HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progress)

Default Re: MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progres

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    The comparison doesn't hold water. None of us is interested in carrying a phone around our necks, and although that wasn't your point, comparing the two is ridiculous.

Having worn a Draco around my neck for the last couple of years I can say that the brightest I would want a single level light to be is somewhere in the 5-20 lumen range. I can't speak for all, but I want something completely practical and not just a blow-the-other-guy-away overdone light that has short run times or is unusable when checking on the baby or other normal day to day usages.

More, more, more is a line from a song that does not translate well to daily life, but rather to egos.
    Thanks as always for the feedback.

I don't think jd_oc was meaning we should carry a phone around our necks (though some people do),
    rather I interpreted it to mean "something usually always with you".
    In that light, it made sense to me at least.

I certainly can not speak for everybody but I tend to have my phone with me most times (ok, so not in the shower)

5-20 is great for most short range tasks
    but just a little more flood is useful too in a large (dark) storeroom when Im looking for stuff.

sorry, not sure that I know the song you mean (more, more, more) but for me its nothing to do with ego,
    for better or for worse, its just pure obsession, and that does not mean that less can not be more,
    just means that I hope to create more.
    creation is a means of expression, even painters feel an urge to paint more, more, more
    so respectfully, I ask you not to take it in the wrong light

peace \/

tgwnn

Flashaholic*

Default Re: MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progres

Wouldn't an iPod nano battery be perfect for this? Small, thin, decent capacity (400mAh), cheap, and being lithium ion you could direct drive the led with just a resistor.
    I cannot pretend to feel impartial about tint colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.
    ~Sir Winston Churchill

sniff sniff sniff! where's the sign up list......:0)

Quote Originally Posted by applevision View Post
    I'm literally dancing a little jig at 3:00AM as I read this! Whoo hoo!

+1. I will say though, jd_oc, that I agree with you in that a more potent light is generally/often welcomed; indeed, if we could have a light with Zebralight functionality in this form factor, I think most of us would be drooling even more than we already are--though I'm not sure that is possible for me [to drool anymore than I am already drooling]! That said, the magic of this type of light is that it is truly something you can have on you at all times: when sleeping, in the shower, when the power goes out and you happen to be in the bathroom without your phone, etc. Since it is such an "intimate" light (sorry! I know that kinda makes it sound like a marital aid--not intended!), it will also be used for things like checking on babies, late night bathroom runs, and to see where you glasses are so you don't knock over the glass of water next to your bed... Thus, as a simple, single level light, something really potent might not be so great in this role. Rather, I like the idea of a 3-10 lumen soft light, similar to the Ti-Fli which I carry and use with great regularity (I had it on for over 1 year without removing it and used it almost every day; only recently have I been trying out the Photon Rex since I was burning though a fair amount of hearing aid batts...) All that said, YMMV and I also hope to see what else comes down the line... perhaps with some element of control in a future light, we could have both low-lumen for the aforementioned purposes, and high-lumen for when we need some power that can be more like a full-sized EDC. Something like the Draco (one of Kaichu's favorites and mine, too!) does this insanely well: very small, rechargeable, multi-levels from nice and dim to blindingly bright! But this light, our little buddy MBI Core Ti, would be significantly smaller and more wearable, and thus would have further specifications...

Apple

p.s. Glad I made someone dance

Quote Originally Posted by JacobJones View Post
    Wouldn't an iPod nano battery be perfect for this? Small, thin, decent capacity (400mAh), cheap, and being lithium ion you could direct drive the led with just a resistor.
    Not a bad idea actually!

A tiny bit bigger than I'd like but at least they are "kind of" standard.

