Received E05 today.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I recently decided it was time to pick up a new EDC. After picking out the E05 I placed my order with GoingGear.

Initial Impressions- Great size for an edc... hardly noticeable in pocket and I think a good balance between output and battery life (nearing 3 hrs on a NiMH). Can light up at least 10M away and makes a nice wall of light within the immediate area around where I'm shining it. However, I was hoping for the "creamy" white output that many others had reported.... unfortunately I received one with a creamy greenish tint. While only really noticeable when wall hunting... the greenish output just does not sit well with me vs. cool blue/cool pinkish (Mini123 and Itp A1 respectively). If I had to pick a tint that I feel represents my lights output I'd put it at a 1T or 2S bin. Otherwise... the light is built well... knurling is nice but not really needed in a light of this size, I just don't know how much I'll love the tint. I was really hoping for more of a 2T or 3S tint. Oh well, it'll do for now... If I find something I like better it'll make a fine gifting light. :wave:

davecroft

Enlightened
Mine should have arrived today - been waiting 10 days for delivery from Hong Kong. Hope it doesn't have the green tint! My last Fenix was a disappointment so I hope this one is ok. Fingers crossed!

varmint

Enlightened
Mine came with a white light with a slight tint of blue in it, very slight, I use it so the tint dont bother me much, I like that little light very much.

ragweed

Enlightened
In real everyday use you should not notice the tint that much. I got lucky & got a creamy white one. I am surprised at the different tints you guys are experiencing. Maybe, the standards have dropped some since I got mine when they first came out. You can get five hours run time with a lithium cell. Its a great EDC light IMO.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
After playing with it some... in real world use... the green tint isn't notiecable really and it does indeed look like a creamy white...

ragweed

Enlightened
All I can say is after putting the E05 beam on a white ceiling, refrigerator & bath tub, mine is creamy white with no hint of green or blue. I have an E01 that is angry blue/purple but, I don't notice it much in actual use except if I shine it on a white ceiling or wall. I have done the steel wool treatment on one of my E01's & am real happy with the nice flood beam I got from doing it. It still has a very slight hint of purple in the beam but, its very very slight.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two EO5's, one with an XP-E, which has a creamy white tint, the other an XP-G, which has a slight greenish tint. I don't notice the greenish tint when I use the light by itself, only when comparing the two side by side.

The XP-E has an so slight oval beam, the XP-G is round. Both are great and I'd be happy with either. Now if Fenix would make a AA version I'd be completely happy.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two EO5's, one with an XP-E, which has a creamy white tint, the other an XP-G, which has a slight greenish tint. I don't notice the greenish tint when I use the light by itself, only when comparing the two side by side...

those were my observations too, exactly.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I've got the R2 Xp-e version and while white-walling I got a slight green tint. However, while out walking the dog tonight I took it out with me and I'm pleased to say that the greenish tint is unnoticeable and the beam profile is perfect for jobs such as walking at night. It will light up the immediate area around you and in a pinch will still light up pretty well at 30-60 feet depending on the level of ambient light... a great EDC light for close tasks (10-15 feet, even better in immediate surroundings with all flood beam).

Overall the tint is primarily a creamy white outside and the one light I have that is near neutral and I've got to say that I really like it and it makes me even more excited for my WW Romisen in the mail with the Q3-5C.... I'm glad to see green grass vs. grey grass with the blue-ish tints.

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
Mine arrived today. The colour of the beam is one of the best I have seen. Even lights that I thought were pretty 'white' look a bit tinted compared to the E05.

I love the feel of the light, solid, no sloppiness in the threads. It's going straight on EDC duty with an Energiser lithium. And I'll be getting a couple more. It has exceeded my expectations.

Mine apparently has the XP-E R2 LED, 27 lumens (dated 27 July 2010). Does anyone know why they also released a XP-G R5 (30 lumen) model? That one seems hard to get hold of now.

Last edited:

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Congrats Dave on the arrival...if you think the E05 looks neutral... which I thought also... until I put it beside my Q3-5C... lol.. Don't get me wrong though... while a cool beam it's on the neutral side of cool IMO. And I also agree, the construction is very solid on such a small light.

IIRC, they never released an R5 but an R4... they were released at the same time but I'm assuming they d/c'ed the R4 and kept producing the R2.

davecroft

Enlightened
Thanks nickdolin. My mistake I meant R4 not R5.

I have done a bit of digging on the XP-G R4/ XP-E R2 issue but I'm really none the wiser. It looks like the E05 was initially available with an XP-G option for slightly higher cost, but now they are all XP-E. The XP-G gave only 3 more lumens, so I don't understand why they bothered. Any difference in throw would have been lost because of the E05 optics. I imagine that the limited run of XP-G makes them more of a collector's item.

Harry999

Enlightened
The R2 version is actually better because from owners of the XP-G R4 the reports were that it was actually cooler whereas the R2 version is definitely warmer. It is a nice light indeed. I am considering getting some more.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did see a slight difference in beam focus, tint and brightness from my R2 to R4, not nothing worth a concern. and harry is right, my R2 is a nicer warmer tint. plus the cost was $5 more for the R4 which i do not believe was worth it.

and IIRC, they only made 2000 of them.

that said, the one i just ordered from amazon is a R2 for under $20 which i consider a best-buy. i couldn't be happier.