Streamlight Scorpion X Tailcap Issues

Raminator

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
My apologies if this is a repost. I did a search, and the only post I could seem to find was from 2006, but it didn't quite answer my question. So here it goes:

I have a Streamlight Scorpion X that I bought a few months ago. I haven't had a lot of use with this light since my Maglite XL200 arrived a week afterward. But I have had some EDC carry as well as stuffing it into my gear bag and such for shooting and hiking.

This evening, I noticed a couple of cracks in the rubberized boot, where the tailcap is located. Everytime I depress the tailcap, the cracks widen, and then shrink when I relieve pressure. I've already sent an email to Streamlight inquiring about repair and warranty, but in the meantime I'd like to know if there is a viable option to get around this obvious weakness in the Scorpion X. Anybody cut off the end and found a way to water proof the tailcap, or perhaps used electrical tape, or found another cap to replace the OEM one?

Any answers are appreciated.

Thank you!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old Xenon Scorpion that is covered in a rubber boot. I've used it for years without problems. Streamlight has an excellent customer service department. You can take your light to any customer service location and they will fix it for free. You can also mail it to the factory. Check here: http://www.streamlight.com/faq/

Raminator

Newly Enlightened
I've sent mail to the factory. I did some snooping and was able to locate boot replacements for really cheap. Since I really like the Scorpion, and this rubber armor seems to be a weakness in the light, I figured I'd snap up a few spares just in case. Of course, if Streamlight will do the work for free, I'll be all over that as well.