Thanks JJ,

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    sniff sniff sniff! where's the sign up list......:0)
    Coming soon....
    ...not enough hours in the night

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    side note: I had looked at some of the commercially available equipment which looks sooo cooool but I'm not quite ready to be able to buy/operate/keep such equipment personally. Maybe when I can do this full time!
    tgwnn
    So posting here 18 hours a day is not full time? Now that's dedication

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    So posting here 18 hours a day is not full time? Now that's dedication
    maybe a combination of dedication, obsession and passion

not sure that I can keep posting at this pace forever,
    especially once the products actually arrive and I get really busy,
    but all I can say is
    What an awesome place cpf is!!

tgwnn
    Last edited by the_guy_with_no_name; 10-24-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Unenlightened

Awsome I want one already going to have to make room for this next to my vox mini

Quote Originally Posted by Blumoon View Post
    Awsome I want one already going to have to make room for this next to my vox mini
    Thanks Blumoon!

tgwnn

Like the stonewashed idea, matt black would be nice also, as always, keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by mp101 View Post
    Like the stonewashed idea, matt black would be nice also, as always, keep up the good work
    Thanks,

Some additional updates:

Confirmed that beadblast finish is possible,
    maybe stonewash too but I'll need to check the finish on a sample to be sure.
    Also, checking if we need a minimum quantity for that.

Custom engraving (eg. on the non-button side) could be possible,
    The current facility has a laser engraver (but they can not do colors),
    and they can do it on a one-by-one basis for an additional fee.

They explained that when the engraving is done one-by-one, it takes time to set up the machine,
    font, size, etc. which is understandable.

If custom engraving is really something you want,
    please do let me know so I can try and plan ahead,
    as I will need to somehow automate that within the order process to prevent drowning...

tgwnn

Confirmed that beadblast finish is possible,
    maybe stonewash too but I'll need to check the finish on a sample to be sure.
    Just want to point out that these are polar opposites of each other. Beadblast will show marks immediately, whereas stonewash will hide any marking. To compare the two would be to compare latex paint and cerakote.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Just want to point out that these are polar opposites of each other. Beadblast will show marks immediately, whereas stonewash will hide any marking. To compare the two would be to compare latex paint and cerakote.
    Thanks Kaichu as always for the feedback and for suggesting the stonewash finish in the first place.

Of course, agreed that the stonewash will do a better job at hiding any marking and that beadblast may have the effect of highlighting any.
    The exact finish will be determined by the media used (eg. sand,gravel,rocks) so the so called "perfect" stonewash finish may take some trial and error of media choice, unless anyone knows the "exact" formula used to achieve the finish on the knife that kaichu mentioned previously. (anyone??)

tgwnn

p.s. personally I think a cerakote version would be cool

more updates...

confirmed with R&D team that a slightly angled hole,
    as shown in post #41 is doable so will be adjusting design to that shape
    and with a necklace/lanyard attached, the change should not be noticeable without a magnifying glass.

confirmed a latch circuit (one push for on, another push for off) is also possible and we can probably get away with squeezing one into the current size (though pcb size is not 100% confirmed but should be small enough).
    Not sure that I want to do that for V1 though because with end of year approaching quickly, it would likely delay the production run to January, so for those who consider that a must-have feature, please let me know.

I have put together an email subscribe here form (similar to the Torpedo list)
    as well as a survey for preferences MBI Core Ti preferences survey

(I'll add this to the first post)

Switch
    A) Momentary On is fine
    B) One push for On, another push for Off

Finish
    A) polished (same as post #1)
    B) beadblast
    C) stonewash
    D) other

Custom Engraving Wanted
    A) yes
    B) no
    C) maybe

Thanks,
    tgwnn
    Last edited by the_guy_with_no_name; 10-25-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: edited links

Flashaholic*

Hey I wish you luck with this project. Im following your 500lumen AA light thread too.

One thing I do like is that your stuff is aiming for a reasonable price point. The 38DD for example is a really cool amulet light with variable output and high max lumens. But it is also hundreds of dollars... Plus like you said, it has a lot more bulk to it.

I guess my problem with the concept is that there are already quite a few ways to provide light in a compact manner. Honestly this thing is going to be functionally equivalent (at best) to taking a 99 cent squeezie light and tying it around your neck. Won't LOOK nearly as cool of course! But the cheapie is easily attached to a keychain or purse of even non-flashaholics to provide 10-20 lumens as needed while taking up no weight or bulk. Cell Phones often have "flashlight" modes.

