HDS Twisty 200 vs. Sunwayman Titanium V10R???

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
I currently have 4 lights that I kind of rotate between. Quark Ti 123Quark Neutral 123Jetbeam RRT-0 XM-LZebralight SC31w

I'm thinking about taking a shot at a more expensive light ($150-$200) as my birthday is coming and I have been asked by my family what I wanted and can't think of anything else I want.

I'm looking at the Sunwayman V10R in Titanium and the HDS Twisty 200.What would be the deciding factors for you between these 2 lights for EDC? How do the tints and beam quality compare?What else should I consider when comparing these lights?

Any other considerations that can be offerred in this comparison are most welcome. If anyone has a side by side picture I would love to see it. I'm looking for something along the lines of an "ultimate EDC" that might replace my other lights or bring something special to the table...

Last edited by a moderator:

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the hard to read post, the editor isn't accepting my spacing and paragraphs for some reason. Maybe because I am posting from a phone?

Formatting fixed, I hope I've put the paragraphs in the correct place, the editing played up for me too, I found that shift return gave me the breaks I wanted. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

AutoTech

Enlightened
After going crazy and ending up with about 13 lights in just over a month, the only one I'm edc'ing is a v10r titanium.

It's amazing how many of my lights I bought that I'd consider useless now. For instance the klarus P1c I bought, bright as heck and only high and 'low'. The low just isn't low enough for all requirements in an edc. What I'm getting at is the variable control ring on the v10r is the most usefull thing I've come accross in this flashlight world I've come accross.

I understand the hds goes low but suddenly clicking or twisting becomes annoying. The v10r is so intuitive, I'm sure any flashoholic would love it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no 200 Twisty for HDS. The twisty series has been discontinued. Do you mean 200 Rotary? If that is the one, get that. I got the V10R Ti first, but ever since I bought the HDS 200 Rotary I stopped using the V10R Ti. The user interface of the rotary is much much better than the V10R Ti.

Shooter21

Enlightened
id say get the hds since you get a lifetime warranty and its bomb proof. it has the best UI i have ever seen in a light and its fully customizable

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I meant rotary for the HDS, not twisty.Does one of these lights carry better than the other? Like, how are the pocket clips? I use clips on my lights.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Yes, I meant rotary for the HDS, not twisty.Does one of these lights carry better than the other? Like, how are the pocket clips? I use clips on my lights.
As of right now, a clip is a "no go" on the rotary. If you have to have a clip, then get the "clicky" instead. Same great UI, just lack of the rotary knob.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
The clip on the v10r is kind of cheap. I just kind of wraps three quarters of the way around the light and is held by the bent-ness of the clip. Seems like it could rip off. I guess this however is better than there being no clip on the rotary. I carry the rotary every day and there is just no better flashlight. I cant imagine how there would be. I can take it out of my pocket and have it put out .08 or 200 lumens in less than a second. One handed operation is as simple as can be, there is plenty of grip and it is buttery smooth with the perfect amount of restriction to make it feel of utmost quality. I cant recommend it enough.

The basic ui, and it is much more complicated than this if you want it to be.. but the way mine is set up is that when the switch is clicked, it will come on in whatever mode the rotary dial is turned to. It is easy to know where it is because it goes around once, so you eventually just get a feel for it. Once its on, if I double click the switch itll strobe. If I turn it on and its on low, if I click and hold the button it will go to high until I release it. When the light is off if you click and hold the button it will come on momentary, if I release itll turn off. You can change all of these settings of course. Its an awesome light, and def better than the v10r. I think so at least. Also far more efficient on low modes.

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am leaning towards the Rotary. Thanks for the input so far!Since there is no clip option for the Rotary, I was wondering is there a provision to attach a lanyard?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how you dress daily but I am carrying mine concealed under my shirt on a kydex holster from HDS. Just got to love that holster since it added some class to the light, and the rotary sits snug and tight in there. Because kydex grips around the item that it is made to carry, it eliminates the need for a flap thus making quick draw much easier. No need to worry about flashlight clips snagging on something.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
My rotary has a donut in the beam at 4 inches, then it disappears. Therefore its not relevant. To me anyways. I carry it in my pocket and I always have a poland spring water bottle cap on it. Works perfectly as a diffuser. As far as a lanyard goes I have a surefire standard gray lanyard. They have two tension balls on it and I put the rotary between them. Allows me to carry it around the neck, and it wont roll anywhere when on a table.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I have the Sunwayman Ti 10R I like it very much to get max output you will have to run RCR123's, not bad but certainly gets hot. The 10R gives no warning when voltage is dropping below usable state which is kind of negative with regards to current modern lights. A positive note is the fact that if you purchase the extension tube you can run AA which is pretty handy.
The HDS lights has a great user interface, especially the rotary version. I have a Exec 140 that I have had for 2.5 years and it has been fantastic I have it set up with the Locating Beacon feature enabled since day one, great for finding your light in a pitch black room. Has a feature that Notifies the OP when voltages are getting low by stepping down the light output. If you want bling, get the 10R Ti if want solid user interface, great USA service, get the HDS.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Horses for courses.

