Proper install of window in Malkof MD2 head? And how water resistant is it?

purelite

Enlightened
I have done a few searches on here using different wording and I cant find a single thread on the proper way to install a window kit in the Malkoff Md2 style heads. I am assuming I have it right but who knows? There is no instructional or tip thread I can find.

Here is how I did it

I drop the flat gasket into the Md2 head
I drop the window in there on top of the gasket and look in there ad try to get everything balanced so to speak
I drop my malkoff dropin in there and hope things stay aligned and balanced. I put my brass ring on and try and screw it down with miinimal movement of the drop in though things seem to be moving around in there until the ring is tight and snug. during the process I try to turn the head over while putting pressure on the led modules rear spring so i can look to see if things have shifted and there is a gap or something. It all looks ok but I am afraid to test it.
I cant tell but is there some sort of self aligning system in there I am not aware of that gets everything straightened out as the retaining ring is titened down? Or is it a crap shoot?
Is there any easier way to do this? Its kind of a PITA as dropping the window in there you basically let it go and hope for the best and if you have the window as clean as yu can get it it ends up getting contaminated by the oring or whatever when dropped and you cant control which side ends up facing out.

Has anyone tested the water resistance of this setup? Running under tap or submerged in a bucket or anything?

Loving my 2x18650 M61L setup just wondering if there is info on these details to make sure I get the most from the host. :)

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always place the lens into the opening of the up facing drop in then drop the gasket over the lens and then lastly place the bezel over the still upward facing drop in. I then turn the whole thing over and then screw the retaining ring down onto the drop in - easy!

James...

purelite

Enlightened
Interesting way to do it jimmy1970. I'll have to try that. Its kinda like the reverse of what I have done

I could say the same about you Pjandyho. Just enjoy your McGizmos being unpotted and dont worry about it :). Whats the reasons for getting the HDS lights? worried about something happening to your light source? :)

I found it interesting that with all the meticulous examination of every light in existance here on CPF that there doesnt seem to be any discussion of the water tightness of the MD2 system or of the consistant placement installation of the window kits. With a Surefire style host you have a seperate "channel" in which the window is placed and the dropin of your choice doesnt touch it.

I realize the Malkoff host is one of the toughest out there but hasnt it ever been a concern to anyone while dropping all the componenets into the MD2 head that you might have things just a bit off and while out hiking or whatever you encounter water , a very abundant common substance in the world and a well known age old enemy of electronic devices.
Not putting Malkoff down here just wondering if there has been any testing/info posted here about the subject. Seems like there hasnt been any yet.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have HDS lights way before I got into McGizmo. Not that HDS has proven itself to be inferior, but rather McGizmo's bling has caught my attention. :)

purelite

Enlightened
I was just referring to your recent thread about the durability of Mcgizmos being unpotted and other owners experience so far with the reliability of them due to this . It was just a playful dig at some hyprocrisy. :)

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tested the water resistance of this setup? Running under tap or submerged in a bucket or anything?
Tested it with my md-2 and md-4. Under the tap and dunked in a bucket. No problems at all. I use the old optic dropins so i don't use any glass lense to block my lumens :)

purelite

Enlightened
Thanx for the input Jorn :)

I am wondering specifically on the newer M61 series which require a window and gasket

I tell ya though, I would really like an M61 with an optic like your M60 and be able to eliminate the window also. For me the not as perfect beam of the optic would be an acceptable compromise to being able to nix the window. I wonder how Malkoff got those optiqs water tite sealed on the M60s?

Has anyone removed the reflector on an M61 and replaced it with an optic?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just referring to your recent thread about the durability of Mcgizmos being unpotted and other owners experience so far with the reliability of them due to this . It was just a playful dig at some hyprocrisy. :)
I know and I am not offended. I had a laugh at myself too.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always place the lens into the opening of the up facing drop in then drop the gasket over the lens and then lastly place the bezel over the still upward facing drop in. I then turn the whole thing over and then screw the retaining ring down onto the drop in - easy!

James...

That's how I do it too. So that there's no chance of misalignment.

hotlight

Enlightened
I use the jimmy method myself... no issues

As far as testing:
I've put my old style(2 piece) MD2/M61 in a 5gal bucket full of water while turned on high for half hour with no leaks/issues.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Ya they get pretty tight in there as long as you screw them down enough. Also be careful when you remove the M61/91 etcs. A few times I have pulled out my module, then been fussing around here or there and check my MD2 head and there is no lens in there. I always find it stuck to the module. One time it fell off onto the carpet without me noticing. That was a hassle to find it. That reverse upside down method seems like a good idea. I usually just drop it in and then use my finger and put it on the lens, and then move the MD2 head around to line it up. Once its centered I drop the module down in there. When screwing it in I find it easiest to place it on my couch say, hold the tweezers in place, and twist the entire head with my hand. That allows it to stay as flat as possible.

As a sidenote I just got a Moddoo L1n tonight and squeezed her into my MD3. The user I got it from had dremeled down a ring and it barely fits. But it works.