Dead-simple replacement for "classic" flashlight (with drug store batteries)?

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened
Dead-simple replacement for "classic" flashlight (with drug store batteries)?

I was unhitching a trailer at my sister's place the other night when something snagged. I asked her if she had a flashlight, and I couldn't believe what she brought out. It was a plastic, double-D incandescent from the 80s. The light output brought me to laughter. I could not believe what I was looking at a decade after stumbling upon this forum. I cannot allow it to stand--My sis has no love for this stuff, but she needs a proper "around the house" torch.

Size is not a concern (as long as it's not bigger than the ol' double-D), but simplicity is. I'm hoping to find a 2xAA rig that will regulate the output, but doesn't have multiple output settings...eg, I want a torch with an on/off switch that takes batteries you can buy anywhere, but I'd like it to stay constantly bright even when the batteries are low (moon mode would be great). Brighter/cheaper is better, of course...Throw isn't a big concern. I'd like to stay around $50 or $100 for this thing. Are neutral-white LEDs common these days? That would be great.

Any favorites? Most of the ones that seem to fit the bill scroll through several output modes with the on/off switch...I'm trying to avoid that.

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
Re: Dead-simple replacement for "classic" flashlight (with drug store batteries)?

How about a multi mode light that turns on in med? The Xeno E03 imo is a great around the house light. The NW tint imo is great. And I think the med/lo/hi is great for people that dont know/dont want to learn how to use a light.

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dead-simple replacement for "classic" flashlight (with drug store batteries)?

Pretty cool, I don't know that thing existed. Starting in medium might be fine, I would prefer a larger torch, if possible. The Inova X2 is in the running, but I'm not sure how the high/low modes work, and the "patented 3-way switch" is already a bit more complex than I'd like.

It is possible I'm over-thinking this.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why large?

The Fenix E05 is dead simple, twisty head on/off, no other features, 27 lumens, all flood, nice tint, lasts about 3 hours on a single alkaline AAA battery,and is about the size of your pinky finger.
It doesn't get any simpler, but it's small. I didn't see small as a problem.

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened

I think a AAA light will got lost in the ol' house toolbox pretty quick. The last thing I want to do is try and change the behavior of the operator...

tygger

Enlightened

I'd say get her a Fenix EO1 for they keychain. Put in a lithium AAA. It should last forever and the battery won't leak.

For house light, go to a big box store and get a two pack LED Stanley, Eveready, Craftsman, etc. If she won't use lithium AA batteries, don't go with anything expensive cause eventually the batteries will leak. At least this way she'll have a spare.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just replace the bulb in her existing light with a $5 Dorcy 3v pr led bulb.

There's no point in spending real money on a light that she won't appreciate and she's already demonstrated that she can keep track of this particular light for at least 20 years...

If you really want to buy her a new light, just get her a simple 2AA single-mode light in the 20-40 lumen range. Just get something with a real clicky and not some cheap switch.

--flatline

Last edited:

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened

Well, everyone can appreciate output. I don't need a powerhouse, but I'd like a reliable light. I've purchased several cheapo LED torches that simply died inexplicably after a year. That's something I definitely want to avoid. I'd also like to avoid the chronic dim, low-battery flashlight that most people have. I'm happy to spend the money, I'm just trying to avoid a situation where she prefers her old light because it's simpler, even if it's damn near useless.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

2C or 2D Mag-lite with a Malkoff drop-in for Mag-Lite.
You'll need to get the right serial number type Mag-Lite(which is shown on Malkoff's site), and you need to slightly modify the reflector, or buy the modified reflector from Malkoff, so it fits.
Plenty of output, plenty of durability, drug store batteries, simple on/off side switch, nice and big.

Last edited:

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened

I've thought about the Malg-lite. You never know when you'll need to club a bear. I'll have to see how tricky it is to get together.

The Fenix E21 is 2xAA, on/off tach switch, and has a simple high/low rotator switch. $35 at Amazon. Might be just the ticket (if I can make sure it has the neutral white LED...I guess if it doesn't say R2 it's neutral...?).

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened

The new rayovac indestructible 2aa. 100lm has a reverse tail clicky with high and low,pretty decent throw, $14.95 at Home Depot. I got one for my 76 year old mother before Hurricane Irene hit. She loves it and can operate it just fine.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait until black friday and get her a 3-mode LED MiniMag. Last year they were on sale for something like $10. That's an excellent light for $10...

--flatline

AvroArrow

Enlightened

Just replace the bulb in her existing light with a $5 Dorcy 3v pr led bulb.

+1 if her existing flashlight uses a PR base bulb.

Here's a link to the bulb in question. I bought a few from Sears Canada but I assume you can probably buy it from Sears USA. I swapped the bulbs in a couple of 2D plastic incans at my parents' house and it was quite the eye opener. They had mostly dead cells that barely lit up the incan bulb that fired up the LED bulbs fine, relatively bright too (a bit of purple & green tint on the 2 I got). The best part is that it will run for hours and hours on 2 alkaline D cells. And it's something they are already familiar with and have no difficulty changing the batteries for (compared to the Lux3 modded 3D Mag I gave them previously, the spring is really stiff in the 3D mag which makes it hard for my mother to screw the tailcap back on).