New 618 Lumen Alkaline Dorcy

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried the new 618 lumen Metal Gear Performance Dorcy? I personally like the Metal Gear Performance line and an XM-L makes for a very tempting light. 173 lumens on low with a runtime of 25 hours. I think im going to have to grab one!

http://dorcy.com/p-438-41-0435-metal-gear-xl-m-extreme-600-lumen-led-flashlight.aspx

Looks good! May not be the "best in its class" but its up there. Price could have been a bit lower though. For that price, you could actually get a better light.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $120 you could not only get a better light but one with more features and more settings.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
While it's a bit overpriced... I'm always excited to see any brand step up and bring out something like this... I'm sure some non-flashaholics will buy this and become a flashaholic.... However, I'm really impressed that they state not only that it's a Cree but that's an Xm-L tested to ANSI specs...

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also glad to see lights in brick and mortar stores stepping up! I also, however, would not pay $120.00 for this light. Coleman makes a similar light that I bought last June for just over $50.00! It is a MCE and is rated at 500 lumens, but it is a solid light, has two modes (simple), and is the best "bang for my buck" light I own!!

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
I think I like this light because it is so simple. I am a "less is more" kinda guy. I don't need SOS, strobe, 50 brightness levels, etc. High and low is perfect. While I do think its expensive right now its 95 bucks shipped with 8batteries. That's not bad. Once OpticsPlanet starts selling them they will be available for less. If anyone grabs one please post back and let us know how it works.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I like this light because it is so simple. I am a "less is more" kinda guy. I don't need SOS, strobe, 50 brightness levels, etc. High and low is perfect. While I do think its expensive right now its 95 bucks shipped with 8batteries. That's not bad. Once OpticsPlanet starts selling them they will be available for less. If anyone grabs one please post back and let us know how it works.

You hit it right with what you said above. You can get a light with more features, but not everyone wants that. I think Dorcy took the right approach here - keep it simple, and produce a great light that anyone can use. I own this light and it is really nice.

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've had this light for about a week now, and I really like it. Originally I thought it was a bit behind the competition due to lack of settings or modes, but then I realized that its simplicity is part of what makes it so good. Let's face it, not everyone out there loves flashlights like us CPF members, and multi modes and flashing SOS etc. is just confusing stuff to get in the way of light when they need it for joe home owner. I think Dorcy made the right move with this light, besides we didn't need another alternative to the TK40, this simple version is really good at what it has set out to be.

Other info:

- Fit and finish are excellent!
- Beam is excellent - nice hot spot for good throw and two layers of fading spill, really great beam pattern.
- It tail stands, which is important to me, and a very useful feature.
- Has anti roll away built in with bezel and tail cap design.
- Comes with lanyard.
- Dude, buy it now it's on sale for less than $95 and comes with a pack of 8 (even tho you only need 6) quality alky batteries and free shipping!
- It can run on only 3 batteries if you need to for some reason.
- I really like the looks.

I haven't had a chance to run it with rechargeables yet, but I bet it will be even better. For now I'm really impressed with how well it does with the alkys.

On a side note - I've been into flashlights all my life - I'm 43 now. You can see from my avatar info I've been a CPF member for almost 10 years, so I've seen a lot of changes come to pass in the world of flashlights. I remember when not so long ago - maybe 5-6 years ago, we were spending countless hours and tons of money building custom made flashlights that were not this good - quality/output/runtime wise. Now anyone can just lay down $90 bucks and have a flashlight we would have given our left arm for not all that long ago. These are good times for the flashaholic!

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
This one has sparked my interest. Once in a while, Dorcy comes out with a nice product and this sounds like one of them. I might have to shoot Mark, at Dorcy, an e-mail and see what he has to say about this one. I still get a lot of use out of my old Dorcy 220's and they have proven to be very durable.

luvsdaheat

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is interested in this light, The Home Depot has it on special at half off = $49.99 with free shipping!
(dorcy 41-0435)

Sale Ends 11-28, so better order while you can!

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Looking at their website they make some pretty sweet lights. Not bad, not bad at all.

Flashlight Enthusiast
for that price i might just snag one.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Have any owner's of this light done a runtime test? I am seriously doubting the nearly 6 hr runtime on high, if by miracle I'm proven wrong, the price would be worth it, despite having a plastic lens.
In retrospect, the Olght S65 also uses an XML, 6 AA, 700 lumens @1.3 hrs. The difference in runtime is massive, I just don't get it.

Last edited:

01xr650r

Newly Enlightened
Here's a link to a review a CPF member did. Looks completely unregulated as SureAddicted just said. Still for 50 bucks for a present or light that runs on normal batteries would be nice imo. I also think some eneloops or other rechargeable would help. It says no lithium though, I'm not sure if it is due to heat, like it can't run steady for the full capacity of lithiums on high, or if there is another reason? I would think it is heat issue, but who knows.

RCantor

Enlightened
It's tested to ansi standards but the specs aren't ansi specs. If you call it a 600 lm light the run time is ~75 min to 50% brightness. The max output is over 600 lm but it rapidly drops down to 450. If you call it a 450 - 500 lm light then it runs ~110 - 130 min to 50% brightness.