Help me pick a light(s) for my DAD

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
just talked to my dad tonight, he lives in the sticks and the lights going out is fairly common. he told me he uses those cheap walmart lights that use the big square (6volt?) batteries.

my mind started working and i couldn't come up with anything better cause my dad said they're cheap and the batteries last him a while. he also uses the same type battery for his deer feeders.

i kinda felt embarassed to be a member of this site and not come up with a better, and as cheap, idea for my pops.
frown.gif

so i need everybodys help. is there something better out there for him to use? he won't spend much and he did mention that he stands them on end so they light up the room. run time has to be pretty good. i believe he has three of these lights for when the power is out.

comments/suggestions welcome.

rycen

Enlightened
How about a surge and for when the power goes out a florescent of some type.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
a surge would be a good outside light for him to carry to the shed.

i thnk it's going to be tough to impress him with a light when the ones he has work and they're so cheap. or so he says.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
He's probably right, those will run all night and most of the next and at wally world the batts. can be had for $1.99 or lights w/batts for $3.99. So he's not a flashaholic, that's what makes us different.
"It's time we celebrated our differences." come back "Yes but not in public." 'A NIGHTS TALE'

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by freewheelin':
He's probably right, those will run all night and most of the next and at wally world the batts. can be had for $1.99 or lights w/batts for $3.99. So he's not a flashaholic, that's what makes us different.
"It's time we celebrated our differences." come back "Yes but not in public." 'A NIGHTS TALE'
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that quote made me chuckle. yeah, he's not a nut like us. oh well.

yeah, i thought it was funny that the light was cheaper than the batteries. for his use it fits the bill, and if he drops it, so what?

i think for father's day or next x-mas i'll get him a good rechargable like a stinger XT HP or ultrastinger if i find out he can really use it. the only rechargables he's had were the cheapo ones where the plug/charger is IN the light.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl-

I can think of many better solutions. Initial investment is important to users. Sure a couple of cheap Eveready flourescants are good but have no throw. There are several cheap torches that are better than what he is using, but no flooding. Rechargable is even more dollar-wise. Now what about the cost of the charger?

What I'm talking about is initial cash outlay for the lights needed. I think Dad's solution is one of the worst. However, for him it is the best. For $12.00 he's good to go with three lights. It's probably cheaper to buy a light with a bat than a 6V bat for that light. When the light wears the bat down, the deer feeder will eat it.

No matter how many excellent suggestions you get, it could be that he can just drive a few miles, plunk down 10 bucks and change, get his lights and take a buck...and that is what he is most interested in.

*edit*
freewheelin was thinkin' along the same lines.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
It sure is hard to beat the value of those 6V lanterns. However, if you want to introduce him to some newer technology you could get him a Streamlight Propolymer 3C. Ten white LEDs for a nice white flood light and great runtime. A Photon II for his keychain is always a good idea. I'd better stop now..I could go on and on...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also give him a LightWave 4000 or Eternalight for some insanely long runtime on a single set of batteries... You can also get him an Energizer Arc-White with CCFL and Xenon... All 3 of these, I believe, can stand on end or side and are capable of illuminating a room with light thrown to a wall...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by FalconFX:
You can also give him a LightWave 4000 or Eternalight for some insanely long runtime on a single set of batteries... You can also get him an Energizer Arc-White with CCFL and Xenon... All 3 of these, I believe, can stand on end or side and are capable of illuminating a room with light thrown to a wall...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">will these have longer run times and cheaper batteries? i've seen these lights mentioned here but i'm not familiar with them.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightWave 4000 will give you almost Arc-LS type light to Arc-AAA light for 80+ hours on 3 D batteries...
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/lw4000.htm

EternaLight can last up to 1200+ hours on 3 Lithium AA batteries, 800+ hours on 3 alkaline AAs, and that's 800+ hours of bright/near bright light...
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/eterna.htm

The Arc-White's xenon bulb is similar in brightness to the SureFire E2e and Legend LX, and its CCFL is great for general area illumination. The flourescent lasts about 7 hours on 4AAs, and the xenon about 4-5 hours...
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/arc.htm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I also forgot to mention if you're going for insane runtimes is the Expedition 50:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/tek2.htm

500 hours of runtime on 3C batteries... If you need a light that will let you stretch your batteries to beyond asylum times, then this is it...

One time, I stuck new batteries in there, and left it running during school winter vacation. When I came back, I found the light still as bright as new. It was amazing, as it was running continuously through 17 straight days.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
If you want to go whole hawg Tactical Warehouse is selling CPF members 2 Tigerlights for $189.99 w/free ship. That way you get one too if you don't need a Tigerlight yorself maybe someone would split the order with ya (hint, hint). These are the 8 inch non dispensing versions, I don't have one yet but it'll be my first rechargable.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by freewheelin':
If you want to go whole hawg Tactical Warehouse is selling CPF members 2 Tigerlights for $189.99 w/free ship. That way you get one too if you don't need a Tigerlight yorself maybe someone would split the order with ya (hint, hint). These are the 8 inch non dispensing versions, I don't have one yet but it'll be my first rechargable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">aw crap! just ordered one, it's on the way. think Dan will make this retroactive?
frown.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i'm gonna by another FBOP and take advantage.

i had an infinity government model and didn't care for it. the fit, finish was below average and the beam was off center. for the same $$'s you can get an arc aaa.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
FalconFX, you must have gotten a good tek. I had to of the CC Extremes (same thing), and the LED started strobing in the than 30 minutes of use on each of them. Second one was replacement for first one. I had a friend tear it apart to find out what happened and fix it, if possible (thinking of cold solder joint). He told me that the LED cracked open. I never dropped it, or the other one, either. I haven't touched a light made by Tektite since then.