New JetBeam PA40

tam17

Enlightened
Hi jbp7hl, and welcome to CPF!:)

New version of PA40 with SMO reflector is already being discussed in this thread (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Is it neutral or cool white? How do you like it? Any beamshots to share?

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
Not really discussed...one person reported it, and then...nothing.

I'd love to know if this is the new model or what. Seems like it, but...?

jbp7hl

Newly Enlightened
It is new. Just received it from going gear. Box says JetBeam PA40 XM-L SMO

It's my first real light, so I don't have alot to compare it to. But it's pretty dang awesome.

It's cool white. Very pure looking white. No greens or purple shades.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PA40 in 'neutral' with the OP reflector. I'd like to see how the beam profile differs between the two, but I don't know if anyone has both yet.

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
I also just received one of these and what a nice light! It's ergonomics is excellent and it just feels very nice in hand. The battery indicator is also awesome and something I believe MANY lights lack unfortunately. Sad thing is this light will be passed on to my folks as I bought it for them as a present to use around the house. I'm sure they will be thoroughly impressed by it.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also just received one of these and what a nice light! It's ergonomics is excellent and it just feels very nice in hand. The battery indicator is also awesome and something I believe MANY lights lack unfortunately. Sad thing is this light will be passed on to my folks as I bought it for them as a present to use around the house. I'm sure they will be thoroughly impressed by it.

I'm going to be setting mine aside as a general use 'house' light as well. It's overall output, multimodes, and the fact that it runs off of AA's makes it a very user friendly light for my wife and kids to grab in an emergency. I'll be getting myself a BC40 as a replacement.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these too...the warm version. Just seeking the best deal and CPF discount code...

The high of 468 lms is nice, but the 2 lms low is just as appealing.

MrLi

Newly Enlightened
I have one, not the neutral version and it has the orange peel reflector. I love the output.

Used it to light my apartment nicely during the power outage on the second highest mode. Kept it mostly for indoor use so far, cause it's bit bulky to carry out (for my use).

My primary reason for it is that it runs off AAs. Works great as my "larger" backup light.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
I would like to know if the smooth reflector has better throw then then OP reflector originally offered.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these too...the warm version. Just seeking the best deal and CPF discount code...

The high of 468 lms is nice, but the 2 lms low is just as appealing.

Be aware that the neutral version has the new 'multicolor' beam profile... The hotspot is basically pure white, but the corona is yellow fading to a light green. The spill tends to be purplish/bluish. As far as I can tell from my research here, the purplishness in it is from the anti-reflective coating on the lens.

That said, for my PA40 I don't mind it that much because my use for it is pretty much exclusively for outdoors types of activities, and the tint variations aren't nearly as noticeable then, so I find it perfectly acceptable. The new 'neutral' Preon 2 I just got has the same tinting variation in it, but I despise it since my use for that light would have been primarily as an EDC light, and the tint really puts me off.

As nice as it is, I'd like the PA40 even better if it were a little warmer though... I went for a late night walk a few days ago and took my PA40 along, and now that it's cold there was a lot of smoke in the air from people's fireplaces, and I got a lot of glare. I think if the tint was warmer, it wouldn't have been as much of a problem.

tangstrong

Newly Enlightened
I have a smo PA40,but from my observation,the beam's core is a little dark,is this common with smo flashlight?If anybody has both of them,which do you like better,op or smo?