Fenix TK70 review - impressions, pictures, beamshots

dheim

Newly Enlightened
The TK70 is a 4xD (NiMH – recommended - or Alkaline, but can run even on 3 cells, removing part of the body) torch with 3 Cree XM-L LEDs. It sounds definitely impressive on paper, but believe me, even pictures are not enough to give a real idea of how MASSIVE is the new monster light from Fenix. Big, bad, heavy, ugly and shaped exactly like something you could find behind Darth Vader's toilet in a Star Wars movie (imperial toilet sucker TS-1)... How could I not fall in love with this thing?

IMG_9771_resize.jpg

IMG_9802_resize.jpg

IMG_9803_resize.jpg

IMG_9797_resize.jpg

size comparison: from left to right, fenix TK70 (4xD), led lenser P17 (3xD), fenix TK41 (8xAA), fenix TK45 (8xAA), led lenser M14 (4xAA), AA cell

The UI is simple and user friendly, thanks to the two electronic buttons mounted just behind the cooling fins, one to switch the light ON/OFF and another to cycle modes. Double clicking the ON/OFF button activates strobe modes, that can be changed – again – with the mode button (cycling among stunning strobe, beacon and SOS). The "ordinary" modes are 4:

• Low: 20 lm (168 h). no moonlight mode, but honestly I can't imagine anyone using the TK70 to go to bathroom at night or to read a book, so less lumens would have made no sense.
  • Medium: 300 lm (15 h). more than most torches on the market, and I think that an intermediate level could have been useful, but – again – this is a big caliber, not an EDC.
  • High: 930 lm (4:30 h). more light than you will ever need. Period.
  • Turbo: 2200 lm (!!) (1:50 h). ridiculously bright, with a throw of 720 meters… it would be insane to use it for ambience illumination, but on ceiling bounce it turns darkness into daylight, even in a large room
The TK70 is a thrower. Usually the multiple LED arrangement is used to get a diffused, floody beam, like – for example - in the TK45, buth this torch is designed differently. The 3 beams, pushed by narrow and deep reflectors, overlap visibly and gracelessly and converge after 4-5 meters in a blinding and tight hotspot that remains bright and focused after hundreds of meters. A side effect is that spill is bright but narrow.
Beam tint is a nice cool white, with some yellow-greenish aura around the hotspot at lower modes, but less evident than on other XM-L lights. At higher modes the hotspot is so blinding that every tint disappears.

warning! the following beamshots are not really indicative of actual brightness... wall shots are dimmed to better show tint and patterns, but in real life the TK70 (as well as the other torches portrayed) is much brighter (and definitely blinding on a white wall on turbo)! outdoor shots are all but "scientific"... i can't say how far are the trees in the background, and the torches have been held in random positions during the shooting sessions (my tripod didn't work as intended, so I had to take some picture the following night, and this created some wild variability)...

TK70turbo_resize.jpg

IMG_9855_resize.jpg

turbo (2200 lm) - the beam is clearly "lobed" and irregular.

TK70high_resize.jpg

IMG_9854_resize.jpg

high (930 lm)

TK70mid_resize.jpg

IMG_9853_resize.jpg

medium (300 lm)

TK70low_resize.jpg

IMG_9852_resize.jpg

low (20 lm) - too close for the 3 beams to converge completely

I don't own any Olight torch, so i can't directly compare the TK70 with its direct competitors (the SR90 and SR92), but i included some comparison shot with Fenix TK41 and TK45 (both potential cheaper, more practical but much less powerful alternatives) and Zebralight SC600 (that falls in a completely different category but can directly compete with the latter two in its 5 minutes turbo glory)

TK70turbo_resize3.jpg

TK70high_resize3.jpg
TK41turbo_2_resize.jpg

TK45turbo_resize.jpg
SC600turbo_resize.jpg

TK70 turbo (2200 lm), TK70 high (930 lm), TK41 turbo (800 lm), TK45 turbo (760 lm), SC600 turbo (750 lm)

the TK70 is by far the best thrower, followed by the TK41 that has got more spill but a tighter hotspot. the TK45 isn't really a flooder, particularly when compared to a real flooder like the SC600, but for sure is more oriented for short and medium range use, with its bigger and smoother hotspot