Flashaholics will carry an itp A3 or equivalent on their keychain which provides a huge amount of light (relatively speaking). I can't see that many wearing something around their neck.

I figure if someone IS gonna wear a flashlight around their neck, that they probably would go with the 38DD or Draco, etc which gives a lot more wow-factor. Make sure to get a solid gauge of user demand before proceeding too far with this one...especially since you already have a few other buns in the oven!

Quote Originally Posted by joe1512 View Post
    Hey I wish you luck with this project. Im following your 500lumen AA light thread too.

One thing I do like is that your stuff is aiming for a reasonable price point. The 38DD for example is a really cool amulet light with variable output and high max lumens. But it is also hundreds of dollars... Plus like you said, it has a lot more bulk to it.

I guess my problem with the concept is that there are already quite a few ways to provide light in a compact manner. Honestly this thing is going to be functionally equivalent (at best) to taking a 99 cent squeezie light and tying it around your neck. Won't LOOK nearly as cool of course! But the cheapie is easily attached to a keychain or purse of even non-flashaholics to provide 10-20 lumens as needed while taking up no weight or bulk. Cell Phones often have "flashlight" modes.

Flashaholics will carry an itp A3 or equivalent on their keychain which provides a huge amount of light (relatively speaking). I can't see that many wearing something around their neck.

I figure if someone IS gonna wear a flashlight around their neck, that they probably would go with the 38DD or Draco, etc which gives a lot more wow-factor. Make sure to get a solid gauge of user demand before proceeding too far with this one...especially since you already have a few other buns in the oven!
    Hi Joe,

Certainly appreciate the conscientious feedback.

I have taken the factors you mentioned into account during the concept creation.
    The "BIG" differentiator between the Core Ti and the lights you mentioned is that the Core Ti is jewelry first,
    with an embedded light second. I do believe the others to be designed as a flashlight first.

Some people just want to wear something that looks stylish and unobtrusive.
    There is no shortage of pure titanium "dog tags" that sell for much more than the Core Ti and seem to be doing reasonably well.

At approximately 5grams, its light, is something I could envision a supermodel wearing (in fact I had made some mockups on the neck of some female models but stopped short of posting those pics at the last minute as I didn't want to offend or bias the target of the Core Ti), and IMHO something I'd be as happy wearing as I would a pricier Cartier pendant, with the added benefit and surprise of there being a flashlight embedded in the 3mm~ body.

The "wow" factor in the Core Ti, is that its something small/thin enough to look as though it could be part of some circuit board, and the surprise is that it "produces" light, as opposed to the volume of light.

In light of many recent events around the world in the last year (earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, etc), I think that given a choice of a far more expensive designer pendant (perhaps larger too), that is indeed only a pendant and nothing more, versus a reasonably priced, pure titanium pendant (and priced more competitively than most other titanium jewelry pendants), enough people (who are not necessarily hard core flashaholics needing 1000 lumens or even aware that is possible) may like the Core Ti.

So far the non-flashaholics I've show the concept too have shown favor to the concept, but there is only one way to really find out, and that is to make it and try

1000 lumens is not a bad thing, I'm the first to raise my hand and admit I'm crazy like that, but even I prefer a small amount of light for some things.

Hope that makes sense,

tgwnn

Super Moderator

It's an interesting idea for a light. Precursors to the flat flashlight concept include the 1998 "Sinclair Flat Torch" (patent data here).
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    It's an interesting idea for a light. Precursors to the flat flashlight concept include the 1998 "Sinclair Flat Torch" (patent data here).
    Thanks DM , that's very appropriate material to study and reference.

