Pocket carry/one 18650/variable output/50' max distance

acs55812

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to replace a 125 lumen Gander Mountain light the burnt out on me. I have a large supply of 18650 cells--mostly new (unprotected) that I would like to use as I plan on building battery packs for my bike light also with these.

To replace the light my usage is:

1. Must be able to use this for office machine repair--by that I mean use it to light up the inside of a copy machine for repair--while not blinding myself that its so bright.

2. Walking in from the car out in the country where the stars actually shine (total black, no ambient street lights to see the skunks in the driveway)

Wants:

1. Is it possible the circuit protection can be built into the light instead of the battery----in a ready to purchase light---not a build it yourself?

2. Prefer 1 18650 cell, maybe I could be talked into two if they are side by side, not end to end--to be a comfortable pocket carry not holster.

3. Budget try for 100'ish or less.

4. Adjustable output.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
If you would like really small, Shiningbeam S-mini with 400 lumens with XM-L or 360 lumens with XP-G. $35-$43. I love mine and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite lights. I have a Shiningbeam Blaze on the way that uses one 18650 and has up to 720 lumens and only costs $58. I hear good things about this light and I can't wait to get it.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
ShiningBeam S-mini XM-L.

Has over discharge protection - kicks off when battery hits 3V
1 18650 cell and about as slim as it gets for pocket carry
Budget - less than $50
3 modes (10,172, 400 lumens)

snakyjake

Enlightened
Interesting...The forum has been pretty silent regarding the ShiningBeam S-mini XM-LT6. Are the rated lumens exaggerated? Runtimes? Tint? How does it compare with Zebralight SC600? Around here Zebralight tops.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the S-mini. If you get the Zebralight, then you're pretty much guaranteed to blind yourself inside a copy machine when you don't hold the button long enough and it goes straight to high.

--flatline

Chidwack

Enlightened
Interesting...The forum has been pretty silent regarding the ShiningBeam S-mini XM-LT6. Are the rated lumens exaggerated? Runtimes? Tint? How does it compare with Zebralight SC600? Around here Zebralight tops.

I don't have the S-mini XM-L with it's rated 400 lumens. I have the XP-G model that is listed at 360 lumens. It's $8 less and has more throw which is what I wanted. I don't know if the lumens are exaggerated or not but when I compare it to my Xeno E03 with it's 490 lumens on high with a 14500 battery, I really don't see much or any difference in brightness. For me, the S-mini has a much more usable beam and I really like it. The run time on one 18650 battery AW2900 gives me about 2.5 hours on high mode and doesn't get hot enough to worry me at all. When I show all my lights to my friends, they are all impressed with the S-mini and some have ordered one for themselves.

acs55812

Newly Enlightened
ShiningBeam S-mini XM-L

Does this have adjustable beam? (spot to flood?)

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you can set the high on the SC600 to not come on the Highest setting but a "lower high". I would recommend it for the task.

acs55812

Newly Enlightened
Is there an 18650 with adjustable beam (flood to spot) and adjustable output? (intensity or brightness is what I mean)

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the Zebralight, then you're pretty much guaranteed to blind yourself inside a copy machine when you don't hold the button long enough and it goes straight to high.

I've never done this. I've carriad different Zebras every day for over a year and have yet to do this.

I think you can set the high on the SC600 to not come on the Highest setting but a "lower high". I would recommend it for the task.

You are correct.

To the OP: You could also check of the Zebralight SC60w. It is cheaper because it has been discontinued in favor of the SC600. The SC60 has a nice neutral tint so it iwll be easier on your eyes up close. The SC600 switch will never accidently activate in your pocket but the SC60 may. You may have to twist the SC60 tailcap to lock the light out. Personally, I've never had this issue but others complain about it. Both are great choices. 6 brightness levels at your finger tips so you get the proper light for the task. True one handed operation for when your other hand is holding a critical part of a machine and you need to change brightness levels (many lights boast about this but few deliver).

Last edited: