need a bright 2xcr123 edc with good throw

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys and gals. Since recently joining this forum I have aquired a tk35, bc20, and sr51. Well now I feel like I want tk35 performance in a smaller edc package. Since I have a stockpile of cr123 I would like a light that runs on 2, similar to my bc20, but with lots more oomph. I would like the deft edc because of throw. but it doesn't run on cr123. So my next choice is thrunite scorpion v2 with turbohead. Is ther a light out there that runs on 2 cr123 that outperforms the scorpion? Preferably in terms of throw and must not have a huge head. Thnx.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to CPF, Chozzehnwahn.
One light I like is the Inova T1, but I don't know if it will have the throw you want, for more throw you need the bigger head.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys and gals. Since recently joining this forum I have aquired a tk35, bc20, and sr51. Well now I feel like I want tk35 performance in a smaller edc package. Since I have a stockpile of cr123 I would like a light that runs on 2, similar to my bc20, but with lots more oomph. I would like the deft edc because of throw. but it doesn't run on cr123. So my next choice is thrunite scorpion v2 with turbohead. Is ther a light out there that runs on 2 cr123 that outperforms the scorpion? Preferably in terms of throw and must not have a huge head. Thnx.

how about the 700+ lumen SC600? Not too much of a thrower, but extremely bright for a edc light. Another is the Olight i6, if you dont mind its head, then that might be the edc thrower you are looking for. At least the head of this Olight is smaller than the Quark Turbo X. Fenix Tk21 U2 might also be worth taking a look at.

Its hard to get a compromise between size of the head and high lumens, usually the high lumens XML lights have big heads to compensate the large LED to give it throw, so for smaller lights with deep reflectors for throw, the LED of choice should be at least an XPG-R5 Led. One such example is the Lumintop L2C, but that tops out at 300+ lumens, which is i believe the absolute maximum XPG's can run.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the sc600 is the opposite of what you want. Must be a killer light though, given how it comes up even in roles where it doesn't seem to be a good fit. Depending on what the op means by "huge head", I think the Armytek predator is still the throw king in this class...

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I have bought and tried many 2xCR123 lights as I like powerful throwers. When I bought my Armytek Predator and used it the first time I realised that it was the daddy. Forget more lumens, Scorpion 2 with Turbo Force head? Sold it straight away as it is a floody light that only throws because of it's sheer power. I just bought a Lumapower DMini VX with the XP-E R2 led from Ricky at Lumapower, again a very good thrower with 250-300 lumens and I think just about the most lux you can get with a light this size? Big Chelis is the man with the lux figures and he mentioned the Lumapower D Mini.

I have just ordered a Solarforce Skyline which is a dedicated 2x123 thrower, good value but will have to see if it can throw 300m with it's 300 lumens.

I just can't beat my Armytek as the best light I have come across for my personal needs. Takes 18650, cr123, rcr123, rcr16340, hell it probably takes 18350's as well, I will give them a go. It is super selectable with a very, very low bottom output, looks classy in Black and Gold, will go on the rifle, it even has three types of current regulation to choose from. Just make sure you buy the one with the tight beam and smooth reflector.

I listened to the people on these forums and learnt that lights that throw well have small led's and large reflectors, personally I would not look at XM-L LED lights in this size of light as they are primarily floody lights.

Peace, out.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the sc600 is the opposite of what you want. Must be a killer light though, given how it comes up even in roles where it doesn't seem to be a good fit. Depending on what the op means by "huge head", I think the Armytek predator is still the throw king in this class...

Very nice! Perfect example of a tight thrower! Based on their website, there are only three models? R5, R4 and CRI=90? Kinda expensive though. Any comparison with this and the Xeno G42? Was told that was the throwing champ, and the G42 recently upgraded to XML T6 in its V2 variant.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
For throwing purposes in general the XP-G lights will out throw the XM-L's but the Xm-L can be driven harder to give more brute power output. Perhaps the T20C2 MKII with the S2 emitter?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
For throwing purposes in general the XP-G lights will out throw the XM-L's but the Xm-L can be driven harder to give more brute power output. Perhaps the T20C2 MKII with the S2 emitter?

Really? Coz i know for the same reflector size, the XPG will outthrow the XML, but XML's with good reflectors will outthrow XPG's coz XPG's are limited by their lumen rating.

I own an S2 Quark, not really much of a thrower, more of a flooder. But the tint makes it good during fogs and heavy rain.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you read my whole post.

1. The Xm-l lends itself to primarily be a floodier beam... but the ability to be driven harder (3A rating) it can overcome that with sheer lumen output vs. XP-g
2. A quark reflector is not at all shaped for throw... I have an R5 Quark Mini but IIRC the quarks use a pretty small/shallowish head...neither of which are good for throw...
3. The TC20 MKII has a larger/deeper reflector which should be better for suited throw.

In equal lights..with equal power.... equal drive and all that crap the XP-G should out throw the Xm-L

aimxplode

Enlightened
I have to agree with everyone else recommending the Armytek Predator. With its deep reflector, it throws almost as far as my 8x AA TK41, my TK41 only wins because of size and brute force. Armytek is definitely the way to go, awesome light.

varmint

Enlightened
I recently went through this also and got a Thrunite TN11 I could not be more pleased with it, the throw is fantastic and runtime very good also, I would highly advise the TN11, look at it!

davyro

Enlightened
I also have a Thrunite TN11 & it's got great throw ability on 2 cr123's but seen as you've got a stockpile of these batteries you'll be pleased to
hear that you get a free extension tube with the TN11 so in my opinion its the perfect light for you
P.S the throw is really really good you wouldn't be dissapointed