EDC/Hunting light? Newbie questions.

Jason_G

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone.

First real post here. I've been lurking and searching the forum for some answers, but so much has changed since the last time I looked at LED lights, that I am utterly confused. I've been trying to look for info, and the more I look, the more confused I get, because some of the older posts are (obviously) about older LED technology, so it's tough to sort out what's what.

I have a Streamlight Night Fighter TL-2 Xenon light that I like a lot, except for the run times. I've had the light a long time, and when I got it, LEDs didn't seem to have much going for them other than run time. They lacked throw, the lights weren't that bright, and the tint was awful. Seems like things have taken a 180 degree turn since then in the land of LEDs, so I figure I might as well give them a try.

Here's what I think I am looking for advice on:
I want a bright LED emitter with a good balance of throw and flood, with decent run times, in a neutral tint, that will run on either disposables or rechargeables. A low/med/high, or at least a low/high would be nice.
Would also like to have a host that is similar in size to my TL-2 (although a little bigger wouldn't bother me), that has a momentary on tailcap, and a clip (bezel down, preferably).

The uses will be for EDC; "bumps in the night", in conjunction with a handgun; going to and from the deer stand before/after dark; looking for blood in the dark (wounded game); and finding catfish yo-yo's and jugs on the lake after dark.

Can anyone help me out with advice on this?

Like I said, there's so much info here, it's tough to sort out what would be best for my needs.

TIA,
Jason

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
Jason_G said:
Hey everyone.

First real post here. I've been lurking and searching the forum for some answers, but so much has changed since the last time I looked at LED lights, that I am utterly confused. I've been trying to look for info, and the more I look, the more confused I get, because some of the older posts are (obviously) about older LED technology, so it's tough to sort out what's what.

I have a Streamlight Night Fighter TL-2 Xenon light that I like a lot, except for the run times. I've had the light a long time, and when I got it, LEDs didn't seem to have much going for them other than run time. They lacked throw, the lights weren't that bright, and the tint was awful. Seems like things have taken a 180 degree turn since then in the land of LEDs, so I figure I might as well give them a try.

Here's what I think I am looking for advice on:
I want a bright LED emitter with a good balance of throw and flood, with decent run times, in a neutral tint, that will run on either disposables or rechargeables. A low/med/high, or at least a low/high would be nice.
Would also like to have a host that is similar in size to my TL-2 (although a little bigger wouldn't bother me), that has a momentary on tailcap, and a clip (bezel down, preferably).

The uses will be for EDC; "bumps in the night", in conjunction with a handgun; going to and from the deer stand before/after dark; looking for blood in the dark (wounded game); and finding catfish yo-yo's and jugs on the lake after dark.

Can anyone help me out with advice on this?

Like I said, there's so much info here, it's tough to sort out what would be best for my needs.

TIA,
Jason

Well this is something I have spent a lot of years doing. I think if your going to be remote I would pick a AA flashlight. You can get them anywhere, and in a pinch another hunter will probably be able to help. But my current favorite for the task is a quark x (neutral) 123 2, here is a link to the web site for the tactical quark.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_402

This would meet your goals, along with dozens of other lights. Don't forget if your out at night a flashlight at camp left on beacon mode will help bring you back home. Mine is a quark mini 123, and it always gets left on when I leave my tent. And being on the water, water resistant is a big plus.

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Can't go wrong with a Sunwayman V10R Ti

210 - 1 Lumen via Variable Control Ring.

One VERY nice light. Definitely wont be disappointed.

fockus

Newly Enlightened
For a great balance of throw & flood, Shiningbeam's S-mini (1 x 18650 battery) with optional pocket clip is impressive in size (very EDC-able), performance, and price. Or you could get a SolarForce host & a P60/D26 drop-in or pre-combined, all-in-one for $30-50.

Jason_G

Newly Enlightened
I think if your going to be remote I would pick a AA flashlight. You can get them anywhere, and in a pinch another hunter will probably be able to help.

That is a good idea, but I always carry a small backpack with (at minimum) a first aid kit and extra batteries, so I'm not overly concerned about battery type being common, as long as I can have fresh spares handy. My current "do all" light is CR123 x 2. Rechargeable would be great to have. Batteries get expensive, especially with a short run time xenon light.

I'm looking at some of the suggestions y'all made right now. Thanks a million.

Jason