Mini Review of the Sunwayman R20A

AaronG

Enlightened
So I received my R20A in the mail the other day and I wanted to share my thoughts.

I won this light in the market place intro thread. If you haven't checked out Sunwayman's MP subforum you really should! All there new lights are intro'd there and there's a give-away for every new model. :thumbsup: busy

Since I'm to lazy...I mean busy... to take pictures here's a link to Sunwayman's MP intro to the light
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?255096-SUNWAYMAN-R20A-R5-Elegant-Lighting-Tool

Features

● CREE R5 LED, with a lifetime of up to
50,000 hours;
● Three levels of constant output, one police strobe mode
(below is the output and runtime of using two 2600mAH Ni-MH batteries)

Three levels of constant output: 180 Lumens (2hrs)- 37 Lumens (50 hrs)- 4 Lumens
(200 hrs)
Police Strobe mode: 180 Lumens
● Reverse Tail Cap Switch,
fully depress the switch to turn on the light, and depress it halfway for
different outputs
● Constant current circuit, constant output
● Uses two
1.5V AA (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium) batteries
● Electronic reverse battery
protection, no need to worry about battery reversal, effectively protect
flashlight
● High quality reflector maintains great throw distance and spread
with an ideal beam pattern
● Dimension: 147mm (length) x 24mm (head
diameter)
● Weight: 57g(battery excluded)
● Aerospace-grade aluminum
alloy
● Military Specification Type III- hard anodized body
● Waterproof,
in accordance with IPX-8 standard
● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists
scratches and impacts
● Included Accessories: O-ring, rubber cap, lanyard,
holster

One of the biggest surprises to me was the price point :drool: I didn't pay for mine but I checked Battery Junction and I was suprised to see it priced closer to the budget lights (well maybe not budget...) The price is closer to the 4sevens Mini and Fenix E series lights.

The features on this light would place it in the next category up in my mind. Premium emitter, lens, Type 3 HA, IPX-8, Multi mode, and reverse clicky seem like a bargain.

Packaging and Accessories:

The light came in the typical cardboard box and plastic insert. I'm glad to see Sunwayman stay away from the blisterpack packaging (ehem....Fenix..) That way I can play with lights before giving them to others.

For accessories you get a pretty nice lanyard with a clip and adjustment bead, a nylon holster, large o-ring for the head and two small o-rings for the tail. You also get a replacement rubber boot for the tail switch.

I like that it comes with o-rings and a replacement boot because to me these extras mean that a company believes their product will last long enough to need them ;)

Operation:

The beam pattern and tint is comparable to other lights of this type. Cool white XPG with light OP reflector. The LOP reflector gets rid of the doughnut hole to leave just a very faint darker spot. (only white wall hunters will notice it ;) )

The UI is very simple. Press the reverse clicky for on. Then quick half presses to cycle through the modes.
Low-Medium-High-Low-Medium-High-strobe.

*Note* The strobe is not one I've seen before. It has a series of quick flashes and then a pause. The series of flashes seems to vary in duration before the pause. I'm sure there is some sort of "tactical" explanation for this, but regardless it would probably be useful if you needed to draw attention to yourself (accident etc..)

Every once in a while I do seem to skip a mode. I think the UI could use a slight timing tweak. Mode changing only happens with quick half presses and not with full presses. Personally I think it would work a little better if it switched with quick full presses and slightly slower half presses. This is a very minor grip and is still very functional.

Physical Form:

Sunwayman's design philosophy for this light is elegant design and graceful lines. I think that sounds about right. The smooth steel bezel is a nice touch and it's another reason why I think this light seems like it's worth more than it's price tag.

The design of the light is hard to describe. It's a smooth EDC light with some tactical light features. It has a flush mount reverse clicky and half of a metal grip ring. Yes half a grip ring! There are only two out of the four edges. The grip ring adds something to grab on to, as the light is otherwise quite slick. It also adds an anti roll feature and lanyard attachment point.

The flush clicky prevents tailstanding and, if pushed hard enough against a flat surface, it will turn on. The clicky seems to have a long enough travel and enough tension that I don't think accidental actuation will be much of a problem.

The head is integrated into the light so this is a good candidate for those who hate bezel loose UI's. The shape of the light is my favorite feature. It seems like every manufacturer is out to make something more and more outlandish to standout in a crowd. It's a refreshing change to see something smooth and well thought out. I would like to see a removable grip ring, as grip rings aren't really my thing.

Overall if I could have my way I would want the same light with a knurled, or otherwise textured body, no grip ring and tail stand ability. I'm sure this last sentence has a design engineer at Sunwayman pulling his hair out because everything they tried to do different I just crapped on. Sorry guys I couldn't help it ;) Although I'm not crazy about these features there are plenty of guys out there that are. So for no other reason I applaude Sunwayman for making a light for everybody.

One more small suggestion to Sunwayman is that less is more when it comes to printed text on a light. I would remove the website and the word elegance from the light. A quick google search will find the site and the light speaks for itself without a description ;)

Conclusion:

The R20A seems like a well thought out and solid light :D I couldn't see any tint shift or flicker between modes so I'm guessing high frequency PWM :) Overall build is excellent with features I would expect from a premium light. If your looking for something a little different in the 2 AA category this is a good option.

Last edited:

sveqs

Newly Enlightened
Hi AaronG,
I am in the market for 2xAA lights, more throwy than floody, and at this price point it's hard to neglect this light
However you seem to be the only person who's ever handled one :)))
can you help me out with some throw data/estimates?
with the LOP reflector and the XPG I don't expect it to throw very far but perhaps you can still give me some useful info/comparisons/measurements?
thanks,
-Greg