What do you prefer: Bezel up or bezel down carry?

Bezel up or bezel down carry?

• Bezel up

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Bezel down

Votes: 79 81.4%
  • Doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 6 6.2%

• Total voters

ITPython

Banned
After searching I only found a few minor topics about this, so I figured I would make a poll just for the heck of it. I am simply curious as to what people prefer when carrying a flashlight in a pocket, bezel up or bezel down, and why?

Personally I am a bezel up kind of guy. I was born into the world of high quality flashlights just over 4 years ago with a Surefire L4 Lumamax, which is bezel up carry. Since then I have found it an absolute necessity to have the same arrangement in any light I get. After buying a few 4Sevens lights, I noticed they were all default bezel down (except my Quark 123 tactical where the clip is not removable), and it just does not work for me.

I have the same affinity for knives as well, tip-up is my preferred carry style there as well, as it just feels more natural when taking it out and flipping it open, or in the case of a flashlight; getting it comfortably in my hand to turn on with my thumb.

I suppose the downside to bezel up is the potential for damaging/scratching the lens. But, at least for me, this hasn't been an issue with my L4 which I have actively carried as a part of my EDC for 4 years, I just checked and the lens is still in perfect condition.

So what about you?

afrankart

Newly Enlightened
I prefer bezel down and my knives tip up. When I reach in my pocket to grab it, it should fall naturally into the same position that it will have in my hand while I'm using it.

I don't like grabbing stuff then having to turn it around to use it. Can't stand tip down knives or bezel up lights :)

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
I prefer bezel down and my knives tip up. When I reach in my pocket to grab it, it should fall naturally into the same position that it will have in my hand while I'm using it.

I don't like grabbing stuff then having to turn it around to use it. Can't stand tip down knives or bezel up lights :)
+1

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my EDC Quark AA Ti Regular as bezel up. The clip is not reversible, but you can screw the head and tail to whichever end you like.

I don't use the clip as a pocket clip, but I do use it to clip to the brim of my hat.

If I use a pocket clip for its intended purpose, it's deep carry bezel down.

Fird

Enlightened
Bezel up in a holster (easy to draw and flip with tailcap switch), bezel down with belt clip, bezel down if in pocket (or clipped to the edge of pocket)

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Bezel up in a holster (easy to draw and flip with tailcap switch), bezel down with belt clip, bezel down if in pocket (or clipped to the edge of pocket)

Ditto. And for knives, tip down; it's a very fluid motion for me to pinch the pivot, withdraw from pocket while cupping the hand, and flick open with the thumb.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the size of the light and where the switch is placed; though in general I prefer bezel down.

I alternate my pocket EDC light between my SC50w+ and my SC60w. Although they only have one way to clip carry, with the bezel down, I prefer that for them. For me, it makes it easier to access the switch on the side of the light. For larger lights like my PA40, there's only one option with the holster for the light, which is bezel up. I would prefer a bezel down position though, because it would make the switch on the tail of the light easier to access.

I'm the same way for knives; I prefer which ever way gives me the easiest access to open the knife without having to shift it in my hand. I'm a Spyderco aficionado, and have an Endura 4, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, and a Tenacious. For all but the DF2, which can only be carried tip-up, I prefer tip-down carry. It puts the knife in a more natural position that minimizes the amount of adjusting I have to do in my hand to get the knife open. With my DF2, it's not a big deal, since it's a small knife. But for all my other Spydies, I prefer tip-down carry as it's easier to get my thumb in the opening hole of the blade to open it after I pull it out of my pocket.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Bezel down. If I carry it bezel up I usually poke my finger in the lense whilst taking it from my pocket, then my OCD kicks in and I have to spend a few minutes trying to remove the greasy fingerprint.

999snafu

Newly Enlightened
It all depends what I'm doing.

Off duty I usually carry bezel up in a pocket on my strong side. But on duty I prefer to carry bezel down in a blackhawk mod-u-lok holster on my weak side.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bezel down for pocket carry, but if its in a holster I prefer bezel up. Weird.
guna say the same, as when my arm goes to my pocket my thumb is naturally ready for bezel down, when grabing from my hip i tend to turn my hand back ready for bezel up - i just do it naturally not thinking.....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned easier access to the switch but where is the switch you are talking about? On the head like Zebralight, or on the tail cap like Surefire?

How I place my lights depends on the switch orientation. With Zebralight SC series, I like it bezel up since it is easier for my thumb to access the switch which is on the head. With tail cap switches like what most manufacturers offered, I prefer it bezel down for the same reasons. Most of my lights have switches on their tail cap so obviously I carry my lights bezel down most of the time. All I need do is grab the light with my thumb and finger, pull it out, wrap hands around it and the thumb is where the switch is supposed to be on lights with tail switches.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer bezel up. Strike bezel on my SS L2 wears holes in my pants otherwise. Smaller lights just down in the pocket, don't care. Left front, small light and keys, right front, SS L2 and my pocket knife.

Craig K

Enlightened
I don't mind either way but if I had to choose I would probably say bezel down.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bezel down all the way for me! The ONLY light I have with bezel UP clip is a C3 and that's because it fits great in my back pocket. I've drilled and tapped the tails of my Olight Ti Infinitum, MD2 two piece, even the tailcap on my HDS 140GT(123 body). The NC EX11 clip is great IMO.