Cub/Boy Scouts?

pahl

Enlightened
My son just joined the cub scouts. We had our first meeting last night.

He had a lot of fun and we are looking forward to the events that are coming up.

Such as the food drive, turtle races, pine wood derby races, scout O rama and many more.

Tonight we will start selling pop corn door to door to raise money for the scouts.

I was in scouts for awhile years ago and I have some great memories of the camping trips we took.

Do you have kids in the scouts?

zorba

Enlightened
I dont have a kid in Scouts, but used to be a Scout Leader up until six months ago. I also had my wood badge awarded this summer.
BE PREPARED- ESO ETIMOS (thats be prepared in greek)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any kids yet, but I'm sure I'll get them involved in the Scouts. It's a great way for getting them acquainted with the great outdoors, and also for them to develope good character and morals. I was in the scouts a long time ago, and still have many fond memories of the camping trips. I sure wish I had an M6 back then! hehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

zorba

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ttran97 said:
It's a great way for getting them acquainted with the great outdoors, and also for them to develope good character and morals.

[/ QUOTE ]
They also get to use their flashlights alot and that cant be bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
Aragorn, i didn't know you were an Eagle Scout. Well done!

My son is in Webelos and I'm the den leader and also the cubmaster. This is our first year. Our first meeting is in an hour! Wish us well.

Bill.H

Enlightened
Good old days! I still have and use my scout knife and axe.
I wish I had my original CS and BS folders, they're hot collectibles now.

Anybody else remember being 11 and scared to death of the mysterious "initiation"? How about snipe hunts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the snipe hunts. They never could talk me into going for red lantern oil. Of course most of you probably never saw a lantern that burned oil (kerosene). When I was an explorer scout we had a nifty Coleman lantern that burned white gas. I suppose that's been replaced with propane.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was in the Boy Scouts for awhile. We had our meetings in a church basement on Douglas Island, and I remember one of the week-long campouts we had. But that was a long, long time ago, so I don't have the BSA book anymore, nor do I remember what troop number we were, where my uniform went, or what merit badges I got.

I wasn't in Webelos or Cubs though, so I never got to go on a snipe hunt or look for red lantern oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was an adult assistant in my sons troop. I went on all the camp outs.
Back in the early 80's, I was the first to bring a Mini-Mag to an overnight camp. One month later, everyone who saw mine, had a Mag with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
From cub scouts to boy scouts to explorers got my eagle with 1 bronze palm have been a district commissioner, assistant scoutmaster,cubmaster,and I had two daughters. No boys to go through the ranks with. I look at the scouts as a loan you can never pay off but volunteering pays the interest for the next generation. I still have my knife but not my flashlight.

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
2dogs said:
Aragorn, i didn't know you were an Eagle Scout. Well done!

My son is in Webelos and I'm the den leader and also the cubmaster. This is our first year. Our first meeting is in an hour! Wish us well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know how it goes.
I hope it goes well for you.

Aragorn: Eagle Scout, that's great!

cmendoza

Enlightened
I was never in scouts as a kid but my wife and I are doing Cubs, putting on Pack Meetings once a month. Our oldest just moved on to Boy Scouts; we're hoping he'll follow Aragorn!

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have some very fond memories from scouting.
I started out as a Bobcat in the Cub Scouts. Ended as a Silver Palm Eagle. I still have my uniform shirt and sash.
I was a USAF brat and went all over the world. I got to go camping in Bavaria, Netherlands, Denmark, England, Philippines, Okinawa, Japan, Taiwan, Canada, Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, and a whole lotta other states in the USA.
The one thing I value most from being a scout is being to take care of myself in just about any situation.
Yes, I can rub two sticks together and make a fire. Its just easier if one of the sticks is a match.
However, I still carry this everyday:
fae04496.jpg

I have had this thing for over 35yrs. I dont even remember where I got it.
We dont have any kids, but I HIGHLY recommend scouting for all boys and girls.
I usually buy the popcorn and give it back to the scout...

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Yes I made Eagle too.
I won my first bet in Scouts, it was about starting a fire from friction.
I did it and collected from the Scoutmaster who tried for an hour and couldn't get it to work.
I even used the same supplies he did.
The only time I saw him more upset was when I shot trap for the first time and cleaned his clock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
Pahl, it went great! We're off to rolling start and picking up speed. I salute all of the CPF Eagle Scouts.

pahl

Enlightened
2dogs, Glad to hear it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
How many are in your den?

AlphaTea,
Wow, sounds like you had a great time seeing the world.
What is that on your keyring?

Just got back from selling pop corn and the first night went great, way better then I thought it would.

Who can say no to a cute little cub scout /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
BSA is one of the best things I've participated in. Learned much on the path to Eagle. Just wish I still had the time to be in Scouts. Maybe I will some day. It is amazing how much boys can do with fire in the woods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:
AlphaTea,
...What is that on your keyring?

[/ QUOTE ]

fae04496.jpg

This is an official BSA fire starter! Basically a flint (I think). Take a knife, or other metal object and scrape against it to make a BUNCH of sparks. It is ~2.5 inches long. Yes, it still works.