Peak Output - Skeptical

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting a little skeptical of the "peak output" numbers of massive lumens that are published by various manufacturers. Sure, they are higher than we generally get in the field with real-world batteries and conditions, but I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about a headlamp that has, say, 200 lumen output -- WOW -- for 20 minutes -- not wow. I don't care too much what the top lumen count is, if it can't sustain that number for a couple hours to get the job done. What I'm starting to do is look at the second or third brightness level to make my decision to buy or not, based on that. How bright can it be for 2, 4, 6 hours?

With handhelds, I can understand the usefulness of a brief flash of massive light. But for a headlamp? They're not for spotting, they're for seeing. Once my eyes get used to 200, stepping down to a sustainable 50 is a disappointment; eyes must adjust. So I'm starting to get jaded with these high-lumen-low-runtime numbers on headlamps, even though I value them on handhelds. Infrequently do I need a headlamp to give me a brief high power burst. MOST of the time I need my headlamp to give me long, sustainable output.

Perhaps I'm in the minority on this.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not in the minority in how you use headlamps you might be in the minority if you are surprised that you don't get 200 lumen for 2 hours (depends on the light of course).

If it's regulated you will get it until it falls out of regulation (when ever that is) and if it's not it does what a flashlight does...gradually decreases but since you eyes slowly adjust to the new level as well I don't see it as being a big problem.

I never plan to use a flashlight or headlamp on high for a long duration. The more you care about a certain output level the more you should look for a regulated light but then you have to live with a shorter runtime...it's a trade-off.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Basically the potential user should be more concerned about a power source than the headlamp itself...

PT-APEX - 200 lumens for about 3:30-3:40h on 4 good quality NiMH's (207g with battery holder) - but what you are expecting from 12Wh ?
PT APEX - 200 lumens for about 12:40-13:00h on 2 medium quality Li-Poll cells (276g no battery holder) - but you have more than 42Wh in backpack :thumbsup:
apexlipo.jpg

All classically powered headlamps (AA, AAA, CR123) are at the end of their road... :sigh: