MG P-Rocket XML NW quality?

Tiresius

Enlightened
I just bought that light and was wondering if anyone had any complaints about it...Read up some CPF users review about it. It looks like a solid build to me but the head unit seems a bit odd compared to what I'm used to. Can anyone else chime in on it?

Tiresius

Enlightened
Light arrived today...I'm not too excited about it being a NW because my Sparks ST460NW has a much warmer tint. The build is very solid and robust...Really liked how I am given two types of switches--forward clicky and another reverse clicky.

Haven't checked the throw of it but will be testing it tonight...Happy Halloweens, everyone. This guy's gonna ruin the night for them tonight.

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
I have the Camo P Rocket that is in NW ... I've had it for a little over a month and love it.
Personally I like the scallops out of the tailcap to give better access to clicky and still allow it to tailstand.
As for brightness and throw... I am very impressed by both, it is very bright in my opinion, I don't have a way to acurately measure the otf lumens myself but Shiningbeam says its 800+ I'd guess OTF is probably 650-700 just an 'enlightened' guess tho lol. And I am still very impressed by the throw given its the larger XML emitter and not an oversized head/reflector assembly. Easily throws usable light over 150yds from what I can tell (dont have anywhere I can test it more then about 120-130 yards.

Its one of my favorite lights now... carry it with me a lot.

Tiresius

Enlightened
I don't know if it was mines that was a fluke of luck but my driver went out after using it for 4 times...Came in and died the same day. Brian is sending me a replacement...great CS

timbo114

Enlightened
I've had my camo version for 3 weeks.
I love it.
Amazing amount of usable spill and long throw.
I installed the fwd clicky.

I've got a ThruNite Neutron 1C XM-L, which is quite bright and a pure white beam - very nice ... this P Rocket NW XM-L is creamy vanilla, with enormous hot spot.
The beam fills my yard and my 2 adjoining neighbors yards as well - crazy wide spill.

My levels all have the same tint -
I've read that other XM-L units may have a color shift at lower levels.

It's a good rugged built light - worth more than the asking price.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Finally a thread on the P-Rocket....lol

I should be getting the Camo NW today and I'm really pumped to get it.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I received mine today and it has some great output for a 2x123 light.... The light is rated for 810 Emitter lumens so perhaps 700ish OTF or a little more. I compared it to my Jetbeam M1X with the MC-E which is rated at 700 OTF. The P-Rocket is more neutral but even my M1X isn't all that cool... The P-Rocket is a pure white beam...a creamy white hot spot and a more pure white spill while the Hot spot on the M1X is a pure white with a cool white spill. Shining both on the ground about 1ft away the beam overall looks more intense coming out the front of the M1x but it's a tighter beam...smaller flood and hotspot so those 700 Lm look brighter as they are more concentrated in a smaller area.... Shining further away the P-Rocket's power becomes more obvious as it doesn't look as powerful up close. Outside the flood is much bigger on the P-Rocket and it also has a huge hotspot with respectable throw for an XM-L...easily throws far enough for my needs...perhaps the sheer power pushes the beam farther. The fun thing is to take the head off and go for a purely flood (candle) mode for a heck of one wall of light. The build construction is alright but for the price it's more then fine.

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
I have had my P-Rocket when it first came out in the cool white 850+ Lumens and I use it daily at work and always get complements on how bright it is.

Last edited:

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
I hate to be a downer but I'm not a big fan of the P-rocket line. The xpg version was one of the first lights I paid more than 20 for. I was amazed with it when I first got it. Good build quality, great output, and a decent output. The thing is, once I got into p60 hosts, more specifically solarforce, I had no use for it.

For the same price you can get a L2p, which is type 3 anodized, infinitely upgradeable, and customizable. If you look in the right places you can get custom built dropins, which utilize the same driver, for $25+.

So it's not that these are bad lights or have huge flaws, more so that there's better value lights with similar or better specs than them.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Okay, it seems like the one Brian sent me had a busted driver...I got mines yesterday and it worked great so far. I have no idea as to how the old one died because I only used it for 4x and that's it. I do like the light--especially at night. Dsoto87, I'm not a huge fan of P60 style lights. The warmer tints for P60 generally costs a lot for something that'll put out a lot of lumens.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Does anyone knows if this light is waterproof? On Brian's site, it doesn't mention water proof. The light is dual sealed but the way the tailcap is setup and how smoothly the head and tailcap slides on makes me feel uneasy about it being dropped in a puddle while camping and night spearhunting...