IMG_9854_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9832_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9836_resize_resize.jpg

IMG_9841_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9855_resize_resize.jpg

TK70 high (930 lm), TK41 turbo (800 lm), TK45 turbo (760 lm), SC600 turbo (750 lm), TK70 turbo (2200 lm)

Impressive as it is, the Fenix TK70 is a very specialized torch, that most people will never find an actual use for. A couple of these on a fixed mount can be a much cheaper alternative to high end search HIDs, but – excluding potential professional users – who does really need 2200 lumens in a 406 x 105 mm torch that weighs 1380 g loaded with 4 cells? To make things worse, Fenix does not provide any practical mean to carry it… the included shoulder strap (for submachine gun style carry) looks cheap (every similar strap can be used, anyway), and can't be directly locked to the head but needs to be hooked at the lanyard; the whole feels uncomfortably unstable and I'm still trying to find a better way to do it… for sure, at the moment there's no brighter mass produced light (at least I think…), for long range use the TK70 it's able to out-throw even the Olight SR90 (that's much easier to carry around, by the way), and it's much cheapear than other comparable lights.
Who likes brute force, even at the expense of usability will love it. And of course will use it much less than more modest but practical torches.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Aha, another review about thismonster.
Big, bad, heavy, ugly and shaped exactly like something you could find behind Darth Vader's toilet in a Star Wars movie (imperial toilet sucker TS-1).
That'i exactly what I feel about it.
By the way, nice pitctures, especially loving to see the first outdoor beamshot. The tint looks really good.
And it will definitely great for fenix to provide another kind of highend shoulder strap.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics!

One note about usability, just use 2 x 32600 and a dummy cell/spacer, put the 2 cells at the tailcap end to balance it. It would weigh 1kg only (400g savings) and be in a slightly shorter length. Much more usable. <<-- By the end of Dec, i should have used this flashlight in such a format for well over 1000hrs. Kaidomain have unprotected ones which are of a good quality, 4.5AH @ 5A and i personally tested like 5200mAh @ 1A. It would just be ~ 37 watt-hrs compared to 4 x NiMH 40W att-hrs. Usual warnings on handling unprotected cells apply here.

The 105mm head cannot be helped, if you want it to throw - so that is not a negative actually. Some folks just throw comments around and say that the size of the head is too big. For me I am just really glad that Fenix gives us a very high quality light (with warranty) and managed to secure a unit from my regular dealer for 180 bucks. It has enough mass to soak up the heat can easily do 10 mins in the tropics at night (30 deg C) in Turbo without any airflow help and still hover around 45 deg C, hand-holdable territory. At about 10-15 deg C, it can easily gun in Turbo for a full hour and still hold it normally (not near the head of course), if you do not mind subjecting the driver to higher temps.

Last edited:

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
Those outdoor beamshots look pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing. Way out of my league, but i would love just to have one to play with for a while.

dheim

Newly Enlightened
this is fun... i was just walking on a small road behind my house with the TK70 on turbo... a car was approaching on the opposite direction and it suddenly stopped in a slightly wider area and waited for the other car (me!) to pass... the driver convinced himself to proceed just when i set the output on low and changed direction... :nana:
this thing is brighter than xenon headlights!

by the way that road is a really sweet place, i'm thinking to do some beamshots there sometimes...

Aross21

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have one? What batteries do you use in it?

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Me too, Tenergy D cells, 10 Ah (white label).

Its a great light. A bit bulky to carry around as an edc light...but the strong floody beam is very useful.

:D

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Me too, Tenergy D cells, 10 Ah (white label).

Its a great light. A bit bulky to carry around as an edc light...but the strong floody beam is very useful.

