Considering my first CR123 powered light with these requirements...

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a single CR123 powered EDC light that is as small as possible, pocket clip preferred, with a low of 1.5 lumens and 3 modes starting out with low>med>high. I DO NOT want a light powered by RCR123's.

It looks like the Quark MiniX fits the bill for me except not having a pocket clip. I like the titanium version, but not sure why it's rated lower on the output.

Anyone have any more suggestions? I'm completely in the dark (pun intended) on 123 lights as I've never owned one before. My current EDC is the Preon 2 titanium for the last year. I use it daily and like it, except it's too long clipped to my pants pocket. Thought I might delve into the 123 version for the first time after all these years.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
peak logan QTC. doesnt come with pocket clip though. oveready does sell a clip for it i think. and its very nice.
its not 3 mode either, but infinite variable brightness.

olight i1 might be what you're lookin for. 3 modes, screwed on pocket clip. uses and XM-L
if u dont like XM-L the ITP A1 is older, and similar.

you might also want to check out the Zebralight SC31. not a twisty. but a side clicky. very compact as well.

Last edited:

dheim

Newly Enlightened
i strongly despise twisties and - except for a keyring fenix E05 - i don't own any.
BUT, if you can live with a tail clicky, a Sunwayman series V10R can suit your needs brightly (no pun intended... :)). the output can be regulated with an analogue ring (for the twisty part...) from 0.1 lumen (their website states 1, but it's really barely visible) to 210. if you don't like analogue control there are (cheaper) versions with fixed light levels.
i've got an aluminium and a titanium version and i love both!

dheim

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the V10R, wondering if you have any problems with it coming on when you don't want it to?

no, the on/off button is a very solid tail clicky, that's impossible to activate randomly... the ring is an output selector, and - even if action is oily smooth, it stays where you put it.

AutoTech

Enlightened
I was going to suggest v10r but you said small, it's not exactly large but it's bigger than average for a single cr123 I'd say.

If it's small you need then I don't think they come much smaller than the ITP mentioned above.

Otherwise, get the V10R it's all you'll ever need in a light.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys! I realized last night before I fell asleep, that the absence of a pocket clip can be worked around by using a P7 suspension clip instead. I really don't like twistys at all either, but wanted something that isn't going to be accidentally turned on when in my pocket. That's the issue I'm having now with my Preon- I have to just twist the head to lock out the light from coming on. So I would be open to a tail clicky switch if it is recessed enough to prevent accidental activation.

The three modes or continuosly variable is a must, though and it needs to start on low every time I turn it on.

Keep the ideas coming and when I get home from work tonight I'll research all suggestions- only have internet access through phone during the day.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Forget what I said about the v10r being bigger than average!

I just measured it against my klarus p1c and it's notably smaller.

V10R it is then!

Tiggercat

Enlightened
For smallest size, if you can live with a 5 lumen low, I have to second the EagleTac D25C - it's a fantastic light with a great clip, a cool holster, and can be operated with one hand. If 5 lumens is too high, the V10R will be a winner for you. I have two, and they are my favorites.

gigapascal

Newly Enlightened
I have the quark minix and while it's the smallest CR123 I've got I can't stand the twisty interface and personally the keyring loop cutout on the tail disturbs the feel of it in my hand. Which is not to say that I'm unhappy with it. I use it when any other light would be too big such as suit pocket. My first choice as a primary EDC would be Zebralight SC31. Comfortable side clicky UI with the ability to go straight into low or high without cycling through the other modes. I also like the Nitecore EX11. It has the same ability to go straight into high or low as well as a variable brightness that lets you ramp up or down to suit whatever you need at the time. The 'piston drive' tail clicky takes a little getting used to but it grew on me after using the light for a few days.

bltkmt

Enlightened
  1. Fenix E15 - very small twisty that seems very solidly built...almost Nautilus-like.
  2. Above-mentioned Zebralight SC31. Also very small, and with side-clicky benefit.
  3. V10R - amazing light, but noticably bigger than both of the above.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
skyfire said:
peak logan QTC. doesnt come with pocket clip though. oveready does sell a clip for it i think. and its very nice.
its not 3 mode either, but infinite variable brightness.

olight i1 might be what you're lookin for. 3 modes, screwed on pocket clip. uses and XM-L
if u dont like XM-L the ITP A1 is older, and similar.

you might also want to check out the Zebralight SC31. not a twisty. but a side clicky. very compact as well.

+ one one the sc31 from zebralight. Also the quark regular r5 has a clip and a click button un like the mini with a twist head. The clip is not remove able on the r5 edition though.

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
I, too, am very happy with my SC31. Very easy lock out by twisting the tail cap a bit.

-jk

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I've spent the last hour and a half researching and have settled on the V10R. That is one sweet light. I like the fact I can just set the ring and know what brightness the light will come on the next time I turn it on. I also like the fact I can turn the ring all the way to low BEFORE turning on the light and know it will be a moonlight mode. Momentary forward clicky is a plus, too.

It's a little longer than I was wanting, but has all the other features I want/need, and we all know there is no "perfect" light- but this one seems really close. It's a 1/4 inch shorter than the Nitecore D10 I carried as my EDC (just prior to the Preon 2) for almost 2 years, but wasn't happy with trying to stop the ramping at just the right brightness.

My next question: Where to buy for best price/service? I see it at Battery Junction and Lighthound and will use the CPF coupon code, but are there any other places I'm forgetting?

Almost forgot to mention- I was hoping selfbuilt had done a review for the V10R, but I couldn't find one. :(

Last edited:

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Goinggear.com carries the V10R + has a coupon code and free shipping.. If your looking for a EDC that size, check out the Eagletac D25LC2, way more output than the Sunwaydude V10R and a 3 lumen low is plenty low enough, it wows everyone that shines it though the field near my office with a Max Output of 493 LED lumen, 343 ANSI OTF lumen. Serious Stuff..

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goinggear.com carries the V10R + has a coupon code and free shipping.. If your looking for a EDC that size, check out the Eagletac D25LC2, way more output than the Sunwaydude V10R and a 3 lumen low is plenty low enough, it wows everyone that shines it though the field near my office with a Max Output of 493 LED lumen, 343 ANSI OTF lumen. Serious Stuff..

Goinggear V10R is backordered. Checked out the Eagletac single 123 light and it's nice, but not what I was looking for and the 2-123 light is definitely not what I'm looking for since it's WAY too long. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :thumbsup:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Why no mention of HDS on here yet? I think they have a 99 dollar 120 tactical version that you can program to do whatever you like with. I have a rotary and it is phenomenal. Its also 200 dollars though. I didnt know if you had a budget set. The HDS Rotary is like the V10r except, well in my opinion far superior in just about every aspect. However it does not have a clip. The clip on the V10r doesn't look good to me though. Looks like it could fairly easily pull right off of the body.

People have rigged the Rotarys up with various setups however. Also I have read a review on the V10r and its battery performance isn't great. I think even at the lowest setting it only gets about 3 days or so of run time. Very inefficient at lower levels. Have you looked at HDS lights at all? I mean, as far as single CR123's go I dont think there is a more preferred light. Also in the "If you could only have one light what would it be?" thread I am pretty sure HDS took top honors.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually kind of forgot about HDS, but they are definitely out of my budget- should have put that in my op. The V10R is about as much as I want to spend. In fact, I've never even spent that much on a light before.

Last edited: