Which reflector for Malkoff Device

Byronski

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to CPF and the world of flashlights. I hope someone can help me. I have a 3D maglite and recently purchaced a Malkoff drop in device which produces 260 OTF lumens which is stunning. The only flaw is the reflector which needs to be cut down to allow the drop in to fit. Problem is that the reflector was for the old incandescent bulb and I believe the throw can be better with a better reflector. My question is simply this does anyone know what kind of reflector produces the best throw and where I can buy it.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! I have the same drop in in a 2D mag running on 2 IMR 26650 batteries I got both a smooth, and orange peel aluminum reflector from Kaidomain.com. Smooth is SKU: S006165 and the orange peel is SKU: S004023 . I spent 2 nights going back and forth between the 2 and settled on the orange peel. It gives a nice smooth beam that throws as far as the smooth. They also have removable cams, so they are perfect for the Malkoff. $15 though.

tolkaze

Enlightened
I just recently upgraded most of my modded mags to aluminium reflectors. In my opinion, the smooth Kaidomain reflector (with removeable Cam) throws roughly the same as the stock reflector with the cut off cam. The beam pattern certainly looks about the same. The OP reflectors also throw really well and have a nicer beam, but it is harder to find that sweet spot because of the fuzzy edges of the beam.

For the Malkoff, you are probably best off keeping the stock reflector with cut Cam, mine used to throw perfectly anyway, there is maybe a 1% increase. The main benefit of going for the Al reflectors is that you don't have to worry about heat at all, and you don't have to mod the reflector in any way.

The only way you will get significant throw would probably be to get a deeper, wider head with reflector (maybe a 2.5 inch throwmaster or similar) but at 260 lumens it may not be worth all the extra cash for the small amount of extra light. You may have limited success with a rebel reflector (if you can find one) since they are deeper, but I do not know if the dropin will fit in a rebel body/head, or if the reflector will work at all. maybe someone else can chime in about the rebel reflector

My personal set ups now have either a smooth or OP al reflector and UCL lens and they seem to be fine.