Any suggestions for a long lasting rechargeable hid?

Dave0549jv

Newly Enlightened
Hello forum! I'm new here, and I could use some flashlight wisdom. I'm the first mate on a bulk cargo
ship on the great lakes, and it's my responsibility to make sure the cargo holds are clean. Its dark, and
there are a ton of little nooks and crannies to inspect. I have a cheap and cheesy Stanley rechargeable
handheld hid that works well, but only lasts about 10 minutes in the real world.

I never have to see more than about 75 feet, and it doesn't need to be a zillion candlepower, but it
would be nice if I could get a good hour of run time before I have to recharge it.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!

tpopz2908

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like an LED application to me. There are tons of LED's that will meet your runtime requirement(and more) with a smoother beam than HID, and produce a ton of useable light. However, if it's HID you want for sure, check out the AE Xenide lights.

I've used several HID's in "real world" conditions, but the xenide is pretty tough. I've got one that is 3 years old and gets abused like an old maglight, but it still keeps going. Get a spare battery pack and you can have several hours of bright light without recharging.

BVH

Flashaholic
If you want HID, look at the Titanium Innovations N30. About the same output as the Stanley and a good hour of run time.

ww.batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html

Dave0549jv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a ton for your suggestions guys, I never thought there was so much to know about flashlights... Haha.

After a little more research, Ive decided to refine my search criteria. The light I'm using now is about 550 lumens, which is adequate. I'd like something at least as powerful. It looks like LED lights are my best bet for battery life, so I'm leaning that way. I'd also like something rechargeable. I don't really want to have to worry about carrying extra batteries around, and I don't really want to spend an additional 45 bucks on batteries and a charger. I'm hoping for a fairly focused beam too. It doesn't need to be a laser, but I'm definitely looking for more spot and less flood.

Lastly, I don't want to spend any more than 150$ on it. I had no idea you could pay thousands of dollars for something like this! Good lord! Haha

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'd appreciate any more you might have!

tpopz2908

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea you could pay thousands of dollars for something like this! Good lord! Haha

Oh yea! Lights have become highly specialized tools, even for the masses, with thousands of options available. Keep refining your search and you will end up with a light that will be perfect for the job. Lumens and budget are just the start these days, consider beam pattern, form factor, battery type, user interface and emitter/bulb tint.

Tint is something often overlooked but can have a profound effect on the usability of the light. I've got some guys on my crew who won't use anything but incandescent lights because they like the warm tint for outdoor use. You may want something more neutral or ?

Good luck and have fun.

Kilted

Enlightened
YES! Brand new on the market; SWM-V60C: http://www.sunwayman.com/?fproduct/l2/i59 and http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?255095-SUNWAYMAN-V60C-T6-first-rechargeable-model!

Review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ime-beamshots-pics-)&highlight=sunwayman+v60c

Vendors;
http://goinggear.com/flashlights/fl...8-lumen-rechargeable-variable-flashlight.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayman-v60c.html

You will need the charger also, About $35

And you will need 3x18650's 3100ma Redilast http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-Made-in-Japan-Korea!&highlight=RediLast+3100

Overall you will spend about $260+ dollars, can you stretch your budget?

The flashlight has a tight beam 'thrower' with decent side spill. It has the charger, run time, and throw you asked for plus it has variable output. I have worn the light on a belt with the supplied holster and it is large but not uncomfortable. The only problem I have is with the placement of the lanyard attachment. I added a beading cord double loop that attaches to the light and the lanyard clips in the loop, the loop gives the lanyard clip more freedom of movement, the loop comes off to charge.

There is a caveat the charge contacts are exposed at the base. Any time they get wet with salt spray they will need to be rinsed in fresh water dried. Other wise a water resistant plug will need to be found for the center contact. I have not had any problems with the open charge contacts.

Bottom line the SWM-V60C meets all your requirement's except price.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

Dave0549jv

Newly Enlightened
I think you're right xul, and I think I'm gonna stretch the budget just enough to include the light that kilted suggested. I think that's going to work perfectly for what I need. It's even a nice handy size. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your patience with such a noob!

I've seen a few people mention that exposed charging connection as a drawback. Would it really hurt if it got wet? What sort of cap could I get for it?

tpopz2908

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm gonna stretch the budget just enough to include the light that kilted suggested.

And so it begins ;)

I'm waiting on my V60c, should be here in the next day or so. Love the SWM's, this will be my 3rd light from them. Goofy name, great products.

Kilted

Enlightened
I think you're right xul, and I think I'm gonna stretch the budget just enough to include the light that kilted suggested. I think that's going to work perfectly for what I need. It's even a nice handy size. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your patience with such a noob!

I've seen a few people mention that exposed charging connection as a drawback. Would it really hurt if it got wet? What sort of cap could I get for it?

Dave,

Not to worry to much. You are on the Great Lakes so salt air is not likely to be a problem. The way the contact assembly is built water drains from the sides and the pool on the center contact just stands there an little shake and it is gone. What may happen over time will be dirty build up around the bottom contacts. Plain water and soft brush should take care of it.

With salt water or a bit of conductive dirt your battery will have a leakage current across the contacts, this will cause your battery to go dead quicker just like a car. Keeping the bottom clean will take care of it. Submerged in salt water electrolysis will start which will discharge the battery and erode the contact, clean with plain water and dry. Be-careful about using detergents those could wash the lube out of the control ring.

I have been looking for a vinyl plug to fit in the central anode. Did not find one yet.

OK that's your work flashlight, need a EDC?

=D~~ Kilted

JulianP

Enlightened
It looks like LED lights are my best bet for battery life, so I'm leaning that way. I'd also like something rechargeable. I don't really want to have to worry about carrying extra batteries around, and I don't really want to spend an additional 45 bucks on batteries and a charger. I'm hoping for a fairly focused beam too. It doesn't need to be a laser, but I'm definitely looking for more spot and less flood.

Lastly, I don't want to spend any more than 150$ on it. I had no idea you could pay thousands of dollars for something like this! Good lord! Haha

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'd appreciate any more you might have!

Dave, the more you research the subject, the less likely you will find the perfect flashlight. I've been down that path, and like many CPF members, I've ended up with a shelf full of flashlights in different shapes and sizes. My 800+lumen XML-T6 LED will not out-throw my 320 lumen XRE-R2 LED with an aspheric lens. (Something to do with the LEDs'surface brightness, optics etc). My HIDs outflood the XML-T6 anytime, anywhere. They weigh much more, and won't last as long...plus, there's no real 'low' setting on HIDs, so they can't be used to look for that small screw that fell under the desk. None will fit in your pocket, though Ma sha1 is trying hard to get there.

For your purposes, I suggest starting with a Solarforce XML-T6 for a few dollars, and yes, the dreaded Li ion rechargeable batteries + charger. On max brightness, the battery will last 2.5hrs, and on 10% brightness it will last 25hrs. I used to travel with flashlights and chargers, but now I only take a spare battery. When the trip is less than one week, I don't even need to swap the battery. Of course, battery life will depend on one's use, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I've purchased cheaper flashlights, but most have turned out poorly made, poorly engineered, and unreliable. Starting from the bottom, Solarforce is the first decent entry level brand. After that, they get better, fancier, and exponentially more expensive.
:candle:

tpopz2908

Newly Enlightened
...... the more you research the subject, the less likely you will find the perfect flashlight.

I can see where finding "the perfect light" could be an expensive, never-ending quest. However, finding the perfect light for a specific task or job requires a bit of research, but is doable. Putting in some time reading reviews and comparing specs has probably saved me quite a bit of money in the long run. But I'm not a full-blown addict......yet...... the urge to buy the newest and brightest really only hits me when the days start getting short. :)

Dave0549jv

Newly Enlightened
Well after further deliberation and research, I bit went ahead with the v60c. I think it'll be a huge improvement over what I have been using. Thanks again for all of your help, everybody

Kilted

Enlightened
Well after further deliberation and research, I bit went ahead with the v60c. I think it'll be a huge improvement over what I have been using. Thanks again for all of your help, everybody

Dave, your welcome. Please come back and let us know how the V60C worked out.

=D~~ Kilted

Dave0549jv

Newly Enlightened
oh boy oh boy oh boy, I think it's gonna be at the mailboat waiting for me in a few short hours =) haha