FENIX PD32 A Flashlight Rookie Review

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Being new to the whole flashlight thing, my perceptive may be distorted.

I recently moved to a somewhat rural community in Canada from NYC and for the first time found the real need for a flashlight. After stumbling upon CPF and doing some reading I settled on an 18650 tube due to runtime. More research led me to believe that the Fenix PD32 was somewhat smaller than most other 18650 lights so I pulled the trigger.

Pluses.

-I can easily use it as an EDC as it fits nicely in pants pocket or clipped to pocket.
- VERY BRIGHT on Turbo. Plenty of light for me. In fact I usually use the 2 lower settings.
-Illuminates a very large area and throws light far.
-Excellent runtime

Minuses

-Since I use the High setting more than Turbo, I have to cycle through Low and Medium each time I turn on the light. I wish it remembered the last light setting I had it on.

-Wish I could bypass the Strobe feature.

Wishes

-A usb port so I could charge the unit on my computer or 12v truck battery without ever having to remove the battery.

Not Sure About

-Definately see major rings between the center spot and 2 other visible light intensities (not sure if this is a good or bad thing but doesnt bother me)

Thats all I got. No beamshots...thats it.

Ordered a Fenix TX35 because I want to see what harnessing the power of 800 lumens is like.

This may be the starting of an addiction. The wife is already on me about spending so much time reading this forum and looking through Battery Junctions pages.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
So, you mean you got the really PD32, not the test sample.
That is really quickly to buy it from the market.
Also, the ideas about this light is quite helpful for me.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Are you certain that it is the PD32 that you have? As stated above, I didn't believe that the production lights had been released yet. I also thought that the PD32 was meant to have mode memory, not to mention that the flashing modes are not part of the normal mode cycle - you have to press and hold the mode changing switch to get strobe or SOS, rather than just tapping the button to cycle through the modes.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the real PD32, you never have to go into strobe if you don't want to. To ACCESS strobe mode, you have to deliberately HOLD DOWN the side mode switch for more than 1 second to get into strobe mode. Does your light have a side mounted mode switch? Like this:
uYNgpd

duro

Enlightened
Sounds like this rookie may be talking about the pd31, or maybe even the older pd30.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Me bad...it is the PD31. It looks like the PD32 adressed one of my complaints.

Sorry.

Are there any 18650 lights with a built in internal charger ?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the PD32 addresses both of the minuses you mentioned, as it has mode memory. You can instantly go into the brightness setting you left it on.

As for 18650 lights with built in charger... I don't know of any, but you could take a look at the 5.11 Tactical Light For Life range. They don't have exchangeable 18650 cells, but they come with a car charger and recharge in 90 seconds for 120 mins runtime... Purportedly; I haven't used it myself. But seems like a good idea if it works as they say.

johnnygraphic

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the PD32, but am shying away due to some of the comments about the Li-Ion 18650. I will probably go with the LD20 using 2xAA and go with Sanyo Eneloops (probably XX). Just ordered E11's-Will probably use standard Eneloops in those.

This will be a long road down an expensive, but illuminating path!!! :)

In any case, the PD32 looks great!!!

Thanks!

Johnny

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
LED Lenser products aren't too popular on this forum, but the M7R uses a 18650 cell, and recharges via a stand provided with the light, via a magnetic connection. Fortunately, the M7R is one of the better models, and answers a number of the criticisms levelled at earlier LL models, but as a result it is very expensive.

Nextorch have the myTorch 18650 model. With the included 18650, the torch can be charged with the battery in place, via a USB port. The light can be used with other 18650s, but these would require that the battery be removed and charged separately.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being new to the whole flashlight thing, my perceptive may be distorted.

I recently moved to a somewhat rural community in Canada from NYC and for the first time found the real need for a flashlight. After stumbling upon CPF and doing some reading I settled on an 18650 tube due to runtime. More research led me to believe that the Fenix PD32 was somewhat smaller than most other 18650 lights so I pulled the trigger.

Pluses.

-I can easily use it as an EDC as it fits nicely in pants pocket or clipped to pocket.
- VERY BRIGHT on Turbo. Plenty of light for me. In fact I usually use the 2 lower settings.
-Illuminates a very large area and throws light far.
-Excellent runtime

Minuses

-Since I use the High setting more than Turbo, I have to cycle through Low and Medium each time I turn on the light. I wish it remembered the last light setting I had it on.

Wishes

-A usb port so I could charge the unit on my computer or 12v truck battery without ever having to remove the battery.

Not Sure About

-Definately see major rings between the center spot and 2 other visible light intensities (not sure if this is a good or bad thing but doesnt bother me)

Thats all I got. No beamshots...thats it.

Ordered a Fenix TX35 because I want to see what harnessing the power of 800 lumens is like.

This may be the starting of an addiction. The wife is already on me about spending so much time reading this forum and looking through Battery Junctions pages.

Congrats on your Fenix purchase! I cant help but notice your TK35 purchase as well, as a TK35 owner myself, i have nothing but praises for this light. It will outshine even standard car headlamps and can throw light so very far. Make sure you order good 18650's so runtimes will be excellent.

If you want a good flashaholic fix, make sure to visit going prepared's channel in youtube, as well as nutnfancy's channel, you'll get the low down on each of the lights you might be interested in buying.

My justification to my wifey: Honey, i dont drink, smoke, party all night nor womanize, so let me have my flashlights! hahaaha!

For good measure, i have my lights delivered to the office. haha... sneaky me!

AutoTech

Enlightened
Think you got lucky getting a pd31, when I was looking a while back they'd sold out most places in the states.

The beam is ring city isn't it! Feels like a quality light though, tightest o rings on any light of mine.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
When you say get goo 18650's, what exactly are you referring to? Are there certain brands that are better than others? I've seen some that are $9.95 per. Is that a good price? Can you please provide a link as to where to purchase these batteries from. I too just bought the TK35. I really like it.

Congrats on your Fenix purchase! I cant help but notice your TK35 purchase as well, as a TK35 owner myself, i have nothing but praises for this light. It will outshine even standard car headlamps and can throw light so very far. Make sure you order good 18650's so runtimes will be excellent.

If you want a good flashaholic fix, make sure to visit going prepared's channel in youtube, as well as nutnfancy's channel, you'll get the low down on each of the lights you might be interested in buying.

My justification to my wifey: Honey, i dont drink, smoke, party all night nor womanize, so let me have my flashlights! hahaaha!

For good measure, i have my lights delivered to the office. haha... sneaky me!

nsl18

Newly Enlightened
how i can unscrew the head for replace LED to XP G R5 neutral white? I hate blue-tint color light in pd32 compare to nitecore IFE2

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
how i can unscrew the head for replace LED to XP G R5 neutral white? I hate blue-tint color light in pd32 compare to nitecore IFE2

+1, mine is also the most blueish of all the XP-G lights I have. So I wouldn't mind an LED change out too. Basically I like the light. Sort of wish it had an OP reflector though.