The HDS Rotary 200 is great if you have big hands because it has a much larger circumference.
You'll also need very strong thumb and fingers because the rotary dial is extremely stiff to rotate; it feels like it has been lubricated with honey!
The Rotary 200 uses a short travel digital tail end clicky switch; it does not have a half press.
The digital button on the HDS can be used to program many electronic adjustments like time till auto-off etc, but these extra functions are of minor gimmicky importance for most people.

The V10R is great if you have smaller hands, and great if you want to put it in your pocket inconspicuously, because it is very narrow and short, and lighter too.
The V10R is also great if you want "easy to use" momentary light activation and light continuously variable brightness; with the HDS Rotary 200, you must hold the digital button down for a second or so before momentary activates - conventionally, most people couldn't stand having to hold the button down, and they want instantaneous momentary activation by doing a "half" press on the longer travel analog button.
You can buy a Nitecore pocket clip with two robust external screws for the V10R.

On RCR123's, the beams on both the HDS Rotary 200 and the V10R are very similar; the V10R's may be a little cooler.
The Rotary 200 & V10R show just how over-inflated the Jb RRT-0 R5/S2's lumen ratings are.
Because the V10R lacks mass, it gets very hot quickly, but no problem.

Both HDS and Sunwayman service is excellent!

Thus the main difference is in size, analog versus digital tail end clicky, and stiffness of the neck or tail end dials.
The HDS is a big brawny Western design like eating a big piece of rump steak, where the V10R is a more elegant refined Asian design like eating Mongolian Sizzling beef where the meat is pre-cut into small soft pieces...

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sunwayman is better if you want to change brightness while walking. The tumb is pointing the same way as the head, so it's easy to change brightness while your hands is down (walking). (not easy to do that with the rotary) The hds reqiuers you to have your tumb at the tail so its better if you want to change brightness in a overhand grip. (not easy to do that with the v10r)

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Not true. When I walk I hold mine like this ....
IMG_20111028_194322.jpg
. You can hold the tail end in your fourth finger and palm and rotate the body with thumb and pointer finger. Works fine. Also the 'honey like' twisting action is perfect IMO. If you check a thread on here about "Long Term Impressions of V10R most of the users complaints are that after the time rotary mechanism becomes loose. I want it tight. And I have tried two rotaries and the tolerances are slightly different, but I have no trouble twisting either, nor has my girlfriend who has hands like a 12 year old. I dont think its an issue.

The sunwayman is better if you want to change brightness while walking. The tumb is pointing the same way as the head, so it's easy to change brightness while your hands is down (walking). (not easy to do that with the rotary) The hds reqiuers you to have your tumb at the tail so its better if you want to change brightness in a overhand grip. (not easy to do that with the v10r)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....The HDS is a big brawny Western design like eating a big piece of rump steak, where the V10R is a more elegant refined Asian design like eating Mongolian Sizzling beef where the meat is pre-cut into small soft pieces...

+

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
500px-US_Beef_cuts.svg.png

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rotary 200 & V10R show just how over-inflated the Jb RRT-0 R5/S2's lumen ratings are.

OT No one seems to notice this, but even with their models that are supposedly ANSI lumens, jetbeam's claims are bogus (ba10 160 vs. 130l)- I thought ANSI was an objective defined method, it's not like the confusion between emitter & otf lumens.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not true. When I walk I hold mine like this ....
I said it's not that easy, not impossible, or very hard. Both light's can be controlled in both grips, but one is better than the other in both cases, you agree on that?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said it's not that easy, not impossible, or very hard. Both light's can be controlled in both grips, but one is better than the other in both cases, you agree on that?
I don't think I have any problems using the rotary at all. What makes it even better than the V10R is that I can always press the tail cap for an instant boost to max from any level. Can't do that with the V10R. To rotate the ring to max takes a little longer than I would like, and not to say that it is not easy to locate the ring and turn it especially with wet hands.