Small, flood, $40 (+/-)...?

DamnYankee

Newly Enlightened
I'm searching lots, so go easy on the "use the search" comments. :)

As the title states, I'm looking for a good flood (primarily), somewhere around $40 (or less), small in size (3" - 5" or so?).

I know that's on the "cheapie"/low-end of what most of you guys buy, but that's my price range.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'll continue searching. :thumbsup:

jondotcom

Enlightened
consider Xeno E03 xm-l. Floody, small (1xaa or 14500), and around ~$33 shipped.

davecroft

Enlightened
The Fenix E11 is worth a look. Well built, quite floody and reasonably priced. I also like the E05 but it depends how bright you want - E05 (AAA) is 27 lumens for almost 3 hours, E11 (AA) is 32 lumens for 8 hours low mode, 105 lumens for almost 2 hours high mode.

DamnYankee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys...I really appreciate it.

I'm watching videos for all of those and they all look like pretty good options.

I guess most people do the tests outside, because that's where they'll use them. I'll be using mine primarily in attics (for my job), so I wish there were more videos showing the flood capability in a room (garage, attic, basement, whatever....)

Either way, thanks again for the info! Keep the suggestions coming.:thumbsup:

weez82

Enlightened
Preon 2, MiNi AA^2, Xeno E03 (no pocket clip though). I've used all those in my attic and they all worked great. Do you have a battery preference? Do you need a pocket clip? Twist or clicky?

DamnYankee

Newly Enlightened
Good points...Click or twist doesn't matter. What I would prefer is a key ring (or lanyard) so I can secure it to my tool pouch. I'm up in the air on a short and stout light or more of a pen-style light.

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
The least expensive flooder (zoom: flood-to-thrower) is the Romisen RC-29. the latest hardware revision has a 3-Mode Zooming LED (Cree Q5) and supports any kind of AA-sized batteries (i.e. 1.5V AA, 3.7V 14500, 1.2V LiMH, and any other AA-sized batteries or rechargeables).

In addition, you could unscrew the head (because the LED is mounted/solded onto a aluminium drop-in pill which in turn is secured by screwing. so the pill is not a literal "drop-in") and thus you do have the perfect flooder! This is demonstrated in the following youtube video (with the predecessor Romisen model, the Romisen RC-G2):

Romisen RC-G2: Best LED flashlight for the money, Period. (the video has 84 comments!! :eek: )

Price point is ~10US$ :twothumbs

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
MiNI 123 and Xeno E03 are nice. Both can be easily hooked to a tool belt. The 123 will have more output but cant be ran on high (for long periods of time) with rechargeables. I know there's more options out there for small lights but Im out of time (got to leave for work) and cant look them up. So many light to chose from and so little cash, lol

DamnYankee

Newly Enlightened
The least expensive flooder (zoom: flood-to-thrower) is the Romisen RC-29. the latest hardware revision has a 3-Mode Zooming LED (Cree Q5) and supports any kind of AA-sized batteries (i.e. 1.5V AA, 3.7V 14500, 1.2V LiMH, and any other AA-sized batteries or rechargeables).

In addition, you could unscrew the head (because the LED is mounted/solded onto a aluminium drop-in pill which in turn is secured by screwing. so the pill is not a literal "drop-in") and thus you do have the perfect flooder! This is demonstrated in the following youtube video (with the predecessor Romisen model, the Romisen RC-G2):

Romisen RC-G2: Best LED flashlight for the money, Period. (the video has 84 comments!! :eek: )

Price point is ~10US$ :twothumbs

I watched that video earlier - looks like a great light with a lot of features for the price. It's in my "bookmarks". Thanks for the recommendation!

MiNI 123 and Xeno E03 are nice. Both can be easily hooked to a tool belt. The 123 will have more output but cant be ran on high (for long periods of time) with rechargeables. I know there's more options out there for small lights but Im out of time (got to leave for work) and cant look them up. So many light to chose from and so little cash, lol

Just watched a video of the Mini 123...that thing seems to have pretty amazing output for it's size! I won't use these a TON, so battery life isn't a huge issue to me.

Do you have any battery type preferences?

I'm still trying to learn the lingo around here, but to answer your question, I guess I just want a battery that's easily obtainable. I don't want to have to order one offline. That being said, I live pretty close to a Batteries Plus, so I'm guessing I'd be able to get anything I need from there.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to have to order one offline. That being said, I live pretty close to a Batteries Plus, so I'm guessing I'd be able to get anything I need from there.

I'm sure you must mean that you don't want to have to order a battery from a website...because if you're offline your really not gonna be ordering anything. While I understand the feeling probably includes a wariness of making any kind of purchase over the internet...you're most likely gonna get the best deal from a website over a brick and mortar store. I too tried to save myself the wait of ordering from across the country by going to a local Batteries Plus....and Interstate Batteries looking for any kind of Li-Ion battery as well as a Ni-Cad replacement for a Streamlight, I ended up ordering from a website. As long as you are looking for common AAA, AA, C or D size or cell phone batteries I suppose they've got you covered.

DamnYankee

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure you must mean that you don't want to have to order a battery from a website...because if you're offline your really not gonna be ordering anything. While I understand the feeling probably includes a wariness of making any kind of purchase over the internet...you're most likely gonna get the best deal from a website over a brick and mortar store. I too tried to save myself the wait of ordering from across the country by going to a local Batteries Plus....and Interstate Batteries looking for any kind of Li-Ion battery as well as a Ni-Cad replacement for a Streamlight, I ended up ordering from a website. As long as you are looking for common AAA, AA, C or D size or cell phone batteries I suppose they've got you covered.

Yes, that's what I meant. I guess "offline" wasn't the proper word. I'm not wary about buying online, I just don't want to have to wait if a battery dies. If whatever flashlight I decide on has a hard-to-find battery, I'll buy two to start with I guess.

Yeah, I like the Xeno E03 V3. I've got that, the Quark Mini 123, and the Romicen RC-29 so far as my favorites.

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
Yeah, I like the Xeno E03 V3. I've got that, the Quark Mini 123, and the Romicen RC-29 so far as my favorites.

I guess the next question you should ask yourself is: Clicky or twisty. And: AA or cr123? Also you should note that the e03 comes on in med/lo/hi and the mini is lo/med/hi. Cant comment on the Romicen as Ive never used one. Personally if I where looking into a light for work and had to chose from those, I would get the e03 nw or ww (I have the nw and like the tint). I dont like twist's and it's inexpensive and runs on AA's. Eneloops are cheap in the long run. Anyways, just more stuff to think about :)

can you get off my junk? I said the mini is just as floody as the e03. I never said the e03 wasnt floody.

PerttiK

Enlightened
I'd think you can't go wrong with Xeno E03.
Pretty much all lights with xm-l or xp-g and a small diameter shallow orange peel reflector are quite floody.
And neutral is my personal favorite nowadays.

Last edited:

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
just purchased the rc-29 r5 edition for my mommie! she's such a geek. loves my lights and misplaces them and makes me crazy. so i just had to get her, her very own. the wide range of flood to throw makes it a good nerd light. plus the aa's instead of burning my cr123's is great. love you mom!

Latest posts