Guy,
    I have to bow down to those in favor of stonewashed finsh. For two reasons. First the bead blasted is a very delicate finish that can be sratched and marred quite easily. I absolutely love bead blasted Titanium it is my favorite. Second is the a bead blasted finsih will actually get polished from wearing on the neck. It may take some time, but eventually you will have one shinny polished side(the one facing clothing/skin) and one bead blasted one.
    Updates & poll complete.
    GL

Switch
    A) Momentary On is fine

Finish
    B) beadblast
    C) stonewash
    D) other

Switch

A) Momentary On is fine
    C) Either is fine
    D) Both - Click for on/off, hold for momentary

Finish
    B) beadblast
    C) stonewash
    D) colored
    E) other
    F) combination

Just had to tweak these two answer options and hope you'll allow more than one choice to be selected per answer. I can't fill out the survey with the options as they stand now.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that DM, a nice snippet of history and actually Ian's current version of the flat light, whilst a little big for my liking, is still a very nice piece of work using a custom li-po.

Thanks DM , that's very appropriate material to study and reference.

Guy,
    I have to bow down to those in favor of stonewashed finsh. For two reasons. First the bead blasted is a very delicate finish that can be sratched and marred quite easily. I absolutely love bead blasted Titanium it is my favorite. Second is the a bead blasted finsih will actually get polished from wearing on the neck. It may take some time, but eventually you will have one shinny polished side(the one facing clothing/skin) and one bead blasted one.
    Updates & poll complete.
    GL
    Thanks GL,

Good point about the beadblast and in combination with kaichu's earlier posts, I do wonder if anyone wants it (but that is what the survey is for).
    One point worth mentioning is that the beadblast finish of the device I use to write these posts on, usually has my hands resting on it with some weight for hours on end, daily and not a sign of fading or polish (but I wouldn't want to scratch the thing).
    Not sure if its treated with anything but just saying.

Switch

A) Momentary On is fine
    C) Either is fine
    D) Both - Click for on/off, hold for momentary

Finish
    B) beadblast
    C) stonewash
    D) colored
    E) other
    F) combination

Just had to tweak these two answer options and hope you'll allow more than one choice to be selected per answer. I can't fill out the survey with the options as they stand now.
    Thanks Kaichu,
    I modified the form about 15-20 minutes after posting the link to separate the updates & survey (into separate forms),
    but cpf was very slow and I wasn't able to update the post for the first 45mins.

Switch
    C [either]
    was already added.
    D [click for on/off, push for momentary]
    happy to add that to the survey

It would still be a version 2 thing but if its doable, sure why not!

Finish
    B) beadblast
    C) stonewash
    D) colored
    E) other
    F) combination

Allowing more than one choice one makes sense to me if color is an option (but I need to check if it can be).

What do you have in mind by F) combination (beyond a color & finish) or would it be redundant if you can choose multiple?

tgwnn

A quick update to let you know the MBI Core Ti,

working proto V1 has arrived

Its somewhat a rough proof of concept, but looks nice.
    Titanium is almost weightless!!

A busy day/eve today but will post more details as soon as I can.

tgwnn

p.s. Kaichu, will be updating the surveys soon as I get a spare second too (need to make sure I dont break the existing data by changing the form).

A quick update to let you know the MBI Core Ti,

working proto V1 has arrived

Its somewhat a rough proof of concept, but looks nice.
    Titanium is almost weightless!!

A busy day/eve today but will post more details as soon as I can.

tgwnn

p.s. Kaichu, will be updating the surveys soon as I get a spare second too (need to make sure I dont break the existing data by changing the form).
    Just a thought, it might save some time and frustration to have a fill in the blank option?
    GL

Hi Joe,

Certainly appreciate the conscientious feedback.

I have taken the factors you mentioned into account during the concept creation.
    The "BIG" differentiator between the Core Ti and the lights you mentioned is that the Core Ti is jewelry first,
    with an embedded light second. I do believe the others to be designed as a flashlight first.

Some people just want to wear something that looks stylish and unobtrusive.
    There is no shortage of pure titanium "dog tags" that sell for much more than the Core Ti and seem to be doing reasonably well.

At approximately 5grams, its light, is something I could envision a supermodel wearing (in fact I had made some mockups on the neck of some female models but stopped short of posting those pics at the last minute as I didn't want to offend or bias the target of the Core Ti), and IMHO something I'd be as happy wearing as I would a pricier Cartier pendant, with the added benefit and surprise of there being a flashlight embedded in the 3mm~ body.

The "wow" factor in the Core Ti, is that its something small/thin enough to look as though it could be part of some circuit board, and the surprise is that it "produces" light, as opposed to the volume of light.

In light of many recent events around the world in the last year (earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, etc), I think that given a choice of a far more expensive designer pendant (perhaps larger too), that is indeed only a pendant and nothing more, versus a reasonably priced, pure titanium pendant (and priced more competitively than most other titanium jewelry pendants), enough people (who are not necessarily hard core flashaholics needing 1000 lumens or even aware that is possible) may like the Core Ti.

So far the non-flashaholics I've show the concept too have shown favor to the concept, but there is only one way to really find out, and that is to make it and try

1000 lumens is not a bad thing, I'm the first to raise my hand and admit I'm crazy like that, but even I prefer a small amount of light for some things.

Hope that makes sense,

tgwnn
    Basically, I want to +1 this. I am a flashaholic, and a lumenophile (love me some BRIGHT LIGHTS!), but I also want a light to wear around my neck at all times. I have worn my Draco and my Lummi Wee, and a fauxton, and now my Photon Rex... and the main thing is that I want something very small and very light that also looks sort of nice. I am thinking of this as basically a fauxton--but one that is beautiful, durable, and stylish. So that's why I'm going to get this. As I've said, my TiFli is gorgeous but it's still a little chunky and the round shape means that it can dig into my chest/neck in the worst way at times (like doing pushups, of if my kids jump on my back).

My wish list for this light's future version:
    -Waterproof
    -Rechargeable
    -Lock on switch capability

The idea of using a Nano battery is brilliant...
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Ešrendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Just a thought, it might save some time and frustration to have a fill in the blank option?
    GL
    Yes, a good idea, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by applevision View Post
    Basically, I want to +1 this. I am a flashaholic, and a lumenophile (love me some BRIGHT LIGHTS!), but I also want a light to wear around my neck at all times. I have worn my Draco and my Lummi Wee, and a fauxton, and now my Photon Rex... and the main thing is that I want something very small and very light that also looks sort of nice. I am thinking of this as basically a fauxton--but one that is beautiful, durable, and stylish. So that's why I'm going to get this. As I've said, my TiFli is gorgeous but it's still a little chunky and the round shape means that it can dig into my chest/neck in the worst way at times (like doing pushups, of if my kids jump on my back).

My wish list for this light's future version:
    -Waterproof
    -Rechargeable
    -Lock on switch capability

The idea of using a Nano battery is brilliant...
    Thanks applevision.

A quick update...

I received some prototypes of the Core Ti today.
    A good start but I still feel they need some work, revision.

Current lumen output look to be <1lumen at most, though thats just the choice of crappy led for now, as we are focused on the body at this stage.
    Of course, I couldn't help myself so I filed down a brighter 5mm and stuck it in one of the proto's and its immediately brighter.
    Still seems much less brighter than the high mode on my inova micro (photon type of thing).

I hotwired the CR1616 to an XPE Q5 and I think that beats out the Inova.
    The XPE is tiny enough that it might just fit into the current size.

In a dark room, the current proto version led is ok, but with some ambient light, its only useful for close range.
    Not to worried about that as its easy enough to boost the lumens, suggestions welcomed of course.

Im also contemplating doing some test anodizing on one, in the name of science, but at the same time,
    its kind of a momentus occasion for me personally with these first protos, so not sure I want to accidentally butcher any of them in the process, but more than anything, having enough time to take a shot at the anodizing will be the deciding factor.
    (if I sound like Im going a little crazy, I am )

Internals are currently fairly simple (a little too simple), but its just the proto so that will be handled too.

