Decent flashlights in your local store.

AutoTech

Enlightened
When are the rest of the public going to catch up to the decent LED world?

Just got me thinking today.. I went to my local DIY store (b&q in uk) and I know they stock a cree equipped range of lights so I wandered over for a look (as you do)

They have a reasonably large area for flashlights, below is a quick list from memory..

B&Q branded 5mm led lights
B&Q branded AA incans
Various AA inans
Maglite AA incan
Maglite C incan
Maglite D incan
AP pro cree 3xaaa
AP pro cree 2xaa
AP pro cree 3xc
AP pro cree 6v spotlight
Various cheap yellow xx million candle power incan spotlights

The interesting thing was the maglite hooks were all empty apart from one aa maglite, the c and d maglite hooks were bare. The AP pro hooks were stocked. It got me thinking about all the people that will just go to that area and see the maglite and pick it up and go. The AP pro lights are actually really nice little lights, I've got 2 of the AA lights and they are flood to throw and I've abused them for a couple of years and they've served me well. I'm sure most people wouldn't know what hit them if they fired up one of the AP pro c cell cree lights.

I had my xeno E03 xm-l (running 14500) on me the other day at a family gathering, I showed my father in law (he's into flashlights) and he was loving it. He turned the light off in the lounge and enthusiastically showed everyone in there, it literally lit the room up amazingly. My mrs' uncle totally dismissed the light and actually said "my d cell maglite is better, maglite make the best lights in the world"

I suppose the only time most are going to see the light is when led maglites are stocked totally replacing their incans.

I actually can't believe that shops stock some of these AA incan lights, honestly some of them give off about as much light as the GITD ring in my xeno, lol. I suppose it's more that I can't believe people buy these poor lights, the shops only stock what people buy.

To me it's like a display of steak knives for sale and nobody buying the Sharp ones!

Is there any shops around the world that actually stock the decent brands of lights? ie fenix, 4sevens, thrunite, sunwayman, zebralight etc etc?

I'm almost glad they're not available on the shelf here as I'd be skint.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you're saying, and I do love my LED lights, but to be fair, you do understand why people believe Maglites are the best in the world? It's because they've had one for 30 years (like me), and it still works, even though it's been beat up, thrown in the back of the truck, slapped around by bears, used as a hammer, and generally abused in so many ways that it's actually silly to think that it still works after 30 years ....... but it does.

So, yes, flashlight technology has certainly evolved, but trust and respect has to be earned, and while LEDs put out some major light compared to those old incandescents, they're going to have to prove themselves out in the real world for a while before folks will accept them like their faithful old, dim Maglite.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Yeah, I do understand the maglite thing. It's not just maglites, it's all the other rubbish out there. All these really poor incans or 5mm led lights, are manufacturers not approaching the stores with nice lights? It just seems strange to me that we don't really get offered a high quality product on the high street. It's pretty much a strange online only world of high quality options. There's not many other tools like it.

I wish maglite would push their led lights on the uk stores. It'd be nice to see their XL series about, it might make the stores wake up a bit and offer more alternative cree lights. I wouldn't be able to resist picking up an xl200 if it was in front of me.

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
Around here, a few sporting goods stores (the hunting and fishing kind) carry Surefire (usually a G2 or E1b) and Streamlight. Every store I've been in that carries even a few flashlights carries Maglite. REI carries about 4 different models of smaller Fenix lights and some locations carry Surefire (6PX and G2X). So of the "real" flashlight brands, the only ones I've ever actually seen in a store are Maglite, Surefire, Fenix, and Streamlight.

If someone local carried a good selection of Fenix, Surefire, Jetbeam, 4Sevens, Eagletac, etc., I'd spend a lot of money there.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
REI by me carries Fenix handhelds now.
And more name brand headlamps.

Campmor(local camping store) carries SF headlamps and other top brand headlamps.
And nicer energizer handhelds.

EMS carries your typical assortment of headlamps and handhelds from name brand.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
usually survival and tactics stores have those next generation lights. I've seen some UK-based sellers in ebay, not sure if they have a physical shop in the UK though. If you're worried about the light you will be purchasing, do check out the threads here and reviews before making your purchase. that's exactly what i do too since most of lights you mentioned arent sold here locally.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I don't bother looking for torches in shops anymore, all I see is overpriced maglites and junk. Retailers must make a fortune on maglites, I swear they're selling them for 1000% mark up (probably more than that).
But I think some of the budget brands would sell quite well in shops (if the retailer doesn't put a ridiculous sticker price on them), they'd offer a good balance of quality, lumens, and cost to the average person, brands such as romisen and the XXXXfires.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I got a Energizer lithium 2AA, really likes it. They come with a XR-E and XP-E. I really lieos the UI too. A bit pricey in Target for it's specs compared to say my eagletac p100a2 which is overall better and costs less.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I know what you're saying, and I do love my LED lights, but to be fair, you do understand why people believe Maglites are the best in the world? It's because they've had one for 30 years (like me), and it still works, even though it's been beat up, thrown in the back of the truck, slapped around by bears, used as a hammer, and generally abused in so many ways that it's actually silly to think that it still works after 30 years ....... but it does.

So, yes, flashlight technology has certainly evolved, but trust and respect has to be earned, and while LEDs put out some major light compared to those old incandescents, they're going to have to prove themselves out in the real world for a while before folks will accept them like their faithful old, dim Maglite.

