First 4Sevens light.. slightly dubious..

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
I got my Quark 123^2 X today.
When I got the package the light was able to rattle around, which I thought was a little strange. Continuing when I opened it there was a very gritty feel and sound to the threads, it was as if there was very fine grit in the threads, especially at the pocket clip and tailcap.

So I put the batteries in (the correct way), hit the tail button and.... nothing. Clicked it a few more times, nothing happened. Checked the instructions, yes they're in the correct way. I took the tailcap off and put it back on once or twice and then it started working.

I played with the light a bit, set the modes I want (Max/Moonlight), and went about my way. One odd thing I noticed is at one point I had the bezel turned and clicked it on and for an instant it flashed the Max then went to Moonlight.

About 40 minutes later I needed to see into a dark cupboard in my basement, so I pulled out my light, hit the tailcap and..... nothing. Fiddling with it for a minute or two caused it to come on, but wtf ?

Anybody else experienced this? What should I do?

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
I got my Quark 123^2 X today.
When I got the package the light was able to rattle around, which I thought was a little strange. Continuing when I opened it there was a very gritty feel and sound to the threads, it was as if there was very fine grit in the threads, especially at the pocket clip and tailcap.

So I put the batteries in (the correct way), hit the tail button and.... nothing. Clicked it a few more times, nothing happened. Checked the instructions, yes they're in the correct way. I took the tailcap off and put it back on once or twice and then it started working.

I played with the light a bit, set the modes I want (Max/Moonlight), and went about my way. One odd thing I noticed is at one point I had the bezel turned and clicked it on and for an instant it flashed the Max then went to Moonlight.

About 40 minutes later I needed to see into a dark cupboard in my basement, so I pulled out my light, hit the tailcap and..... nothing. Fiddling with it for a minute or two caused it to come on, but wtf ?

contact customer service. 4sevens imo has the best cs. They reply fast and will take care of your light

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes the tailcap's insides are not tightened enough to ensure proper contact with the body...

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
contact customer service. 4sevens imo has the best cs. They reply fast and will take care of your light

Emailed them about 20 minutes ago, they've replied already with some stuff to try. So far the light seems to be working normally, but I'm glad they have the 10 year mfg warrantee :)

weez82

Enlightened
Emailed them about 20 minutes ago, they've replied already with some stuff to try. So far the light seems to be working normally, but I'm glad they have the 10 year mfg warrantee :)

Yeah, sometimes new lights just need a little tweaking (sucks but oh well). And yeah, 10year warranty is nice :). Glad your light is now working. I think you'll love that quark

nbp

Flashaholic
Ti²C said:
Sometimes the tailcap's insides are not tightened enough to ensure proper contact with the body...

This is a good tip. Use a spanner or needlenose pliers to catch the notches in the tailcap guts and make sure it's good and tight in there. A common issue on these kinds of lights, but easy to fix.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try tightening the retaining ring as suggested. To me it sounds like you didn't have the tailcap on all of the way. I had quark light that needed the tailcap tightened down really tight for it to work. I ended up putting a spacer (plastic washer) in the switch assembly so that the retaining ring made contact with the battery tube with less rotations, it worked very well and was a quick fix. I would also clean the threads and put some lube on them.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I observed on another recent thread, they are great lights if you can get them to work.

I know the customer service is wonderful etc. but it really would be nice if they were redesigned with more reliability.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
A common issue on Quarks is the retaining ring for the pocket clip not getting tightened down well. Sometimes you have to use a small pair of pliars to gently snug down this ring, for the tail cap to make good contact. I have done this on all my Quarks and have never had an issue with any of them. (5 lights)

Lancerlot

Newly Enlightened
Yeah mine came about a week ago & felt a little "dubious". After some playing around as suggested here its working great! :)

derek75

Newly Enlightened
I have the quark 123 and quark 123^2 both tactical and at first i really had to make sure the tailcaps were secure but after a week or so they dont give me any problems. Also my light came in the most extravagant packaging i have seen. I think David is responding to the green packaging questions he has received. And as for CS I will say again they are the best.:twothumbs

I forgot to say I do love the Quarks and the Preon. I do think the Quark will work out for you.

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
1. Yes, the 2 4Sevens lights do have a bit of "grit" to the threads, but a little Krytox lube and cleaning and its smooth as butter.
2. That definitely sounds like a broken tailcap switch, email 4Sevens and they will definitely send you a new one, if not you can send the light back for replacement/exchange. 4Sevens has one of the best customer service available.
3. Yes, the preflash is still an issue that is present in all of the old Quarks and some of the newer Quarks XMLs. BTW the flash is not on max mode as you claimed but rather on the 4 lumens low mode.

So just contact 4sevens and they should take care of the problems.

j2k

Newly Enlightened
Similar situation here. Just got NW Preon 2 yesterday, and the light worked for maybe 12 activations, and then nada. I tried putting the head on preon 1 body and still zip, so contacted 4sevens and got RMA# but now I need to fork extra money out to ship it back to them. Kinda dissapointing.

weez82

Enlightened
Similar situation here. Just got NW Preon 2 yesterday, and the light worked for maybe 12 activations, and then nada. I tried putting the head on preon 1 body and still zip, so contacted 4sevens and got RMA# but now I need to fork extra money out to ship it back to them. Kinda dissapointing.

only costs like $2 to send it back. But yes it does suck that the light didnt work 100%

Norm

Retired Administrator

This should always be your first contact point, with a CPF post if all else fails.
Norm