Zebralight 501 w only runs on AA alks?!?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ZL 501 w is here. Thanks to the good folks at ZL! they even refunded an overpayment on my part.:thumbsup:

the light is smaller than I expected and that's fine.
The only problem is when I inserted an UF 14500 cell, nothing! then a NiMH Nothing. Of course I tried other cells and tested them in other lights like my WE Angel A

even after confirming the cells were charged, still nothing works except the alk AA primary what's up??????:confused:

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Not to sound like a wise-***, but make sure the tailcap is good and tight. I had the same issue with mine. If that doesn't work, i dont know! Good luck

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to sound like a wise-***, but make sure the tailcap is good and tight. I had the same issue with mine. If that doesn't work, i dont know! Good luck
I thought I did, I tried it again nope. it works great on an Alk but I bought it to run on 14500

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your rechargeable batteries sound like the problem. What is their voltage?
Mine run on NiMH exclusivly.
G27
battery tester indicated fully charged
not sure what the prob is. I am VERY hesitant to believe there is a defect because of the high regard I have for ZL yet by all apparent indications something is amiss. !!update: Yes, there was an issue, the NiMH was dead. Now all is well on NiMH.

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
My 501 doesn't fit 14500's unless I really squeeze it in there (cheap, long 14500s... possibly 14550's) so I run NiMH's instead.
Can you put a cell in there, connect the battery to the body and press the switch... anything?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, After again replacing the NiMH cells its now ON and what I though was a great light just got better. Hope to get the 14500 to work next.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Yes I did get the cell inside it was tight. tailcap was tight and secure. I was able to press switch. still have not been able to get any of my UF 14500 cells to work. I really like the way it works on NiMH.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tester I used was a freenie (cheap) included with a 24 pack of AA cells

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ZL 501 is not designed for 14500.
it actually is less bright with it.

when i first got my 501w, i tried an AW14500. fit was tight, and tailcap didnt screw on easily. that could possibly be the reason for it not working.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
+1
I keep meaning to reply to these threads where I see people using 14500's....
Not sure why they don't say it explicitly on their site, but zebralight has stated that it's optimized for eneloops, not 14500s

the ZL 501 is not designed for 14500.
it actually is less bright with it.

when i first got my 501w, i tried an AW14500. fit was tight, and tailcap didnt screw on easily. that could possibly be the reason for it not working.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most new Zebra models don't support 14500's, but this is from the description for the H501W on Zebra's website:

Battery: One AA size alkaline, 1.5v lithium primary, NiMH rechargeable, or 3.7v 14500 Li-ion rechargeable. Reverse polarity protection.
See it here

Sounds like you have a battery problem; Could be a size problem or just a bad battery.

PerttiK

Enlightened
I just tried mine with AW 14500 and trustfire 14500.
Both batteries are too long, tailcap doesn't screw in enough to make connection with body.
With paperclip both batteries work.
Eneloop works fine.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried mine with AW 14500 and trustfire 14500.
Both batteries are too long, tailcap doesn't screw in enough to make connection with body.
With paperclip both batteries work.Eneloop works fine.

thanks. It runs so well on NiMH I now know I don't need a 14500. Very pleased with the 501w. I am definitely gonna be adding another ZL (18650) to my collection soon!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your rechargeable batteries sound like the problem. What is their voltage?
Mine run on NiMH exclusivly.G27
Thanks, you are 100% correct. That was the problem. All's well now.