It's the same phenomena I see with people who won't buy any watch but a Timex. Nothing special about them at this point and for not much more you could wear a G-Shock and/or some low-end auto from Seiko/Citizen.

My local stores carry the usual Maglites...otherwise they have some cheapy Energizer LEDS for less than $10. They put out 8-20 lumens, have 1-3 5mm leds, are usually 1-2 D cell, have good runtimes but a terrible tint and beam profile. They put out an angry purple beam on most occasions.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The value of better lighting is a tough sell via retail. There's no one there to explain how much more is available, in even a $40 light. To explain different form factors, explain finishes, explain lumens. Unless the stock primarily serves a mail order setup (GG & LH), most lights will be obsolete before they are bought.

americanpiegamer188

Newly Enlightened
I work at a store similar to target... We have an 8ft section of flashlights. The ONLY time (except the 1's and 2's) is when there is a power outage or a high threat of an outage. We have a display rack next to the Halloween stuff and only 2 flashlights have sold.

The most expensive we sell are the Energizer headlamps, and some Dorcy LEDs (not sure which ones).

No one buys those, or the maglites. The only ones we sell are the < $5 extremely cheap flashlights. It's funny whenever I use my my Quark Mini CR2 on my keychain and the jaws drop.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I work at a store similar to target... We have an 8ft section of flashlights. The ONLY time (except the 1's and 2's) is when there is a power outage or a high threat of an outage. We have a display rack next to the Halloween stuff and only 2 flashlights have sold.

The most expensive we sell are the Energizer headlamps, and some Dorcy LEDs (not sure which ones).

No one buys those, or the maglites. The only ones we sell are the < $5 extremely cheap flashlights. It's funny whenever I use my my Quark Mini CR2 on my keychain and the jaws drop.

Yeah I work at a local retail store and we have several lights to choose from but what sells most there as well are the super cheap LED's with thin plastic bodies for like $5. We carry 2 LED mag's (3 cell and mini). I've sold one of each... one to my dad and the other to a friend who said... well... for $10 more than the regular mini mag I get a lot more light (Rated for like 70ish lumens). I also love firing up a real nice small light and having people freak out at the light that comes out of it.

Hind

Newly Enlightened

Well said, I agree. There are so many flashlights are available online its overwhelming! A good advertising program was a big help for them too, everybody had one when I was in boy scouts as a kid.

tirod

Newly Enlightened
On the other hand, you can get decent quality and a good service life out of some of the "low price" brands, too. Picked up a Timex chronograph with tachymeter while in Cuba, it was a choice of $58 at the Navex, or $24 and shipping from Campmor. No brainer there, I waited on the barge, and 9 years later it's still my beater watch for EDC. It doesn't run down and need periodic recharging like the Ti Ecodrive, or look as beat up at the new Casio Sliderule. I wear the Timex with a Maratac silicon buckle band, it takes a likin, and ...

Next up, the Streamlight Microstream I got at work, an auto parts supplier. Best clicky I've ever used, and 20 lumens does a good job. I'm only buying a Maratac AAA because it offers 18/1.5/80 lumen switching, and I screws onto the Microstream base.

Why spend 10X the price for something today, when in just months, you can get the same performance for less than $30? Yes, Maglite's still sell, and some people still use flip phones with just a keypad, or tear open clamshell packages with their teeth. You can't help someone who doesn't want it.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a generic branded flashlight a couple of weeks ago from an auto store (Supercheap Auto) and it's not bad for the money ($34). It's endowed with and XP-E emitter, runs on 2 AA's, has flood to zoom capabilities and looks quite pretty. Current draw at the tailcap was around 190ma (on two fresh eneloops) if I remember correctly and puts OTF about 50-60 lumens by the looks of it, package claimed 78 lumens and an 8 hour runtime soninthink they're being mostly honest.

It will also ramp down to 10% of maximum brightness (and anywhere in between), but the PWM is almost nauseating. It's alright if you don't move too fast. Claimed IPX6 water resistance and came lubed with some half decent O-rings.

It will make a good loaner light.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Sure I agree... I'm not bashing Timex... but just relating it to how people feel about Maglite... that since it's what they know... that's all they are willing to try. :)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same phenomena I see with people who won't buy any watch but a Timex. Nothing special about them at this point and for not much more you could wear a G-Shock and/or some low-end auto from Seiko/Citizen.

That's me. I've been through quite a few G's & Seiko divers before discovering I actually prefer the $20 basic drugstore casios for a number of (off topic) reasons. Slowly gravitating toward that mindset with flashlights too. I just end up getting more satisfaction from budget lights, & selling the expensive ones.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Yeah... one of my more favorite lights as of late is a Romisen from shiningbeam.... 1xaa form factor (although not sized as an EDC) with a warm/neutral emitter. Solid build...one mode.... prolly like 50-60 OTF but with a deep shallow head it'll throw surprisingly well. My quark cost more and puts out more light but is becoming more secondary as I prefer the neutral tint.

clusterfunk

Newly Enlightened
I moved to Abu Dhabi just over a year ago as a contractor. I was surprised to see how into flashlights they are here. EVERY electronics store has so many lights to choose from. They look and feel like quality too. Unfortunately I have a great light already and in an attempt so save my wallet, I havnt taken down the brands and models of any of them. I will get the brands soon enough to share with you guys. The prices of these lights hint quality as well. We shall see.