UI question for HDS users

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
given that the lights come on with a click to mode B,
and that the light can be turned on instead in mode A with "click, press-hold",
is it possible to turn the light on straight into mode D with four fast clicks?

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Just checked (HDS-R1B-200).

No, did not work.

I have momentary enabled, and tactical strobe on mode C.

emergency beacon on mode D.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks Quiksilver for checking it out for me.
I'm saving $ to get one in the next week or so but I thought I'd go ahead and memorize the UI with an old Surefire I have.
If 4 clicks would have gone straight to D then D would have been about optimal for the tactical strobe.
It's gonna be a toss up for A to be full power or tactical strobe... I can see full power on A being real useful for the momentary function most often, but coming out of a bar late the strobe would be nice to pop into straight from off or low.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
given that the lights come on with a click to mode B,
and that the light can be turned on instead in mode A with "click, press-hold",
is it possible to turn the light on straight into mode D with four fast clicks?

The solution for me is to activate both momentary and memory: This way, the light remembers the last mode which is just a single click away - a click and hold will give momentary last level used > double click, hold will give burst and when released the light will return to off
> From on, Click press hold release will give a constant max. If max. (burst) was the last level used a simple click release will fire up the light in max. For me three clicks from on (any level) takes me to D moonlight. Momentary moonlight Press, hold. Release the light is off.

What takes a little getting used to is that on momentary the light will click. You have to hold the button down for more than 1/2" to activate momentary and when released it will Click off! A short click will turn the light onto the previously used level...Brilliant! :twothumbs

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still click, push-hold to A, Identify and if plain option is to be aggressive then a triple click to strobe would work just fine... probably will work well with getting feet placed to fight or flee.
Tactical strobe on A just takes away too much utility unless you look for trouble for a living.
Great! A for full and D for tactical strobe it is then!

Too bad the UI doesn't allow multiple programming trees.

Ah, just saw your post Sparky's Magic... I'll chew that over thoroughly and play/practice the possible routines. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
@ eh4,
If you make A strobe everything i said about max. will apply to strobe but best IMHO. is to give yourself more options by activating memory and momentary.

i.e. You have A set to strobe and B (or C) set to max. then with memory and momentary for whatever last level was used you can have any level or mode almost instantly. You could for instance set strobe to B and bypass it altogether by setting A to max. and C to a reasonably bright medium, then if you want strobe from medium C toggle (fast double click) and you're there.

I find the best place for moonlight, which i have set at level 1, is D and it sits bedside in moonlight; if i need max. in a hurry (seldom happens) from off > click, release, click hold. From moonlight > same sequence but release for max. constant on. Double Clicks and press,holds become second nature pretty quickly - In the morning I click on to moonlight, single click and release then toggle (double click) to medium; the medium I get will be the last medium I was in before triple clicking to my moonlight. My C is about 25Lu. (Level 18) and is more useful than you might imagine. Of course, by day, my HDS is my EDC.

I hope this helps! :)

Good Luck. :party:

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, yes it does help.
I'm going to ponder it all while waiting for my light, and mock up routines with the regular momentary switch light I've got, but as I'm planning on getting a rotary I'm thinking that A on max makes more sense than most other options. Moonlight is the default need that I have for a light, but with a rotary I'll just keep rotary on B and give it a habitual twist in the low direction when I pull it out.
I will have to go back and reread the online user manual, don't remember reading about Memory mode, or the PDF might not cover it.

My guess at overall best utility with Rotary HDS (without having one to mess with):
Momentary on
Memory on
Burst on
A: High
B: Rotary
C: most commonly needed utility level (15-60 lumens probably, will have to experiment)
D: Tactical Strobe

Thanks Quiksilver and Sparky's Magic for both of your information, very helpful.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I like the <click-click and hold> method of getting to tactical strobe.

Used it a few times on some four-legged critters around here at night. They were docile but still, wanted them moving the other way.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can choose any of the four modes as your starting mode. I always program mine to come on to the low low level.

I had a Novatac (with the same UI) for military use come as the maximum brightness was the turn on mode.

To do it you have to go into programming and disable the force to a level on start, that makes it so whatever you turned it off on it turns on on. Then set it to the mode you want, then turn it on and go back to programming and enable the force to a level on start.

Latest posts