Which light(s) have the widest range of strobe functionality? Questions about strobe.

danreetz

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm doing a research project related to the strobe modes of LED flashlights. I'd like to buy some lights with strobe modes that are "representative" of the total range of strobe.

So a few basic questions:
  • 1. What are the most common strobe modes and frequencies (off the top of your head is fine).
  • 2. Do some manufacturers, like Surefire, have a "standard" strobe that shows up in many of their lights?
  • 3.. What are two or three lights I could buy that would give me the most representative strobe modes?

Thanks for any help or leads to help me understand this very broad question.

AusKipper

Enlightened
You can find the strobe frequencies on many of the manufacturers websites.

Some have now gone to a multiple frequency variable strobe (Fenix/Jetbeam) which I like.

Selfbuilt has done a review on a light that is not overly expensive, that has a programmable strobe where you can set the frequency here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314060-Nextorch-MyTorch-1AA-2AA-3AAA-(XP-E-R3-PC-Programmable)-Review-RUNTIMES
Manufacturer of that is "Nextorch"

They ArmyTek Predator also has an adjustable strobe, reviewed again by Selfbuilt, here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308156-ArmyTek-Predator-(XP-G-R5-1x18650-2xR-CR123A)-Programmable-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Strobe frequencies are adjustable on my LiteFlux LF2 and LF3. These are the only lights I'm aware of that can do this, but maybe the HDS lights can also.

Geoff

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Jetbeam lights with the IBS user interface also have adjustable strobe frequency, as well as other adjustable flashing modes, selectable SOS, etc.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
The Armytek Predator's strobe frequency is adjustable too as far as the first model was concerned, probably still a feature in the newer ones though. The Predator can also be programmed to use as a dedicated strober if that's what you're looking for (but only on the head loosened program line AFAIK).

The only strobe Surefires I know of are the Z2-S, M3LT-S and AZ2-S. There's probably a few more but they require you to rapidly cycle momentary 3 or more times for the strobe to activate. They aren't dedicated strobers.