Will post some photo's and more details at latest over the weekend (and possibly send out a mail update too).

In case you haven't been following the Torpedo,
    I just posted this comparison photo there a short while ago,
    the Core Ti is way over on the right...

Left to right:
    HID Palight, Olight M30, Solarforce L2M, Lumapower Mini VX, XENO E03, JetBeam BC10, MBI Torpedo [proto]
    Lummi Raw, AAA Battery, Lummi Wee, MBI Core Ti [proto]

Thanks for the all feedback and advice,
    tgwnn

I just started reading this thread after following on the torpedo for so long.

Do you think it would be possible to have a hold for momentary and quick click for on/off?

I was thinking that, since this is a nice piece of jewelery, there should be a way to insert our favorite gem/semi-precious stone on the back Of course, the problem with that is that unless this is done from the factory (which would be expensive for everyone) it would have to be a somewhat standard size insert, which would make the finding and the purchase of said stone a little more complicated (but not for those who have access to the proper equipment ) This could definitely add a lot to the finished product and give the user a very personnalised look.
    Cataract, Shiny things specialist.
    Google Map for CPF

Quote Originally Posted by Cataract View Post
    I just started reading this thread after following on the torpedo for so long.

Do you think it would be possible to have a hold for momentary and quick click for on/off?

I was thinking that, since this is a nice piece of jewelery, there should be a way to insert our favorite gem/semi-precious stone on the back Of course, the problem with that is that unless this is done from the factory (which would be expensive for everyone) it would have to be a somewhat standard size insert, which would make the finding and the purchase of said stone a little more complicated (but not for those who have access to the proper equipment ) This could definitely add a lot to the finished product and give the user a very personnalised look.
    Hi again

regarding click & momentary:
    kaichu_dento has suggested that, and it makes sense, just not sure if I can get that done in version 1.

inserting a stone:
    there is always a way....

actually my wife asked if she could design a sparkly version (with some swarovsky's or similar) earlier this evening.

In the current proto's the body casing is only 0.3mm Ti.
    We are going to push it to 0.4mm to make it a touch more robust as I think its a little too thin at present.

The button at present requires only a small amount of movement (travel) to be activated as there just isn't much room to spare in terms of width, but I have found a decent SMD switch under 0.4mm thin, that might work but I'm not sure it can do momentary & click.

tgwnn

Hi again
    [...]
    inserting a stone:
    there is always a way....

[...]
    tgwnn
    I'm sure I'll find one if I have to
    Cataract, Shiny things specialist.
    Google Map for CPF

regarding click & momentary:
    kaichu_dento has suggested that, and it makes sense, just not sure if I can get that done in version 1.

The button at present requires only a small amount of movement (travel) to be activated as there just isn't much room to spare in terms of width, but I have found a decent SMD switch under 0.4mm thin, that might work but I'm not sure it can do momentary & click.
    If you have an HDS Clicky setup with momentary activation, that's exactly what a lot of us are used to.

Going back to the appearance, I think it would be able to be designed specifically with aesthetics in mind if the button was done away with and the top just flexed a little. Not only cleaner in appearance, but less expensive to make, less pieces to assemble, less access for water and dust to get in.

If you have an HDS Clicky setup with momentary activation, that's exactly what a lot of us are used to.

Going back to the appearance, I think it would be able to be designed specifically with aesthetics in mind if the button was done away with and the top just flexed a little. Not only cleaner in appearance, but less expensive to make, less pieces to assemble, less access for water and dust to get in.
    Thanks Kaichu,

Understand the forward clicky concept like the HDS.
    I have managed to find a fairly low profile 2 position switch, though its 0.9mm, so depending on final adjustments, that may add 0.5mm to the total thickness (not really noticeable) on V2.

Actually because the current proto is so thin, I can turn the light on by pressing the area between the (above the) button and the hole.

tgwnn

+1 for pics of Ti on girls.....

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast