Comming back from the dark side and need help finding a new light

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, i havent been on here in ages :wave:
So i was wondering if you guys could help me choose an edc light. i currently carry a fenix t1 in my rucksack and a fenix ld25 on my belt but neither seem to be able to throw far enough for when im out on the beach or going for walks with my dog in the woods. recently a friend of mine was mugged and i was also hoping to be able to get a long throwing light that i can use as self defence so i was aiming for something with an imidiate strobe feature or that i can program so the stobe is the first selected mode. Im happy with any kind of batteries and run times dont matter to much although a really low output would be really handy, being a student i am also on a bit of a budget and cant spend any more than about £90 to £100 max. Three that i have seen that i have liked are Armytek predator V1.2, the olight M20S special Operations Warrior S2 Tactical and the OLIGHT M20S-X Special Operations Warrior Cree XM-L.

Any other alternatives? what do you guys recomend?

Thanks for any input :)

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
im not too sure about the PD32 will it throw far enough? i need something that can throw at least 250 meters cause my T1 just wont cut it.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
im not too sure about the PD32 will it throw far enough? i need something that can throw at least 250 meters cause my T1 just wont cut it.
Your probably right, looked right past your throw requirements when I saw the strobe thing. I have the PD31 and is rated at 140 meters, but it will definitely throw out to 200 meters (i just measured with Google earth)

weez82

Enlightened

Thats an insane amount of throw for an edc. Anyways, go on youtube and look up goingprepared. He compares the throw of 50+ lights out to 100/200/300 yards. I think it will be hard to find a light that meets your 250 meter throw requirement and be small and light enough for edc

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the programmable Quark Turbo X answers your question. You can set it to strobe then to whatever output you want it to be on for secondary mode, then lastly, you get the throw you want since it has a relatively big head for a small light.

If you want really small thrower, check out the Lumintop L1C (XPG R5 + smooth, deep reflector). It's a 1xCR123 light that puts out about 200+ lumens, but its not programmable, only last mode memory but throw's pretty decent.

But if you want a really good self defense light, it should be extremely bright, maybe in the 400 lumens and higher range as this is painful to look at, esp if your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

Also, you may want the SS bezel of the light to be a bit pointed so you can use the flashlight to stab at the would-be attacker and cause some serious hurt.