealed weapons permit? In Florida it's $50 for the class and $115 for the license Just some info

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I would not trust a light to stop an angry charging dog. A strobe might throw him off for a bit, but at some point that dog is going to find your leg by smell and by sound.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, a bright flashlight is not going to be enough to stop a dog. I had an experience with a loose pit bull a few years ago, while walking my dog at night, that turned out okay, fortunately, but it was educational. I had a Fenix P2D-CE Q5. Supposedly 180 lumens. That output figure may be slightly inflated, but it still seems pretty bright to me, and throws a tight, focused beam. A loose pit bull across the street came running over to check out my dog. Scared the hell out of me, because my dog can be a bit 'frisky' with other dogs. She doesn't bite, but she definitely doesn't act submissive. As the dog came across the street, I put the Fenix on turbo, shined it directly in the other dogs eyes, and shouted, "NO! NO! NO!". Neither my voice, nor the light, made a whit of difference. I was very fearful that my dog would get hurt (and it would be my fault for constraining her on a leash and then not protecting her), and I considered kicking the other dog away as it came within range, but was afraid that might escalate everything. As it was, the other dog sniffed aggressively for awhile (with me continuing to use the light and shout), but eventually it lost interest, and wandered back across the street. This wasn't really even an attack, but the light and shouting didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. I am very thankful that things turned out the way they did.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
As expected this thread has gone down hill fast, the most inappropriate post has been deleted, i don't see this ending well.
Thread closed - Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.