That's what I would buy. I have the blue Tenergy and they will work great after fully charged. But they just won't hold a charge for extended periods. I have bunch of them and after they sit fully charged for a month or more and you try using them the TK70 will switch from turbo mode to high mode in no time. The white Tenergy AA cells I have are awesome. So I would only think the white Tenergy D cells would be as well.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That's what I would buy. I have the blue Tenergy and they will work great after fully charged. But they just won't hold a charge for extended periods. I have bunch of them and after they sit fully charged for a month or more and you try using them the TK70 will switch from turbo mode to high mode in no time. The white Tenergy AA cells I have are awesome. So I would only think the white Tenergy D cells would be as well.

The white wrapped C cells rock too, I use them in some of the Lambda Lights, etc.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was using Tenergy 10,000mah Premium White label NIMHs in my TK70 and they work well.

Now I use Imedion D Cell 9500mah NIMH LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries in it because the LSD ones loose charge at a very slow rate compared to normal NIMHs.

I could pick up my TK70 after a year of having the Imedion LSDs in the light without a recharge and it would still have well over 85% charge in it.

The standard NIMHs would have been completely dead by that time.

Normal rechargeable batteries lose approximately 15% of the stored energy in just one week. Imedion and Centura LSD batteries still contain 85% of their initial stored energy after one year.

Check out LSDs and read up on their benefits.

Centura or Imedion LSD NIMHs are both good stuff!!

Cheers

Last edited:

Belgrath04

Newly Enlightened
Do the LSD require anything unique for charging.

On that note what charger do you use? How big a difference do charger quality make?

rumack

Enlightened
Hi Belgrath04,

Welcome to CPF! :welcome:

No, LSD batteries do not require anything unique for charging. They have the same requirements as any other NiMH battery, they just have the advantage that they don't lose their charge sitting on a shelf as fast as regular NiMH batteries.

Quality battery chargers are important. Do some searching over in the Batteries section of CPF and you will find lots of information from people that know much more about them than do I. The major points for chargers I have gathered from my own reading here are:
1. The charging rate should be appropriate for the battery's capacity. You don't want to charge the battery too fast as that will cause premature aging. That said, too slow is not great for the battery either.
2. The charger should be a "smart charger", that is it should charge the battery based on the current charge level of the battery, not simply charge the battery for a set number of hours.
3. The charger needs to terminate (ie, stop charging) properly. A charger that doesn't properly sense when the battery is charged will cook the battery.

For charging D cells, I use a Maha MH-C808M charger. It is an expensive charger, but I liked it because it will charge up to 8 AAA/AA/C/D cells at a time. There are less expensive, smaller quality chargers that will charge a maximum of 4 D cells but I wanted the larger capacity since I made a decision a few years ago to make a significant commitment to NiHM rechargeable batteries because of the repeated problems I encountered with alkalines (ie, leaks). Thomas Distributing is a good online merchant for batteries and chargers, and they have a good reputation here on CPF.

Enjoy! And remember the CPF creed - why choose between one light or the other when you should simply buy both! :devil:

Last edited:

DNA2012

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased one of these. I cant wait till it gets here. Yep! it does look funny. But after watching a few videos of this thing in action it rocks. What would be the best rechargeables to use in it??

DNA2012

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK70

I recently purchased the fenix TK70. Being relatively new to the flashlight world. I got it for $150 off ebay. Being that I haven't received it yet. Would be interested in opinions. Especially the best batteries to use with it. Anything or problems to watch for with this light? Just any general info not offered up by the manufacturer. Thanks! :grin2:
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh571/ajones1051/T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k7GiBQsrebKkY60_57.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Football7283

Newly Enlightened
I have a TK70 and a LD10. Both purchased on the internet and registered with Fenix. Both are still under warranty. The TK70 is an outstanding flashlight, but have had some problems with the LD10. After contacting Fenix about the problems with the LD10 and their refusing to honor their warranty, I cannot and will not recommend a Fenix flashlight.